EFFDC67F-4D1E-4190-8A8A-60589576C01E (resized).jpeg
D337FB9A-A3E8-400D-88F9-E40A2A18E094 (resized).jpeg
thumb-ez bend (resized).jpg
ls-dubro-ez-bender-4 (resized).jpg
ls-dubro-ez-bender-3 (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
20170411_123129 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

I picked up a couple spinners for my Gottlieb Fun Land but saw on 1 of the wires it is going to be a little short. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks

20170411_123129 (resized).jpg20170411_123129 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Well, you can try and solder an extension on it.

#3 7 years ago

I've done it on a late model Williams game but am not sure if it would work on a Gottlieb design from this era.

Essentially the spinner is two layers(the faces) with a core between them and the wire clamped between them. If you can slightly pry the the two layers apart to expose the clamped wire you could possibly pull the wire and replace with a newly created wire and clamp back into place.

Needless to say your artwork may suffer along the way but this is the way I rebuilt a spinner for a Johnny Mnemonic back in the day.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks

You can use silver solder to weld another piece on, but in doing so it will remove the temper of the piano wire. this will make it bend very easy and may not hold its shape for long. If you want to try this I can give you a piece of silver solder.

#5 7 years ago

I would probably try the least destructive methods first. I would bend a wire to fit the whole right side leg and extended out as far as desired. Then I would shrink tube the new wire to the old one.

Soldering right to the end without some kind of surrounding shroud or coupling tube does not sound like it would take a ball strike.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad something can be done to make it work.

I was wondering if a guy at a welding shop could attach a piece of wire on the short end & I would use a dremmel to grind it to the correct shape/size?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad something can be done to make it work.
I was wondering if a guy at a welding shop could attach a piece of wire on the short end & I would use a dremmel to grind it to the correct shape/size?

Doubtful.

You may end up having to get a replacement and create and apply the correct art to it.

#8 7 years ago

I would think one would have better luck soldering a stiff wire directly to the spinner square's edge,
than trying to solder an extension to the remaining broken wire.
Probably will not hold up over the long term though.

#9 7 years ago

i have fixed that issue before, i made the new wire from a piece of piano wire of the same gauge. i cut the broken wire off at the spinner. then i drilled out the remaining wire from the crimped edge. i then put the new wire into the hole with some two part epoxy.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i have fixed that issue before, i made the new wire from a piece of piano wire of the same gauge. i cut the broken wire off at the spinner. then i drilled out the remaining wire from the crimped edge. i then put the new wire into the hole with some two part epoxy.

I can see that working. Ingenious, Dave.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I can see that working. Ingenious, Dave.

thanks mike, i tried a few other methods and that worked the best.
this is a must have tool for bending piano wire

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

this is a must have tool for bending piano wire

Where do you get such wonderful toys!?

#14 7 years ago

I was going to suggest the solder idea but boilerman's drilling idea seems like possibly the better option.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

as requested
amazon.com link »

PM sent

#16 7 years ago

Ok. I will try to do this.

boilerman - I am ordering the wire bending tool from Amazon.

I am going to order some piano wire also. Do you happen to know which gauge is correct?

Thanks boilerman

#17 7 years ago

i don't recall, i would need to put a set of calipers on it to be sure. i will check if no one else chimes in

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i don't recall, i would need to put a set of calipers on it to be sure. i will check if no one else chimes in

Oh duh.. I over think things sometimes. We have a caliper at work.... if not I'll stop at Harbor Freight.

#19 7 years ago

there were some funland spinners on ebay, don't think they sold.

wish somebody would make decals for those ducks.

#20 7 years ago

I looked on Ebay & didn't see them.

I'm going to try boilerman's idea & try to add a wire. The wire bender tool should be here tomorrow & I measured the wire with a caliper & got 0.04. I am using a cheap caliper. Does that sound right? Which wire would that be?

#21 7 years ago

One more thought, if it will still spin.

A small metal tube, hobby store that the wire nub fits in. Cut a 3-5mm section, whats appropriate,
and a small length of same thickness, rigid, that fits half way into the sleeve.

You can solder with regular solder and polish, epoxy, etc.

You might, depending on anchor need a minor adjustment.....

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I'm going to try boilerman's idea & try to add a wire. The wire bender tool should be here tomorrow & I measured the wire with a caliper & got 0.04. I am using a cheap caliper. Does that sound right? Which wire would that be?

that should be about right.
tip>>>>> leave the end that goes to the eyelet at the post a little longer. this way you can trim it after you test fit it. better to long than to short and have to start all over

#23 7 years ago

Hey there! A good TIG welder should have no problem doing a fusion weld to join a new piece to the end. He would need to have a bottle of water and a air nozzle on stand by.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

ebay.com link: Two Spinners for Gottlieb FUN LAND FUN PARK Pinball

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

ebay.com link » Two Spinners For Gottlieb Fun Land Fun Park Pinball

Am I the only one that moved my mouse back and forth between the two pictures to get the duck to quack?? Hahahaha!!

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I've performed this spinner miracle, too. I used the piano wire that PB Resource sells...the package comes with a few different gauges and I found one matched pretty good. This was for the spinner on a Buccaneer. It's still going strong to this day and you know how beat that spinner gets!

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

piano wire that PB Resource sells...the package comes with a few different gauges

Got a PBR part number for the piano wire kit?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Got a PBR part number for the piano wire kit?

MAT-MUSIC-KIT 2.00

#30 7 years ago

I completely replaced the wire for my BoP spinner. I gently opened the pressed metal sandwich of the spinner plate, and removed the original wire so as not to deform it. This way I could use it as a template.

As far as bending the replacement wire, buy this:

https://dubro.com/products/e-z-bender-wire-forming-tool

The ease and accuracy you can attain with this tool is incredible. With it, I was able to bend the wire perfectly and once re-fitted to the spinner plate, it's a perfectly balanced spinner.

ls-dubro-ez-bender-3 (resized).jpgls-dubro-ez-bender-3 (resized).jpg

ls-dubro-ez-bender-4 (resized).jpgls-dubro-ez-bender-4 (resized).jpg

thumb-ez bend (resized).jpgthumb-ez bend (resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from PNorth:

I completely replaced the wire for my BoP spinner. I gently opened the pressed metal sandwich of the spinner plate, and removed the original wire so as not to deform it. This way I could use it as a template.
As far as bending the replacement wire, buy this:
https://dubro.com/products/e-z-bender-wire-forming-tool
The ease and accuracy you can attain with this tool is incredible. With it, I was able to bend the wire perfectly and once re-fitted to the spinner plate, it's a perfectly balanced spinner.

Thanks PNorth -

I will gently try to separate the spinner pieces & make a exact pattern of the wire. What type of glue will you use when putting it back together?

I ordered .075 piano wire from Amazon... which was too thick & am reordering .049 which should be more close to the original.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

What type of glue will you use when putting it back together?

You don't need any glue. Just use a ball peen hammer to tap the metal sandwich of the spinner flat again.

It was easier than I thought it would be... and a lot easier when I bought that E-Z Bender!

Good luck!

#33 7 years ago

I didn't want to damage the paint by forcing it to much. How did you get it apart? Thanks

#34 7 years ago

The make up of a Bride of Pinbot spinner may be more forgiving than that of Fun Land.

If you can pry the layers apart enough to get a new wire in there you will be able to pinch them back together to hold.

3 years later
#35 3 years ago

I know this is a zombie thread but I referenced it recently and I think I can add some more details.

I needed a Nine Ball spinner which is tough to find so I decided to make one from a broke spinner.

I tried to drill it out as mentioned above but broke three drill bits. I then decided to pry it apart. There is some tricky bending involved. Not all my bends turned out perfect but it got the job done. See pics for reference.

3EBABC27-AC27-4516-9562-02D15E6B0A22 (resized).jpeg3EBABC27-AC27-4516-9562-02D15E6B0A22 (resized).jpeg8E594516-EAD5-4340-9FA8-4C8A9ED8357E (resized).jpeg8E594516-EAD5-4340-9FA8-4C8A9ED8357E (resized).jpegD337FB9A-A3E8-400D-88F9-E40A2A18E094 (resized).jpegD337FB9A-A3E8-400D-88F9-E40A2A18E094 (resized).jpegEFFDC67F-4D1E-4190-8A8A-60589576C01E (resized).jpegEFFDC67F-4D1E-4190-8A8A-60589576C01E (resized).jpeg
#36 3 years ago

A fine job.
I learned something new.

#37 3 years ago

I used the wire bender that was recommended by PNorth. It works great! I have the other wire bender shown also and I didn’t like that one very much. The Dubro one is much better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-way-to-add-wire-on-spinner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.