(Topic ID: 269777)

And... Is there a tool for this ? (Another question for a tool)

By undrdog

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by GSones
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E4179CDF-3AE7-4168-928D-7E555A9DA227 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6219 (resized).JPG
IMG_6200 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I'm trying to clean this advance unit. It runs the thermometer on Heat Wave. The band of steel that is the "mercury" in the thermometer runs along the white reel, which is kind of a pulley.

I cannot get the reel off. Also, the sprocket won't come off. After removing the hex nuts, I can wiggle it about 1/2" up the spindle, but that's it.

I sure don't want to bend these parts by forcing them off, but I've got to get them off so I can get it all cleaned.

Is there a tool for this? Some pinball mechanic trick that I don't know about?

Thanks!

Mike

IMG_6200 (resized).JPGIMG_6200 (resized).JPGIMG_6219 (resized).JPGIMG_6219 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

I just got done cleaning that unit on my Heatwave Wave. I used a small rubber deadblow hammer to lightly drive the shaft through the disc. Left the nut with about two turns on the shaft to tap against to not damage threads. Support the chassis while tapping. Penetrating oil on the all the shafts and the rest comes apart. No need to pry on the disc.

#3 3 years ago

Just saw that Harbor freight has a gear pulling tool set for $20. Thinking I’ll try that on the sprocket side of the unit & use the penetrating oil.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from gottliebgreg:

I just got done cleaning that unit on my Heatwave Wave.

Did you repaint the thermometer band?

#5 3 years ago

Mine has a weird cloth ribbon. Doesn't appear to be homemade so I'm living with it for now. I might make a new one in the future.

#6 3 years ago

The gear puller didn’t work. Ended up getting the sprocket loose by working it back and forth with a large needle nose.

This time I removed the switches and coils and left them hanging, but I had to cut the 13 Bakelite connections. After reassembling the unit in the back box, I think it is easier to cut all the wires and just resolder them all.

The unit works great, only I lost the thermometer spring, so that's not back on yet. I put it someplace safe a few days ago, so I wouldn’t lose it.

The funny thing is, the special and Blow Your Top now only light when they are supposed to. No idea why they were always on before or what fixed it. One less thing to worry about.

Big decision time: break down & clean the match unit on GPs, or just let it be. It’s sluggish, but it works.

Tomorrow I’m taking everything off the playfield but the pop bumpers, for a good cleaning & waxing. New rubbers, and I can finally see how it plays.

Other owners- do you have one or two bands around your flippers? This one came with two on each.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Other owners- do you have one or two bands around your flippers? This one came with two on each.

Often, two rubber rings are used on the rounded top two inch flippers.
This had to do with the advent of the flipper during the time when the standard pinball was 1/16" larger in diameter. The flipper was not changed when the standard ball size was reduced, and to compensate, double rings were recommended on the flippers. When the flat top flipper was introduced, it was designed for the smaller ball, and so only a single rubber was needed.

#8 3 years ago

jrpinball does that mean that my 1964 machine will never really play as intended, because it was designed & configured for larger balls?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

jrpinball does that mean that my 1964 machine will never really play as intended, because it was designed & configured for larger balls?

Absolutely not. The game was designed for the smaller ball. It's only the flipper die which was never modified for the smaller ball. It doesn't make much of a difference, but I do double the rubbers on the round top 2" flippers.

#10 3 years ago

And... is there a tool for getting lamps out of these holes? The socket won’t flex from behind. My fingers are too big and I don’t have a rug rat to ask for help.

E4179CDF-3AE7-4168-928D-7E555A9DA227 (resized).jpegE4179CDF-3AE7-4168-928D-7E555A9DA227 (resized).jpeg
#11 3 years ago

http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

See rubber lightbulb remover

#12 3 years ago

And I just ordered from them! Hate paying multiple postage’s. Maybe it’s not too late to add on.

#13 3 years ago

Heat shrink. Do you have any? Take a bulb that is already out and shrink some tubing around the glass. Leave rest unshrunk. Now you have a tool.

#14 3 years ago

Bally included a bulb removal tool in the instruction manual/schematic envelope with all of their Flipper Games. It's a 3/8" wooden dowel 2 1/2" long with a piece of rubber hose on the end to grip on the bulb dome.

#15 3 years ago

use an old shooter rod rubber tip

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

use an old shooter rod rubber tip

I have one of those!

#17 3 years ago

Neopream gas line.

#18 3 years ago

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-tool-for-this- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.