5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

92499-circus-tent-for-sale.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I was just talking to a pinball friend about all the recent pinball failures - Skit B, Vonnie and JPop - and the challenges that that face the longevity prospects of JJP, Heighway, Dutch and Spooky. Stern is really the only pinball manufacturer pumping out 4 games a year, globally.

I know this is a morbid thought and (knock on wood) this doesn't happen for a very very long long time. What happens if Gary Stern kicks the bucket? Is there a succession plan? I never hear if one of his kids are "learning the ropes" to take over the family business. I know there is an investor element but I would expect Gary's family still owns a majority share. If he was gone would they sell out to investors, offer employee own option (Gomez, etc.), or would that be the end of Stern?

All joking aside, its a sobering thought. If no one in the Stern immediate family has the passion like Gary for pinball, what could happen to Stern - and pinball?

#2 5 years ago

Others will know FAR more than I do but with Stern it seems more like Gary is the business man not the designer, programmer or anything like that. In that situation if something terrible happened the company should be able to continue on as is so long as it's not some kind of disaster that wipes out all their staff.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

Others will know FAR more than I do but with Stern it seems more like Gary is the business man not the designer, programmer or anything like that. In that situation if something terrible happened the company should be able to continue on as is so long as it's not some kind of disaster that wipes out all their staff.

Gary is the business man but he owns Stern. The question isn't so much COULD Stern continue to make great games - I'm sure they could. The question is who would own them and want to carry the torch, pay the bills, and keep the lights on.

#4 5 years ago

The thread title made me think of succession @ stern in regards to designers/programmers/etc. when they all retire and hang up their flippers. I wonder when we will finally see the next shift of designers at Stern.

#5 5 years ago

If Gary doesn't have a succession plan in place already, he needs one NOW. I work with solely privately held businesses. Most of which are family owned, with the owners being the same generation as Gary. We stress succession planning with all of them. It's not a morbid thought at all either. You also need this for when the current owner steps down and retires. If something sudden does happen, or if you're not planned for who will continue the company, it will suffer greatly.

#6 5 years ago

Billy, did you not listen to Gary at expo ?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Billy, did you not listen to Gary at expo ?

I was too busy playing, talking to people, and sleeping during the seminars.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

What happens if Gary Stern kicks the bucket?

All Men Must Die

Quoted from badbilly27:

Is there a succession plan?

Jared

#9 5 years ago

We don't know the level of ownership or general control the private equity group that invested in Stern has. They may already have a succession plan to keep the business going and growing.

Isn't Gomez number two at Stern now?

#10 5 years ago

I would imagine Gomez is being groomed to take over. IMO, that makes the only sense for his promotion.

Kind of like HHH with WWE (I know he is family, but he is being groomed to take over).

#11 5 years ago

Gary is a solid business man. I'm certain he has a succession plan, and won't be sharing it with any of us....

#12 5 years ago

Gomez

#13 5 years ago

I heard he was going to burn the entire factory around him as a pyre, like the heathen kings of old.

#14 5 years ago

From the rumblings on The Pinside, there are at least 150 people here that think they can do it better. Maybe they're the plan?

#15 5 years ago

Nobody does it better, makes me fell sad for the rest...

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Nobody does it better, makes me feel sad for the rest...

I remember this Carly Simon song.

#17 5 years ago

Maybe Jpop would want to step in and keep things running smoothly?

#18 5 years ago

Seems like a morbid thought... who else would be there to pay tribute to all the aging rock stars of the 70s and 80s?

#19 5 years ago

JPOP's office at Stern:
    92499-circus-tent-for-sale.jpg

#20 5 years ago

Lets keep this topic on track please.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Lets keep this topic on track please.

We do that and there will be no Molly Hatchet pinball machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 35.00
    Hardware
    Filament Printing
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside