(Topic ID: 183550)

Is there a standard way to remove players from a game?

By foobeer

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by foobeer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I've ran into many situations where I or someone else has hit the Start button multiple times and accidentally added too many players than desired. At home, I just turn the machine off/on, but when out in the wild, I usually just have to play out the extra players.

Is there some standard way to remove a player and refund a credit?

#2 7 years ago

Can't refund the credit but a lot of times of some newer games (DMD-era) if you hold the start button in it'll start a completely new games. You won't get any credits back, though. Works great for the free-play-establishments where all the people start 4-player games. Otherwise I just flip the switch. Nobody tends to care much but I could see where people would blow it out of proportion.

#3 7 years ago

Arm up the back and forced out the door.

#4 7 years ago

I have a free play arcade and we reset games pretty frequently, but of course we don't always catch it before a new player wants to start. Frankly, if a guest asked me ahead of time if they could reset a machine, I'd probably be ok with it. But if they just went ahead and reset a game without checking first, I'd be heading back to see who is screwing around with the games.

I like having a free play setup, but this is the main drawback.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Traveler76:

I have a free play arcade and we reset games pretty frequently, but of course we don't always catch it before a new player wants to start. Frankly, if a guest asked me ahead of time if they could reset a machine, I'd probably be ok with it. But if they just went ahead and reset a game without checking first, I'd be heading back to see who is screwing around with the games.
    I like having a free play setup, but this is the main drawback.

What I hate about free play is the abandoned games with the ball in the shooter lane on games like Fireball Classic. The disk keeps spinning as long as a game is running and I don't want to replace that motor.

At least with newer games you can set it to auto-launch so within a few minutes the game will be over.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the answers. I thought I may have been missing something obvious, but guess not.

#7 7 years ago

It's bad at expos, too, where games are on free play. I brought a Starship Troopers which allows up to 6 players, and saw a kid who didn't know what he was doing keep hitting start because he thought that's what it took to get the ball into the shooter lane. Needless to say, he added all 6 players.

I believe the option to restart with the start button only works starting on ball 2, you'd have to get through ball 1 on each player and at least get it to player 1 ball 2.

It's not just DMD games that have this reset feature, though. I know my Alien Poker has it... not sure about Gorgar. Special Force has it.

#8 7 years ago

I always wondered why there isn't a option where you could set it to go back into attract mode after a set amount of time . I would love a seperate setting that would do that .

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

What I hate about free play is the abandoned games with the ball in the shooter lane on games like Fireball Classic. The disk keeps spinning as long as a game is running and I don't want to replace that motor.
    At least with newer games you can set it to auto-launch so within a few minutes the game will be over.

It is a problem.

Modern pinball can get overrun by civilians. They start 4-player games. Or two guys play each other on a 4-player game. Games always seem to be in a game even if nobody is playing one.

To help deal with this they have set all their autoplunger games to autoplunge after 20 seconds or so. Pretty good idea actually.

And to the op of course there's no way to get a refund. Just play em out I guess. When I've done it before I only play 1 player and just plunge player 2 because I cannot stand to play a multiplayer game with myself ever.

No operator, anywhere, would want to buy a pinball machine where any type of refund or redo is an option. There's no value added to an operator and it can only hurt them.

#10 7 years ago

This one drives me nuts at expo's and at home. Stinks when you go up to play a game at expo and someone has started all 4 players lunches 1 or 2 balls then walks away. Same at home drives me nuts when none pinballer starts a game then just walks away. At home go behind people and lunch the balls till game over. Expo try to reset game with credit button on one's you can or just play out all the balls someone started.

#11 7 years ago

You knows what grinds my gears... waiting behind people at an expo to play a game and they think it's ok to start another game when they are finished even though someone has been waiting. Happened to me at LAX this year, after a couple games had to step in with a.. do you mind if i get a game in? Not cool

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

I always wondered why there isn't a option where you could set it to go back into attract mode after a set amount of time . I would love a seperate setting that would do that .

Just set the game to auto-plunge after a certain amount of time. Accomplishes the same thing. Of course, this only works on games with an auto fire feature.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

It's bad at expos, too, where games are on free play

I agree. This happened to me a few times last week at the Louisville Arcade Expo and it's actually what triggered this post. Someone would start a 4 player game, play a ball or two, and then walk away. If I just picked up and finished it, I knew someone would walk up behind me and wonder who was the ahole playing a 4 player game. Instead, I opted to just drain the balls and start a new game. It's one of the few times in my life that I loathed Ball Save.

Also I was playing with a friend at Zanzabar in Louisville, KY and we put in $4 to get the value option for 6 plays. When he started the game, he accidentally added 3 players instead of 2. We ended up adding a 4th player and playing 2 each, but I really don't like having 2 games going at once because it messes with my flow. It's not like I'm good enough that it really matters, but it did affect the personal entertainment factor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-standard-way-to-remove-players-from-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.