(Topic ID: 180287)

Is there a solution yet for the white crust on some metal parts?

By sohchx

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by NicToria
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170204_130613 (resized).jpg
    received_10154276579547314 (resized).jpeg
    1486078552383-1922845576 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

This has probably been asked before but what are you guys using to remove this crust? A wire brush isn't working for me. My apologies if this has already been covered but my search brought up nothing.

1486078552383-1922845576 (resized).jpg1486078552383-1922845576 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

C-L-R (Calcium-Lime-Rust Remover).

Mix 10% C-L-R to 90% water and soak the metal parts in it from as little as 5 minutes to as long as 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the parts so they don't turn black.

#3 7 years ago

This white rust is a zinc oxide....if you search you will find it is a big problem for the construction industry. I read some research papers about removing it and good old vinegar (acetic acid) worked as well as anything. Follow it up with a magic eraser.

#4 7 years ago

Finish off with a wipe down of rubbing alcohol and wax or everbrite, which also makes a commercial product for this to clean, and self level coat.

I start with vinegar, then move to CLR, etc...

#5 7 years ago

I did an entire game with Nevr-Dull (metal cleaner wadding) because the metal underneath also needs to be cleaned and polished regardless. Ultimately it's as much about elbow grease as it is the cleaner you choose.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for all of the tips guys!! Much appreciated!!

#7 7 years ago

Explanation of the formation of white rust: http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1220

Wonder how this cold galvanizing spray works to restore/protect a corroded part:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/cold-galvanizing-compound-spray

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Explanation of the formation of white rust: http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1220
    Wonder how this cold galvanizing spray works to restore/protect a corroded part:
    https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/cold-galvanizing-compound-spray

Awesome Find, Thank you!

Ill be picking some up! They can be found in Ace and local Hardware stores...

Cant wait to try on metal that sits by the salt water ocean air.

#9 7 years ago

I've used the cold galvanizing spray on our galvanized boat trailer.
    It stays a little rough to the touch & is like a light gray flat spray paint.

#10 7 years ago

A friend loaned me some Muriatic acid to test with. We'll see how that goes.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_-_K:

I've used the cold galvanizing spray on our galvanized boat trailer.
    It stays a little rough to the touch & is like a light gray flat spray paint.

exactly what i found as well .. if grey primer is the look you want its perfect

#12 7 years ago

After and before

received_10154276579547314 (resized).jpegreceived_10154276579547314 (resized).jpeg
    20170204_130613 (resized).jpg20170204_130613 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

C-L-R would have cleaned up that washer nicely.

Maybe even Evapo-Rust would have worked.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

C-L-R would have cleaned up that washer nicely.
    Maybe even Evapo-Rust would have worked.

CLR was $22 A gallon. That's insane so I passed on that. Evaporust is cheaper, which I already had and use allot, but again to slow. The acid was $7 a gallon and it works instantly so for me the acid wins.

#15 7 years ago

i have had great luck with a light wire brushing (one that wont scratch it) then I polish with some autosol paste, sometimes it looks almost like chrome when done.

#16 7 years ago

Good info for the future. Thanks guys.

#17 7 years ago

We looked at a pinball with this type of stuff EVERYWhere.... Metal- Switches...ETC... The price way to high anyway... But can this be cleaned off electrical stuff.. Or does someone just RUN AWAY... ????? THX>

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-solution-yet-for-the-white-crust-on-some-metal-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.