Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2001B16.JPG
low scope & playboy 010.JPG
low scope & playboy 008.JPG
low scope & playboy 006.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I just picked up a Bally Playboy machine that is very nice original condition . The playfield had several lines running
from front to back that I think is referred to as planking . What is the best way to make this look better ?
thanks Scott

#2 10 years ago

Check out this guys smear method:

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/2001pf.htm

#3 10 years ago

Not really sure if what you are describing is planking. Planking lines would be short (inch or two), not running from front to back. Photo would help a lot.

If it is planking, the question is whether it's just in the clear or is down into the paint. Wet the area with some Naptha and see if the lines disappear.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for your reply . I am not sure if this is planking . Here are a few photos . low scope & playboy 006.JPGlow scope & playboy 006.JPGlow scope & playboy 008.JPGlow scope & playboy 008.JPGlow scope & playboy 010.JPGlow scope & playboy 010.JPG

#5 10 years ago

That looks planky

#6 10 years ago

If it's into the paint, which it appears to be (test as I described above), either live with it, send it out to be professionally redone or find a replacement playfield, if you can. There's really no in-between choice. Personally, I think the smear method (unless you perfectly match paint) looks like sh*t. Even in that case you'll have to sand out the raised areas, so it's a major project.

#7 10 years ago

That's cracking in the clear coat and you should be loving life in my opinion. Planking to me is when the wood grain is raised and I don't see that in your photos. What you have won't get worse in a home environment and game play will not be effected. You could sand and clear the entire playfield to get rid of that but my advice is learn to live with it.

Here's a picture of planking in my view.

Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

2001B16.JPG2001B16.JPG

#8 10 years ago

Thanks again for the ideas . The playfield has almost no wear on it and I would really like to see if there
was something that would make it look better . I am a do it yourself-er . ...so I might give it a try . If I were to sand the clear what would I do it with ? I did not have any naptha . I will pick some up and try that first .

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from g43crazy:

The playfield has almost no wear on it and I would really like to see if there
was something that would make it look better .

Go for it. I know how the smallest details can bug me. And this could be a skill for you to learn and use going forward.

That said, I keep going back to your pictures and realized something else. - There are no freaking ball swirls! If your entire playfield looks like that it is a low played, well loved, 35 year old machine. And those magnified photos can play tricks on perception... My recommendation is you wax it, play it and be very proud of it.

Best wishes in whatever you do.

Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#10 10 years ago

I think you may be right on the cracking Mr68. It kept bugging me that it just doesn't look like planking I've seen before.

g43 crazy, I always use Naptha, but I would think alcohol would work fine for the test. Since California doesn't like Naptha I'm going to have to switch myself. The point is to apply something wet (not water) that will smooth out the light defraction. If it is a cracked clear, it should become almost invisible.

#11 10 years ago

Yep, looks like normal crazing in the lacquer coat, though pretty minimal. IMO it is way not worth it to try to sand and re-clear, just wax and play and enjoy.

#12 10 years ago

Use Naphtha as your "clear test".

You don't want anything like water or alcohol that could soak into the cracks and expand the wood fibers. This would make the planking worse overnight.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You don't want anything like water or alcohol that could soak into the cracks and expand the wood fibers.

Good point. Any suggestions for those of us who can no longer buy Naptha?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Good point. Any suggestions for those of us who can no longer buy Naptha?

How come you cant buy Naptha anymore? I thought I saw some at the hardware store the other day. I am in CA as well.

#15 10 years ago

At Home Depot it is labeled Naphtha VM&P.

#16 10 years ago

None of the stores around me sell it. It might just be LA and Riverside counties. It has something to do with the smog control district. For example, you can still buy it above 3,000 feet, even in LA county, for another year or so.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 22.50
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-repair-for-planking-lines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.