(Topic ID: 247123)

Is there a reason so few people are willing to ship?

By CaffeineHound

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

Hi all, I'm relatively new to this site but I am a long time loiterer! The thing that held me off was looking at listings, very few people seem to be willing to ship! I was wondering if this was actually the case or whether people just don't bother ticking the shipping boxes as standard practice. I've been after a Road Show for years after playing it on holiday in the early 2000s, and with few machines in the UK I have so far had zero luck.

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 months ago
    Quoted from CaffeineHound:

Hi all, I'm relatively new to this site but I am a long time loiterer! The thing that held me off was looking at listings, very few people seem to be willing to ship! I was wondering if this was actually the case or whether people just don't bother ticking the shipping boxes as standard practice. I've been after a Road Show for years after playing it on holiday in the early 2000s, and with few machines in the UK I have so far had zero luck.
    Thanks in advance!

Sellers don’t want to be responsible for shipping. That’s the buyers problem.

#3 7 months ago

it can be a pain in the ass and lots of variables out of your control in transit that can damage the machine.

when the buyer cant visual inspect the machine in person there can be discrepancies in opinions on conditions and as we all know the pictures are never the same as what it looks like in person

sketchy payment options

#4 7 months ago

It's also very annoying to browse through companies to find the best rates, there are the custom issues...
    Be fast and grab one in EU while you still can, only a few hours drive and no customs yet
    Have seen a few in France and Nederlands

#5 7 months ago

I don’t mind shipping at all but when it comes to shipping a game out of the US it has become almost unbearable.
    There is just way too much paperwork and some countries even want the wood you use to crate heat treaded and certified.
    Add to that nine times out of ten the recipients want you to falsify documents saying a $8000 game is $800 and it just becomes easier not to deal with it at all.
    So if the concern is why most sellers don’t want to ship out of the US that probably covers some of it.
    Wish it were not like that seemed much easier 15 or 20 years ago.

#6 7 months ago

Cash is king...too many potential problems when dealing with other payments

#7 7 months ago

Because fuck taking a day off from work for the 4-8 hour shipping window only for the shipping company to never show up. Happened twice, never again.

I'm also lucky enough to live within driving range of a considerable population of pinball nerds

#8 7 months ago
    Quoted from BIGMAC76:

Cash is king...too many potential problems when dealing with other payments

Yep! Also too much liability and potential for he said/she said if something happens in transit (or doesn't happen and someone claims it did). Bring the cash, check out the game to ensure you're happy, load it up and go.

#9 7 months ago

Dealing with shipping companies is a pain in the ass. Our local ones couldn’t keep an appointment if their life depended on it.

#10 7 months ago

I've shipped games.

Here's the thing, I work from home, so I'm pretty flexible, but waiting for the shipping company to show up is a pain in the ass for most people. They give big windows, they can be flakey. But if the buyer arranges shipping it's not bad for me personally. For others I can see why it's a drag.

Payment is sketchy, you can't take cash like normal, so you gotta trust that there isn't some kind of wire transfer scam. Not unavoidable, but another pain and source of stress.

You ship a game and who knows what happens to it. Things break in transit, even without a forklift through the side. Is the buyer cool? Nobody wants the hassle of some nitpicker giving you grief because it's not working because a wire came loose in shipping and they can't fix it.

Or, there's some little defect you didn't notice, you didn't document, and they're on your ass about. Someone comes in person to inspect it's on them to see it.

Just overall a pain, I prefer to not do it. Much much much easier to deal with a local buyer. But as I said, I have, it's not not my first choice for reasons above.

#11 7 months ago

Thank you all for the prompt replies it has been an interesting read so far! I find the grim outlook in relation to shipping amusing, I didn't know you all had it so bad over in the beautiful USA. Coming from a small island nation and being able to send anything anywhere in the UK / Europe next day for under £9 with a 1 hour window I have been spoilt. That said my business imports ex-parlour pachinko machines and refits them for UK use and we rarely have problems importing from Japan. Is goods in transit insurance not standard practice in the US? Thanks again people!

#12 7 months ago

Imo if I’m a buyer I want to inspect the pin. I’m picky as shit so I don’t want any “this is mint” pin turns out to be so-so not mint.

If I’m a seller it’s just a hassle for me wrap, wait for the shippers to come, get the funds somehow hope it’s not anything that the buyer can reverse or dispute.

Basically if it’s priced good it will sell local. I say local meaning a 500 mile radius because that’s what people have driven to pick up pins at my house.

I won’t drive more than 100 miles but some people don’t mind driving.

#13 7 months ago

It's a giant pain if you don't have a garage

#14 7 months ago

I sold a Road Kings to rotordave and it went super smooth. I packed it up right in cardboard and he arranged the shipping. I dropped it off at a shipper who specializes in container shipments of exotic cars etc and they got it to him a few months later when they had enough to fill a container. Easy peezy!

#15 7 months ago

I'm not sure what shipping company use but the 4-8 hour wait window to pick up a machine is baloney. I use NAVL/ STI and they call a half hour before pick up every time. You simply just have to request it. I never have to be home and wait 4-8 hours. Ez peezy. Shipping is great.

#16 7 months ago
    Quoted from kklank:

I'm not sure what shipping company use but the 4-8 hour wait window to pick up a machine is baloney. I use NAVL/ STI and they call a half hour before pick up every time. You simply just have to request it. I never have to be home and wait 4-8 hours. Ez peezy. Shipping is great.

The problem is not every NAVL/STI affiliate operates the same way. I gave up trying to use NAVL/STI after they missed two appointments. Our local affiliate sucks.

#17 7 months ago

It's can be a hassle. It can take a lot of extra time, and there are many ways something can go sideways. Payment issues, transportation issues, damage in transit, being lost in transit, falling off a forklift/dock/truck, being stored outside in poor weather, unhappy/nitpicky buyers. There's a lot that can happen.

Several things have to go right for a successful delivery to happen, but if just one thing goes wrong, it can turn into a big headache.

It's simply not worthwhile to a lot of people.

But, some individuals have no trouble and ship fairly regularly. Retailers that ship games regularly have a streamlined process that probably makes things a lot easier.

Personally, I just don't want to take the time or risk. But, I also live in a reasonably populated corner of the country, so buying & selling locally isn't usually too difficult. People in more remote areas may have fewer options.

#18 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

transportation issues, damage in transit, being lost in transit, falling off a forklift/dock/truck, being stored outside in poor weather, unhappy/nitpicky buyers. There's a lot that can happen.

This is why you see some sellers say, " Buyer is responsible for shipping. I will work with your shipper."

When the buyer calls the shipper and makes the arrangements, then if things go wrong during shipping it is all on the buyer.

The seller still has to deal with the money part and take that risk, but when the buyer's shippers make the pickup and load the truck, the seller is done.

Did a fork lift stab the pin? It is the buyer's problem do deal with shipping.

Did the pin fall off of the loading dock and get crushed? It is the buyer who has to waste his time on the phone in an effort to get things fixed.

EDIT: Something similar is called FOB. Free on Board

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fob.asp

What Is Free On Board—FOB?
    Free on board is a trade term that indicates whether the seller or the buyer is liable for goods that are damaged or destroyed during shipping. "FOB shipping point" or "FOB origin" means the buyer is at risk once the seller ships the goods. "FOB destination" means the seller retains the risk of loss until the goods reach the buyer.

#19 7 months ago

Wayyy too much of a hassle/worry. And yes, cash is indeed king.

#20 7 months ago

I've shipped 2 pins to Cali and one to Texas using NAVL/STI. I always fold down the head (if possible) and shrink wrap (lots of shrink wrap) with cardboard on the sides of the cabinet. Legs stay on. Never had a problem. I always make the buyer set up the shipping and will only use NAVL/STI.

Shipped a Haunted House to Texas a couple of years ago. I was really nervous because it was so heavy and it was a really nice game. Worked out great.

#21 7 months ago

Here in Europe/UK it's usually a case of the seller getting a specific time from the delivery company then as soon as the goods are handed over on the doorstep the seller is done and it's no longer their problem, any damages are to be sorted out with the shipping company; and the seller would not hand it over if they had not received the money already. No forms, nothing to file!

#22 7 months ago
    Quoted from HandsOfStone:

I always fold down the head (if possible) and shrink wrap (lots of shrink wrap) with cardboard on the sides of the cabinet. Legs stay on. Never had a problem.

I make the shipper do all that. Never wrap the game yourself, they'll reject a damage claim and say it was like that before and hidden by wrapping.

#24 7 months ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I make the shipper do all that. Never wrap the game yourself, they'll reject a damage claim and say it was like that before and hidden by wrapping.

Shipped 4 games wrapped, blanketed, cardboarded, and wrapped again on legs....didn't have any issues.....but also no damage claims filed, and all buyers said they got the games in great condition...sooooooo.... lol =|

If you take timestamped pics as you're wrapping it, they don't have much of a defense to claim the damage was pre-existing IMO. Or better yet, video it being wrapped.

#25 7 months ago

It can be a pain sometimes but so can selling locally. At least when the shipper sets a window when they are coming they don't back out last minute and you know the game is paid for eliminating negotiating on a price you are firm on anyway.

#26 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

But, some individuals have no trouble and ship fairly regularly. Retailers that ship games regularly have a streamlined process that probably makes things a lot easier.

Haha, gap could chime in on that. I'm pretty sure he about had to throttle the shipping company that handled the game he sent to me. He chewed them up in the end, and I got a great resolution, but I don't think there was anything particularly 'easy' about it.. he had awesome documentation as well.

#27 7 months ago

I meant that it is easier for retailers to arrange since they do it more frequently and have an established process, packing materials, etc. I never said it was problem free.

#28 7 months ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This is not the experience of myself and many of my collecting friends. The so called "white glove" service is variable depending on who the local or regional terminal sends to your house. I can do a much better prep and wrap than the company. I carefully document the process and have not had any issues.

#29 7 months ago

It’s still a risk, bottom line. I just had a VERY expensive game shipped, and I don’t know where it is currrntly. Somewhere between here and the Midwest, I guess. Kinda would like to know...

Seller wrapped the game beautiful and took photos, so I think we are covered from the damage standpoint. I will be quite disappointed if it doesn’t arrive in really good condition. Then how the hell to get it in the house...?

#30 7 months ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Because fuck taking a day off from work for the 4-8 hour shipping window only for the shipping company to never show up. Happened twice, never again.
    I'm also lucky enough to live within driving range of a considerable population of pinball nerds

You
    Are
    Lonely.

I’ve got a home full of deadbeats with nuthin but time to wait for a shipper to arrive while I continue to work.

#31 7 months ago

I have never bought or sold shipped. I believe cash is king and a person looking at a machine is infinitely better than pictures and descriptions. I'm luck to be in an area where there are many machines available and buyers.

#32 7 months ago

Hi,

As a French Man, I rescently bought a Bally Rapid Fire in Illinois. Hopefully the seller was OK to send overseas...
    I paid an extra for wrapping, which sounds OK for me.
    But managing the shipper was a real pain... From US to France...
    The truck came to Illinois the day after. Pretty Good, but it tooks me one month to know the palet was sent to NY to be onboarded...
    The pallet arrived 6 weeks after to "Le Havre", north of France, on the opposite side of my country...

And then problems began... The US shipper made an error on delivery document and the pinball was declared as automotuve material... You don't imagine the pain it is to hound the one and the other between France and US to get a correction...

You have to know Private owners are not a priority... You're just there to pay. Tooks me 2 weeks to obtain designation change... and there were at the limit of storage duration... I was then threatened for addiational storing cost... 50$ a day... this makes 350$ a week...

Fortunately, the palet was send to Marseille the last day of free storing period... But then french shipper is just saying, now you just have to pass customs to get your material... You have one week...

But French customs does not deal directly with private owner anymore... You have to hire a professional as intermediary... As a result, with lot of stress, and time spend to consult the different custom offices, I hired such one the day after the palet got in south...

Took me 4 days to get the custom sheet... And then I got the possibility to get the machine the last day... But at what cost...

Machine 1000$
    US Truck 112$
    US shipper 403$
    French shipper 500$
    Custom + Pro intermediary 700$

Result??? More than 2700$
    2.7 time more than the original price...

Guest what? I will never try this again... For the coast, the effort, the stress and the time...
    I say that, I say nothing...

#33 7 months ago
    Quoted from Leveeger:

Hi,
    As a French Man, I rescently bought a Bally Rapid Fire in Illinois. Hopefully the seller was OK to send overseas...
    I paid an extra for wrapping, which sounds OK for me.
    But managing the shipper was a real pain... From US to France...
    The truck came to Illinois the day after. Pretty Good, but it tooks me one month to know the palet was sent to NY to be onboarded...
    The pallet arrived 6 weeks after to "Le Havre", north of France, on the opposite side of my country...
    And then problems began... The US shipper made an error on delivery document and the pinball was declared as automotuve material... You don't imagine the pain it is to hound the one and the other between France and US to get a correction...
    You have to know Private owners are not a priority... You're just there to pay. Tooks me 2 weeks to obtain designation change... and there were at the limit of storage duration... I was then threatened for addiational storing cost... 50$ a day... this makes 350$ a week...
    Fortunately, the palet was send to Marseille the last day of free storing period... But then french shipper is just saying, now you just have to pass customs to get your material... You have one week...
    But French customs does not deal directly with private owner anymore... You have to hire a professional as intermediary... As a result, with lot of stress, and time spend to consult the different custom offices, I hired such one the day after the palet got in south...
    Took me 4 days to get the custom sheet... And then I got the possibility to get the machine the last day... But at what cost...
    Machine 1000$
    US Truck 112$
    US shipper 403$
    French shipper 500$
    Custom + Pro intermediary 700$
    Result??? More than 2700$
    2.7 time more than the original price...
    Guest what? I will never try this again... For the coast, the effort, the stress and the time...
    I say that, I say nothing...

Very informative.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 21.00
    $ 115.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside