(Topic ID: 190870)

Is there a place to buy boxes for shipping Playfields?

By PACMAN

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by joemamma
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Congo crate 002 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 003 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 004 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 005 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 006 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 007 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0029 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I need to ship a couple Playfields. Regular and wide body. Anyone sell shipping boxes?

#2 1 year ago

Fedex has bike boxes. I think they're somewhere around $15-$20. If you have a bike shop near you, you might be able to get one for free.

#3 1 year ago

i wish I knew. I wanted to stock up on boxes, but I would have to have them custom made and buy them in massive groups.

#4 1 year ago

I've also used 2-3 large moving boxes from home depot and made my own box (after the playfield was protected with pool noodles, sheets of insulation, plastic wrap, and bubble wrap). However, that takes some effort and fedex won't take "frankenstein boxes" (UPS, will, though).

To me, it seems fedex (at least in my area) is a lot more careful with packages than UPS is.

#5 1 year ago

I have one of the Kruzman wooden crate boxes that I am probably not going to use again. Not sure what it's worth. Holds a standard size Playfield.

IMG_0029 (resized).JPG

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've also used 2-3 large moving boxes from home depot and made my own box (after the playfield was protected with pool noodles, sheets of insulation, plastic wrap, and bubble wrap). However, that takes some effort and fedex won't take "frankenstein boxes" (UPS, will, though).
    To me, it seems fedex (at least in my area) is a lot more careful with packages than UPS is.

I ship frankenstein boxes with fexex all the time. I've been using them to ship fields for about 12 years now and had every type of box imaginable.

#7 1 year ago

I've used bike boxes as well. A little big but gets the job done.

While I'm on the subject, who is the lowest cost for shipping?

#8 1 year ago

Ive found these guys affordable http://www.boxesetcinc.com/#&panel1-3

Around $10, if yours fits in
    54 x 8 x 28"

Or $7 for this:
    48 x 24 x 12"

Dont know if this helps

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I ship frankenstein boxes with fexex all the time. I've been using them to ship fields for about 12 years now and had every type of box imaginable.

About a two years ago, they started refusing my Frankenstein boxes. Before that, they seemed to have no problem with them.

Everyone once in a while when I notice new staff, I try again to send a frankenstein box with them, and each time they refused to accept it. So then I just say that I would go a block down the street to UPS, and they just shrug.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. This one thing is just annoying.

#10 1 year ago

Guitar boxes work as well for standard playfields. That Kruzeman crate looks like the Bally crates they used to ship complete playfields. I still have one. Mr Dayhuff had one as well IIRC.

#11 1 year ago

shrink wrap play field, frankenstein box, shrinkwrap it all again. if you want to pay for boxes uline has them. bike boxes are good but you will have to trim to fit.

#12 1 year ago

While not a box, I've made these crates several times. They're easy to build, light, and pretty bullet proof. Just a couple 1x2's, 1/2" foam, and 1/8" luan panel.

Congo crate 002 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 003 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 004 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 005 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 006 (resized).JPG
    Congo crate 007 (resized).JPG

#14 1 year ago

We have all the custom packaging to ship playfeilds because we use them to ship glass. The packing consists of a custom sized box, 6 custom molded inserts (4 for the corners and 2 for the sides) and 8 feet of bubble wrap for each flat side of the glass (4 feet per side) the packaging is expensive. Our cost is $18 in bulk. I would have to sell it for at least $25. The most difficult part of the equation is shipping. I honestly have no idea how we would be able to ship this cost effectively.
    Terry.

#15 1 year ago

unless you're constantly shipping playfields around, it's not cost effective to have custom boxes made in small quantities.

Uline would probably make you any size you want and ship it to you, but looks like you need to buy 100. If you're looking for a CPR box, that's called a mailer.
    https://www.uline.com/BL_1301/Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

My suggestion, if you need a small quantity. Go to a local box manufacturing plant in your area. Most have a CAD table to cut samples. Maybe if you ask nice and pay them for their time, they'll cut a few for you.

I can copy the CPR box if people are interested in the drawing to have a local place cut them.

Note: I already have a drawing for a universal backglass box.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

I need to ship a couple Playfields. Regular and wide body. Anyone sell shipping boxes?

Don't be surprised for a very real sticker shock when you go to ship. It's called "billable weight" and it sucks. Last PF I shipped was $74.

https://www.ups.com/cw/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/determine-billable-weight.page

#17 1 year ago

Yup. Dimensional weight is used by small parcel shippers to account for space the box take up in the truck; not necessarily the weight.
    Think how much that sucks for pillow manufacturers.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Don't be surprised for a very real sticker shock when you go to ship. It's called "billable weight" and it sucks. Last PF I shipped was $74.

https://www.ups.com/cw/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/determine-billable-weight.page

If you go to the UPS Store they will "F" you big time. I don't put dimensions unless it's truly oversized. Create a label, package it at home and only drop off at UPS store or call for pickup. They will always add dimensions and it's unnecessary.

#19 1 year ago

Sorry buy you're wrong. Taking it to a UPS "service center" and a UPS store are the same price. I even went online to UPS.com, put in the dimensions and the quote was within a dollar of what the UPS store charged me.

#20 1 year ago

Ups is $75. FedEx is $35. the wooden box is you best bet. I've shipped a lot of playfield and the wooden box is the only one never damaged.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 132.00
    $ 26.50
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 4.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 269.00
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside