(Topic ID: 47350)

Is there a game your spouse just cannot get into?

By TurboBengal

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by smokey_789
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

My lovely bride not only accepts this crazy hobby, but she actually enjoys it as well. She loves games like SM$M, MM, SPP, Tron, No Fear, 8 ball deluxe, Tommy... I know I listed more examples of newer games than the older ones, but she does typically prefer pre-DMD SS games; primarily for the easy to understand right away rule sets.

I recently added Black Hole to my collection. Quite frankly, I think its pretty freaking awesome.
Last night, I had to talk her into playing it with me.. not usually much of a fight, but she played it once or twice before and was like, "its OK I guess, not really my thing." so she played it last night. Got multiball twice (quite a challenge for those who have not played it)one of which was the best mutiball I have ever seen on that game... kept all three alive forever while passing them between playfield levels on numerous occasions.. and she waited for the 3x g-force before she went down to lock the final ball. It was really exciting to watch until I realized she broke my high score with her first ball. (I will say to save my own pride, I;ve only been playing this game for under a week now )

When she was done playing.. especially after watching her multi-level multiball extravaganza, I thought she would be in a new land love for this machine. I was wrong. Her response was "ehhh, its OK I guess, I'll try it a few more times, but not as fun as I was hoping"

I already REALLY like it, but would have loved it even more after that game. Not the case for her I suppose.

Anyone else have a spouse/significant other that enjoys the hobby with you, but perhaps not one of the machines in your collection? If so, which one?

#2 10 years ago

All of them. She really does not like pinball.

#3 10 years ago

hates all of them....

JK she doesn't like, all the ones I like.

#4 10 years ago

Pretty much all the testosterone games or anything thats excessivley hard to learn. She likes stuff like Surfin Safari, Strikes N Spares, etc. Getting a WOF next weekend so well see how she likes that. I'm guessing daddies gonna get momma karma points after bringing that home!!!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

Sadly the same for me.

#7 10 years ago

My wife has pretty much moderately enjoyed all of the titles that went through my collection. There is only one title she absolutely cannot stand and doesn't want me to ever get: AC/DC. The one time she played it was at the 2012 (or was it 2011?) MPE. We had to wait in a 1/2 hour line to play the newly released pin; while waiting in line, the pin was cranking out AC/DC tunes over a loudspeaker. After the whole experience she said to me, "I hope we never get that pin. I felt like I was waiting in line at Cedar Point for some crappy ride".

#8 10 years ago

I'm single. Problem solved.

#9 10 years ago

My wife isn't into pinball but plays occasionally to humor me. I am getting her a Diner as a surprise gift because she once mentioned that she thought it sounded like a fun game. (She worked as a waitress while in college. She looked awfully good doing it, but that's a bit off topic...) It's a noble experiment, but I have serious doubts as to how successful it will be. Fortunately, I am getting the game at a reasonable price, so it isn't a big risk. If you see me posting a Diner for sale in a couple of months, you'll know what happened!

#10 10 years ago

My wife hates Wheel of Fortune-I think she is jealous of Vanna-LOL

#11 10 years ago

My wife likes almost every single pin we have, Monster Bash being her favorite. The one thing she CANNOT stand though, are "heads on a playfield!" For some reason, Road Show and Funhouse creep her out big time. We currently have a Road Show but she won't go near it.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

Sadly the same for me.

Mine showed initial interest in MB and ACDCp, but we are pretty much back to the norm of her not touching them now again.

Gives me an entire floor again that is only for me, so it's not all bad.

#13 10 years ago

My wife has GC scores on all of our pins except IM....so, naturally, she doesn't like IM.

#14 10 years ago

I have had plenty of games my wife and daughters have never played. She says she thinks it's a cool hobby but I would describe her as tolerant or complacent. She usually bases her like or dislike on art alone. Fortunately my 2 year old grandson loves them all.
Alex

#15 10 years ago

She's not a big fan of pinball, but hated No Fear and GNR.

#16 10 years ago

XM and NBAFB are the only ones she never plays.

#17 10 years ago

French Maid.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

BowlingJim said:

Sadly the same for me.

Yep...same here...

#19 10 years ago

My wife has yet to touch a flipper button.

The good news is that leaves the 3 kids and I to play a 4-player game.

#20 10 years ago

She's not wild about Bride of Pinbot...looks too much like a blow-up-doll.

Pretty big pinball fan on the whole, though...so no complaints here.

#21 10 years ago

My wife could care less if all pinball machines fell off the earth tomorrow.
However she does understand that I enjoy them and puts up with a lot.

#22 10 years ago

All of them.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

My wife isn't into pinball but plays occasionally to humor me. I am getting her a Diner as a surprise gift because she once mentioned that she thought it sounded like a fun game. (She worked as a waitress while in college. She looked awfully good doing it, but that's a bit off topic...) It's a noble experiment, but I have serious doubts as to how successful it will be. Fortunately, I am getting the game at a reasonable price, so it isn't a big risk. If you see me posting a Diner for sale in a couple of months, you'll know what happened!

Yes, yes. We've all employed these cheap tactics at some time or another. It looks better on paper than it does in practice. Trust me.

#24 10 years ago

Pinball. Cant say I have seen her play more than one ball in 12 years.

#26 10 years ago

My wife doesn't like pinball at all, however I have hope. I went to my distributor a couple of months ago, and she played a game on WOZ. Then another, and another. I couldn't get her off it. I said would you play pinball if I brought one home, and she said, I'd play this one. I had 9 A titles before, and she wouldn't play before. There is hope now.

#27 10 years ago

Im lucky as my wife will play sometimes but when I had F-14, she just absolutely hated it. In fact, the entire family hated it except me. I wound up selling it because of that but I kind of miss it. She thought Funhouse was creepy but would at least play it but I couldnt get her to play F-14 at all.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Yeah, every flippin' one of them. But really, what else can you expect from a whore?

#29 10 years ago

I'm single but my brother is married and unfortunately while I'm still in search of the right house I keep picking up machines and filling their game room. My brothers wife moderately enjoys pinball hates a few like demolition man. My brother and I collect together so we try to get her onboard since we almost have to get her approval on everything we buy.I'm also pretty sure she'll kill me if I buy anymore to put there which is likely to happen.

#30 10 years ago

I can't get into EMs in general. I always try playing a bunch when we're at PHOF and the Silverball Museum but they just don't do anything for me. My husband can play them all day (of course my husband can play any pin all day).

I like the stuff from the 90's the best: MM, TOTAN, TZ (even thought I still don't always understand what's going on), etc.

#31 10 years ago

my girlfriend says that she likes my pins to other people but she rarely plays them. She played space jam quite a bit when we first got it but barely touched ripley's or whirlwind. The only pins she really dislikes are the playboy ones i've shown her

#32 10 years ago

cybernaut ... when I brought that thing home and she heard it she immediately hated it... I think she played one game...she loves pinball, but that game was like kryptonite to her... when I brought home space invaders I thought for sure I would hear about that one but she loves it... go figure

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Yeah, every flippin' one of them. But really, what else can you expect from a whore?

Okay then.

#34 10 years ago

all of them... she just can't get it... never will probably.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Pete, I thought I heard she wasn't a big fan of STTNG as well... I am fortunate in all the years I have been involved in the hobby and all the machines that have gone through our houses that my wife has enjoyed them as much as I have. WHO dunnit and Baywatch are two of her all-time favorites.

Brad

#37 10 years ago

my wife plays occasionally but hated rudy, so replaced it with a afm she showed interest in. Got to work it to your advantage.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Pinball

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

My wife likes almost every single pin we have, Monster Bash being her favorite. The one thing she CANNOT stand though, are "heads on a playfield!" For some reason, Road Show and Funhouse creep her out big time. We currently have a Road Show but she won't go near it.

I have actually heard this from a couple other people too.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I'm also really curious to how this will turn out. Good luck, but please keep us posted.

#41 10 years ago

ST:TNG (too complex) and Gorgar (too scary). She prefers older pins with
nice artwork and good flow.
Steve

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Good luck, but please keep us posted.

Will do. I know that she will be pleased that I at least tried to accommodate her, but the proof will be in the playing (or lack thereof). Actually, I think my best chance would be with WOZ, but that's a much costlier experiment. On the other hand, it is more likely that we will someday find a WOZ in the wild and so get the chance to play it.

It is perfectly okay with me if this does not work out. Indeed, I don't expect it to. (Which doesn't mean that I wouldn't keep the pin, assuming that others enjoyed it.) We don't have to like the same things. I just want to see if theme is a major factor. Perhaps not. Stay tuned...

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

(said in best Sam Kinison voice)

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Actually, Funhouse creeps me out more than Bride of Pinbot. It would be the first to go.

#45 10 years ago

TSPP, for whatever reason she never liked it (so it got replaced with an ACDC, which she loves )

#46 10 years ago

All of them except for Revenge from Mars.... go figure.

#47 10 years ago

Kiss the rabbit between the ears!

#48 10 years ago

Hit the salami in your rump.

Naw she's down.

#49 10 years ago

Strip poker with the neighbors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-game-your-spouse-just-cannt-get-into and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.