bowling pins (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 6.27.04 AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 6.27.20 AM (resized).png
310491639_487559906602492_3806860588273051893_n (resized).jpg
IMG_4183 (resized).jpg
Photo-4 (resized).png
31-1977-24 (resized).JPG
IMG_4128 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ranhorton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 years ago

Great idea starting this thread.
Got mine last week.
Such a great looking game.
It's in pieces right now as I'm shopping top/bottom.
Gonna make it shine and play like new!

#39 11 years ago

How difficult is it to wire in those spotlights?
I've never messed with mods/wiring in a game before.
Wondering if there is a tutorial out there......

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

It's not very hard I usually pull power from an existing GI lamp socket, you can solder it in or use small insulated alligator clips to make it easily removable if you don't like it.

Nice.
I can totally do that with confidence!

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

unplug the game before you solder anything but easy to do and looks great

Sounds like a plan.
Kicking myself for not ordering a couple spotlights 2 weeks ago when I placed orders with all the different vendors.
Dropping way too much money into this Flintstones and having a blast.

Finishing up rebuilding ALL the mechanics underneath tonight. Only things left are the 4-bank and flippers to rebuild....
Then comes the topside re-assembly.

BTW- had great results putting all the metal guides, the two ramps and all the posts in the dishwasher!
Now I'm thinking about shining up the metal guides a bit.

Can anyone recommend a good buffing attachment to put on my power drill?
Normally I do this stuff by hand but my fingers are killing me.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

My phone is blowing up with texts of delivery pics.

Monday Funday.
Surprisingly, Flintstones felt like it weighed a ton!
Maybe even heavier than my Whirlwind (and that game is pretty darn heavy!).

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Bummer, I'll keep an eye out for one and let you know.
Bob

I'll keep an eye out, too.
Scanning everywhere on the web for the purple plastic to the right of the pop bumpers – so if i spot a Flintstones speaker panel I'll PM you immediately.

#71 11 years ago

I'm still shopping mine and trying to be patient.
Whenever I get a new game I play it a couple times to make sure everything is functioning then I shut it all down and give it the full treatment. Mostly so I can get to know the machine inside and out...and because afterwards I appreciate the game even more.

I'm finally done disassembling/cleaning/re-sleeving all the underside mechs. They were filthy and the sleeves were very worn but now everything looks/moves like new. Still need to rebuild all the flippers and replace a few switches that feel temperamental.

-Cleaned all the inserts/boards/optos and changed all the bulbs to LEDs (except the backbox for now).

-Completely stripped/cleaned/polished the playfield. Still need to sand down the shooter lane and clearcoat it with varithane. Still need to carnuba wax the field. Still need to buff all the metal.

The rest of the playfield parts/plastics/ramps/toys are cleaned and polished and ready to go.

Hope to be done in the next week or so.
If any new Flinstones owners have any questions about anything on top or underneath this game feel free to gimme a shout

#88 11 years ago

It's done!
After approximately 50 hours of hardcore shopping (top and bottom) my Flintstones is ready to roll!
Didn't finish until a little after midnight last night so tonight will be the inaugural ball.
Will post pics soon.
Hope everyone had a fun weekend.

#95 11 years ago

When someone has a minute, can you check your Flintstones and tell me where the underside apron lights are mounted. Are they both right next to each other directly under the Flintstones logo?

And are they both 906 flashers?

Thanks all!

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

One flasher and one GI I have a 3 in 1 LED in the GI and both are together under the logo, I'm thinking of adding more lights under there

Thank you!
So do you think it's ok to put two 906 LED's in there?

One in the GI and the other in the flasher?

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I honestly don't know, but I've never heard of using a 906 for GI.

when i was shopping the game it had a 555 and 906 in the two sockets.
I threw in two 906's last night but didn't test them yet.
On the solenoid/flasher page of the manual it says that section has:

Flintstones Fls. #906
Insert Flasher #906

So maybe they are both supposed to be 906....unless i'm reading the manual wrong....

Pinsider "Whysnow" is coming over tonight to test-run the game with me so i'll see what he thinks.

#105 11 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

906 bulbs are 12 volt, so no you don't want them in GI, as it runs at 6.5 volt

Gotcha.
Thanks so much for the insight.
Gonna swap out the 906 I put in that GI for a 555.

#106 11 years ago

Hi all.
So a few questions.
Got my flintstones fully shopped and running but need some clarification on a few things.

-Are there attract sounds or music?

-No matter how good my score is I still haven't gotten the opportunity to put my initials in the game (and I reset the game to factory prior to playing). Last game I played I was in the 700 million range. Could I have an issue with the settings or boards/roms?

Otherwise, it's a great game! Just need to tweak some bulb colors and wire in some spotlights.

#107 11 years ago

Also, when does the game sing the theme song with the lyrics scrolling across the DMD?
Mine doesn't seem to do it at all.

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

It does that when have achieved one of the top scores.

Thank you! Now I just need to stop tweaking/tuning the game and start playing!

1 week later
#131 10 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

the dino mod from ebay if you order one from him get him to make the small strip for the dark left corner its a nice mod very easy to add on

I ordered the mod and unfortunately it had a couple issues (probably due to being manhandled by the postal service) so I contacted the seller and he is a total stand-up guy!
He is sending me a new strip today. Great guy. Great customer service. If you don't have the Dinosaur mod go but it from him ASAP!

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I haven't done the Dino mod or the rockcrusher I have been adding spot lights. five so far.

Any chance you can show/tell us how and where you are connecting the spotlights underneath?
I'm about to order some spotlights/alligator clips from PL and would love to hear/see what worked best for you.

#137 10 years ago

those 3-in-1's do a nice job illuminating the entire upper right playfield!

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! I am going to show off my " Rock Donalds " mod building soon. Almost got all the " bedrock bugs" worked out of it as well as my Stern like searchlights in a twist. Dino says " Hello" as well shortly. Have fun!~ Spooky

I can't wait to see RockDonalds!

My new replacement dino mod should be on route. Hopefully this one doesn't have gremlins like the first one did.
The seller mentioned to me that it's a new LED strip that he's using and it's brighter than the original.
He's probably still working out the construction kinks.

The only other thing i noticed when i first installed the LED strip in the dino wireframe is the top of the ball sometimes got stuck against the strip right near the dino mouth.
I was able to remedy that by getting some vice grips and VERY gently squeezing the circular section of the lower wireframe so that it pinched in just enough for the ball to smoothly roll down the habitrail track and clear the top.
The ball now has about 1.5mm worth of overhead LED strip clearance when passing through the last circular section of the wireframe.

#144 10 years ago

By the way, I finally hit 10,000 karma points on this post ^^^^

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Congrats on the karma!

Thanks!
Took me 2 years.
I guess I'm not as chatty as my wife says I am

#150 10 years ago

I'm also running LX5 and the knocker fires in the T.4 Solenoid Test mode.
There doesn't seem to be a number attached to it but its a part of the sequence when you run it.

#151 10 years ago

Now for my own problem.
I loaded up a 4 player game and on ball 2 in the middle of the 3rd player game the machine started bugging out.
Flippers locked upwards, balls started popping out of the trough, then flippers died, balls finally shot out (like ball search was looking for them), they all drained because the flippers were still dead, it went through the bonus point routine and then the game moved on to player 4 and everything was fine.
So weird.
Any thoughts?

Gonna post this situation to the main forum as well to see if anyone knows what this could be.

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Ok I found the problem, it was so simple I feel really dumb. It was turned off with dip switch settings

So glad you figured it out and that it was simple.

#157 10 years ago

By the way, I received the new LED strip for the Dino mod.
It's awesome!
Super bright and now the top right of the playfield is a lot less dark.
Will be posting pics soon...once I fix a few more bugs.

Current bug- phantom switch firing every time I hit the right flipper.
Need to check all the switches to see if some are too close together.
I think i have stomped out the other electrical bugs in the system but we'll see.
Haven't had any flipper locks for the past couple games or those random trough ball ejects that wouldn't stop...

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Current bug- phantom switch firing every time I hit the right flipper.
Need to check all the switches to see if some are too close together.
I think i have stomped out the other electrical bugs in the system but we'll see.
Haven't had any flipper locks for the past couple games or those random trough ball ejects that wouldn't stop...

It's fixed!!!!
Turns out it was the 3-bank drop target optos. There were cracks developing in the solder traces and opto switches from years of play.

I ordered a new one from Tony at Great Lakes and installed it last night.
No more phantom switch firings!
And i was VERY surprised at the quality of the new opto board.
It's 100% stronger/more efficient than the original.

Now that the game is playing perfectly and I've added LEDs and mods where i wanted I will add some shopping/restoration photos to this post along with a list of all the new things I added/replaced.
Only things I haven't added just yet are the spotlights. I have them but still pondering if/where I should put them.

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

So, Sunday was too busy with my sister/baby niece/grandmother running around to do pinball mods, so we're doing them this weekend instead. And ideas on how to keep the targets up so that I can put the new decals on them? And I looked at the bowling pins (hers spin and only have decals on one side, so we're putting them on both) and it looks like a pain to get to that spot. I figure we'll end up tearing it down somewhat for cleaning and decal adding, then will hopefully get the dino/backboard lights added in correctly.

I actually removed the drop down targets from the game to change my flintstones decals.

Unplugged the connector.
Unscrewed the coil from the bracket and left it hanging.
Unscrewed the bracket from the game.
Carefully removed the PCB board (just gently pull the e-clips and washers off)
Then removed each target by taking off the spring and removing the e-clips/washers holding them on the bracket.

By removing each set of targets i was able to clean everything.
And by removing the actual targets I could polish/clean the plastic, remove the old decal, remove the old adhesive and apply the new decal so it all looks brand new.

It took some time, but in the end it looks very nice and plays super smooth.
Then

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I have a problem with my right flipper sticking on mine, haven't figured it out yet, I've changed the plunger and link, coil sleeve, coil stop, that usually corrects this. Any ideas?

your flipper brushing may be gummed up.
when i rebuild a flipper i always change these.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=270

1 week later
#209 10 years ago

I'm 99% done with my flintstones.
All i have left to do is put the new decal of the cartoon flinstones on the playfield.
The game plays like a champ and is tons of fun.
Did the full topside teardown/clean/wax and replaced the fred's choice plastics as well as a few other things.
Underneath i re-sleeved all the coils, rebuilt all the flippers, and replaced a couple of rollover switches.
Put LEDs in about 85% of the game to really pop the colors.
Added 3 spotlights on the playfield to brighten it up.
Added the LED strip mod in the dino head.
It's been a labor of love and I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

#210 10 years ago

I'm 99% done with my flintstones.
All i have left to do is put the new decal of the cartoon flinstones on the playfield.
The game plays like a champ and is tons of fun.
Did the full topside teardown/clean/wax and replaced the fred's choice plastics as well as a few other things.
Underneath i re-sleeved all the coils, rebuilt all the flippers, and replaced a couple of rollover switches.
Put LEDs in about 85% of the game to really pop the colors.
Added 3 spotlights on the playfield to brighten it up.
Added the LED strip mod in the dino head.
It's been a labor of love and I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

IMG_2082.jpgIMG_2082.jpg

#211 10 years ago

The three spotlights.
1 pointing at joes diner.
1 under joes pointing at bowling.
1 under dino pointing at the back plastic.

IMG_2081.JPGIMG_2081.JPG

#212 10 years ago

New translite. Sorry about the reflections on all of them.
Still need to apply the playfield decal.

IMG_2083.JPGIMG_2083.JPG

#213 10 years ago

My progressive line up.
System 9 Sorcerer.
System 11 Whirlwind.
WPC Flintstones.

IMG_2089.JPGIMG_2089.JPG

4 months later
#315 10 years ago

Courtesy of John Trudeau and Kevin O'Connor.
Met them at the expo in Chicago today.
Great guys.
John also told me about an Easter egg he hid in Flintstones.
It's his voice telling his wife "love you dear" or something along those lines.
However, he couldn't remember exactly how you make it happen but it involves hitting the start button and the left and right flippers in a particular sequence.
Anyway, awesome guy and a loving husband to boot.
image.jpgimage.jpg

2 months later
#345 10 years ago

So my flintstones doesn't play the theme song during attract mode. And yes, I have attract mode turned on in the settings.
But it will play the theme song if I get a high score.
Do I have an issue or is this normal.
The only sound it sometimes makes during attract mode is Fred banging on the door and the cat meowing as it gets thrown outside.
Also, my flipper buttons don't make any sounds in attract mode if I push them.
Does anyone else's?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Luckily the game plays 100%.

#347 10 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I'm thinking of replacing a couple of our left side drop targets this weekend. One is chipped the other is cracked. I've done this before on a Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man and it wasn't so bad. Anything I should know ahead of time?

I find it best to remove the whole drop target assembly. That way I can work on it in my workroom. Plus clean everything, change the springs, and inspect the opto board for and loose LED sensors the may need to be resoldered. Oh, take lots of pictures as you go!

2 weeks later
#355 10 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

does any ones Flintstones machine have switch covers over the 5 switches located on the play field? I was thinking about the orange ones that marcos sells

i added some standard black switch covers to a few of the switches on the ramps (had to cut them a bit to fit appropriately).
they're nice, but not necessary.

#361 10 years ago

The switch covers work nicely on the ramps.
I didn't out any on the rock slicer switches. Too awkward.
Here's the only pic I could find on my phone to post.
image-83.jpgimage-83.jpg

#371 10 years ago
Quoted from scottnds:

Hi.I have a problem with the 4 bank drop targets.The bottom target keeps slipping over the reset bar and staying down.
Has anyone had this problem? If so any fixes.
The reset bar has a lot of play in it so I will replace the sleeve.
Cheers Scott. Yabba dabba doo.

I haven't had that problem but if you remove the 4-bank, disassemble it and clean it you may discover what's wrong.
Could be the spring behind the target has lost its sprung.
Take lots of pics if you do disassemble the unit.

1 week later
#375 10 years ago

You're missing the opportunity to stack multiball on top of Dino multiball.
4 balls all at once.
Big points.

1 week later
#390 10 years ago

Steve-
The first strip Judge Dread sent me was a bit faulty. It had an issue where the wires are soldered to the led strip.
Try plugging your strip in without putting it in the Dino and bend it at the solder connection a little bit and see if it lights up.
I noticed on mine that I had to bend it at a 90degree angle to get the solder connection to make contact. I told judge dread about it and he immediately sent me a new strip and connector that worked perfectly.

As for attaching it inside the Dino, I have the LEDs mounted inside the Dino frame, along the spine pointing down. Before re-installing the Dino with the LEDs zip tied on, run a ball through it and make sure it doesn't get wedged. Mine wedged a bit so I gently used pliers and squeezed the Dino ribs in ever so slightly to open up the Dino enough for the ball to roll through smoothly without getting wedged against the LED strip.
Hasn't given me any trouble since and the LEDs add a ton of well needed light in the upper playfield area.

#394 10 years ago

Judge dread is a cool guy to deal with. Glad he's hooking you up with a replacement.

#400 10 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Would anyone know where I could get the left diverter blade that sits above the left slingshot? The manual shows the coil assembly and basically everything except the blade that sits atop the assembly - so I'm having trouble even coming up with a part number.
TY

Rush
I responded to your original post.
This is the only one I could find.
See your original post.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-flintstones-left-diverter-bladerod-or-complete

3 weeks later
#445 10 years ago

Quick question.
How do all your flintstones act during attract mode?
Any sounds?
Any songs?
And sounds when you push the flipper buttons or start/rock me buttons?

Mine just seems to do light show stuff and I have attract mode turned "on" in the settings.

#447 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You get the cat throwing Fred out of the house and the song...at least you should.

Gotcha.
I've gotten that before but only after the game has been in attract mode for a long time.
So it sounds like my attract mode is functioning fine.
Thanks for the info Pimp!

2 months later
#462 9 years ago

That gap between the flipper and guide is usually an easy fix.
Pull the apron off (a few screws underneath, up top, and the e-clips/diverters) and see if you can move/adjust the guides down a bit then screw them back in. You can also try adjusting the flipper mech underneath to move the flipper up. Again just unscrewing the flipper mounting plates and adjusting them up a millimeter or 2.

#467 9 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Ranhorton I have looked at my pin and failed to see how your suggested adjustments are possible?
The guide is screwed to the playfield without a sliding adjustment at all, can't even move if forced. The flippers come through a fairly tight hole and could not be adjusted much.
I hope you can prove me wrong with pics and explanation? as I can't see what you have suggested?

So what I've found is that sometimes by halfway unscrewing the guides so they're loose you can cup them in your hand and gently push them "up the playfield" as you screw them back in. This buys you about a millimeter or less.
Then go under the playfield and halfway unscrew the 8 screws holding the flipper mech you can also cup that, push it forward and screw it back in. That may by you another millimeter.
Combined that's usually enough to get close the "bump" between the guide and flipper.

#468 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Rat: If you're trying to adjust that flipper up a bit, so that the ball has a smooth run down the inlane onto the flipper, someone suggested loosening up the flipper assembly bracket under the playfield (like 8 hex screws) and shifting the whole mech up a bit, then retightening.

Bingo.

3 months later
#517 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I see I'm running rev 3. Any real reason to spend the loot for 5? Doesn't seem like any real difference between the two.

I recommend getting someone to burn you and updated ROM with the ghosting patch.
Great update.
And I really like that version 5 puts a max on the jackpot so you don't get ridiculously high jackpot scores in multiball.
But that just me.

#519 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Ran: I do see some led issues like ghosting going on. Where would I get the no ghosting led?

I had a local up here with a rom burner do it for me. Gave him my old rom and he wiped it and loaded the non-ghosting version 5 into it.
I'd search the forum for ROM burning. Chances are there's someone near you who could do it for a 6-pack of beer.

3 months later
#547 9 years ago

For those of you having problems with the pin retainer, I found that if you don't want to replace the entire retainer you can actually use a really thin metal washer to keep the pin from dropping.

Cut the washer and slide it onto the pin shaft. Pinch the washer closed. Problem solved (at least it solved it for me).
You may need to experiment with a few washers to get the right thickness for you pins.
Thankfully they're only a few cents at Ace Hardware.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.95
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ranhorton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-flintstones-owners-club-if-not-lets-start-it-here?tu=ranhorton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.