3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by ralphcousman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have a friend in BC that makes reproduction arcade game harnesses. Ken's quality is top notch and he can pretty much crank out whatever you need. Yesterday I picked up another System 11 with toasted GI connectors and it got me to wondering if there is a need/demand for repro pin harnesses. Is there someone here who does them?

For me I would much rather drop $25 on a new GI harness than sending my stuff of to be repaired. I know that not everyone feels the same. Just curious what folks thoughts are.

#2 3 years ago

replacing an entire harness seems like excessive work - throwing the baby out with the bathwater

#3 3 years ago

The GI wiring is almost always bundled in with the main PF harness. I'm not sure how would you replace just the GI wires nor why would you opt to do this over rebuilding the connectors.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

replacing an entire harness seems like excessive work - throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Agreed. Replacing a connector is easy and much less money than replacing an entire harness.

#5 3 years ago

I would buy them for my wpc games, if they are not already available. I do not know.

#6 3 years ago

The problem is that it's not just a generic harness like JAMMA. The stupid things are routed all crazy and tied together with zipties, and mounted in different locations, and have different numbers of connections and loopbacks depending on the game.. it's not a "One harness fits all" deal...extremely labor intensive even if someone wants to do it.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said I am just curious. The System 11 GI power harness is almost aways toasty. It's an easy to separate harness as I have had to send mine off for repining/new connector so it just got me wondering if it or something similar could be made/if there was demand

#8 3 years ago

What really might be helpful is a large selection of striped wiring. I always have trouble finding wire with the color stripes I need. Most places need a minimum 1000ft order, which is excessive if I only need 10-20ft.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The problem is that it's not just a generic harness like JAMMA. The stupid things are routed all crazy and tied together with zipties, and mounted in different locations, and have different numbers of connections and loopbacks depending on the game.. it's not a "One harness fits all" deal...extremely labor intensive even if someone wants to do it.

Correct, each harness is tailored for the specific game and playfield. Take make these in bulk, it would require a template made for each game... even after the run and lengths are configured the customer would still need to solder light and switches.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

What really might be helpful is a large selection of striped wiring. I always have trouble finding wire with the color stripes I need. Most places need a minimum 1000ft order, which is excessive if I only need 10-20ft.

I can see what he has available. I know he mentioned having to buy stuff in large quantities for the work he is doing now

Quoted from PaulyB18:

Correct, each harness is tailored for the specific game and playfield. Take make these in bulk, it would require a template made for each game... even after the run and lengths are configured the customer would still need to solder light and switches.

Totally. I was thinking very small picture. I didn't even think of the underside of the PF nightmare.

#11 3 years ago

Learning how to rebuild connectors is one of the most useful skills to have in pinball ownership. I highly recommend buying some good quality crimpers, crimping supplies, and teaching yourself how to crimp using scrap wire. There are some great guides online and you'll get a feel for it in no time.

Also worth mentioning - in the case of burnt GI connectors (or any other connector that's been damaged by heat), BOTH sides of the connector need to be replaced: the female housing and the male header pins on the board.

#12 3 years ago

Lol... I did two playfield swaps in two weeks right before TPF, so I'm still having nightmares.. ;P

#13 3 years ago

Toasty harnessess also generally mean toasty header pins. Replace both (armed with the proper knowledge and the proper tools) and you will be fine. Once you have this perspective repro harnessess sounds like an excessive idea.

It would be similar to replacing your entir car door if your window up/down was flaky. Yeah, you could do it this way, but why?

Only demand for repro harnesses would be for people building games from scratch. There might be a market for that, but you also need to be building cabs, game specific parts etc...

#14 3 years ago

Thanks for all of the perspective guys.

#15 3 years ago

Will all the guys building Star Gazers from scratch, that would be a harness that a bunch of people would buy.

Or if a bunch of people build a Predator, that would be another harness that would sell.

#16 3 years ago

Short easy to replace harnesses... I'd buy for new restores... but for the PF to backbox... not a chance in hell. Easier to cut and re-crimp existing harness.

#17 3 years ago

Jim Shird has all the templates to make original equivalent WMS harnesses as far as I know.

BAA should have all the right color/stripe combination for Bally/WMS pins, in 10 foot lengths.

#18 3 years ago

Hey John, can you drop a hint to Jim that it would be a GREAT idea for him to sell a back box logic power harness that included the standard harness PLUS the additional "extender" that powers the 8-driver board in games that use it (TZ, IJ, ST:TNG, etc.); that would eliminate potential issues with the inline splice (aka "z" connector) that joins the two logic power harnesses together. It would be a tough one to reproduce without IDT-style connectors, though, given the looping of conductors through the connectors...

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe a bulk buy of b/w general striped wire colors? I'd be in.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Maybe a bulk buy of b/w general striped wire colors? I'd be in.

I'm mainly working with Gottlieb pins at the moment. They use a different set of styles/colors.

In fact, pretty much each manufacturer and each generation of machine uses a slightly different set of colors/styles. That's what makes it hard to actually stock anything--between the colors of the wire, the colors of the striping, the number of stripes, and the style of stripes (either bands or stripes down the length of the wire), there are thousands of variations.

3 years later
    #21 8 days ago

I’m looking to have someone build an Indiana Jones harness for me as I don’t have one to even repair. I have been looking but no luck. I’d like to know how to contact this Jim Shird. The guy I’m dealing with repops all kinds of arcade games already and says he can copy an original or work from plans.

#22 8 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Bay Area Amusements sells wire in 10 foot increments.

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=WIR

#23 8 days ago

They didn't have the colors I was looking for, last time I checked.

#24 8 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

They didn't have the colors I was looking for, last time I checked.

probably not what your looking for but.
    from all the different sources I've gone to this is by far the best stuff. The strip doesn't wipe off like others and the jacket is the same thickness like stock wire for the same gauge.
    https://www.asapwire.com

40 bucks is a lot for a 250" roll... it does suck that you can't buy it in 100 ft. rolls.

alphawire on digikey-mouser is pretty good as well, but they only have white-stripped (color).
    At least it's in 100 ft. rolls. still expensive though.

#25 8 days ago

I would love an all new harness for Johnny mnemonic pm me !!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 19.99
    $ 189.99
    $ 11.99
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 15.00
    Boards
    FLIPPROJETS
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 149.00
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 59.00
    $ 248.00
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside