(Topic ID: 277158)

Is there a decoder ring to make sense of PBRs website?

By d0n

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF743C27-22E5-46F9-9BF5-212F820432A9 (resized).jpeg
    24194563-822F-4EAF-B9B0-3AA15FFB76BF.gif
    14nw2f.jpg
    ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmC+C (resized).jpg
    bcace875afc9485d74face2501417b06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200916_150344 (resized).jpg
    84BF5126-1E3C-46E9-B0FF-8AD8A1EE8E1E.gif
    4A646F0E-ACA7-4F5E-98F9-767E1D992884.gif
    337C7225-3AF5-43BC-8CD2-EFA29CB7B8A5.gif
    756AA467-2067-4EC8-B153-3C1D30934D0E (resized).jpeg
    5FB23A6A-85DD-4D19-AA50-03B918249BCC (resized).jpeg
    dial (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 3 years ago

I first became knowledgeable about PBR when I was building my visual pinball machine in 2012. I stumbled onto PBR with a google search. My order person was a woman. She advised me about establishing credit by making small purchase. I told her I was surprised they had so many parts available. She replied, " He has 30,000 customers from around the world."

When I brought my 1st pin home, a Stern Big Game, I needed parts and called. Steve answered the phone. I told him what I had and he said he did not supply for Sterns. I said, "well, would you be interested in trying?" I had already had established credit with my first buy in 2012.

My first order for my Stern pin, along with some tools tallied up to $150.00. The order was here in 2 days. I checked for proper inventory and sent the check. But while I was on the phone making the order, I ordered some of those switch point files. Steve proceeded to jerk me through the phone line and said (actually yelled), "You don't want those for your pin. You don't use these files on gold plated switch contacts ! " His point was made and I never forgot.

Steve is old school. He was an operator and knows the pain that comes when an earning machine is out of service. He ships fast. All of my orders are here in two days. Always. He ships fast, he expects fast payment. I don't have a problem with that.

I like the telephone way of ordering. My cousin uses email. When I call and Steve answers, I give my name and my assigned PBR customer number. and tell him I am making an order and that I have some of the part numbers but not all of them. We get to work with the part numbers I do have, and then I tell him what I need but don't have the part numbers for. And he has always seemed to know what I need; You have to figure that all of parts are not in his catalog.

With those parameters, he knows you have expended some effort to look up your part numbers and he is cool with the no-number stuff.

I have asked him a couple of questions about some parts ( classic Stern flipper parts ) and he gets a little elevated. I think he does not like to say "no" but he has no choice.

You all like his cheap price for parts. But surely you would not expect to get those same cheap prices if he was taking credit cards. Cards will bite a retailer with a 5% service charge. Would you be ready to pay 5% extra just so you can use your card? No, you would probably whine about that, too.

Plus with credit cards, at the end of the month he has to tally the credit charge up and go to the trouble of making a payment to the credit card company. If he took Visa and not MasterCard, some of you would whine about him not taking MC. And then their is Discover. And American Express. He would have to hire some else just to handle the paper work.

With 30K customers around the world I doubt he is losing any sleep if you decide you do not want to do business with him.

During my last order, I asked if he preferred my to order via email or continue with the phone. He has no preference and said he learns things all of the time on the phone calls. With that, I will probably continue to order via the telephone.

He has been around awhile and does not have to put up with any bullshit. And he doesn't. If you are in a business that allows you to do that then you are golden. You say that is bad business. Perhaps.

When I was a professional buyer, it was common for buyers to get nasty with suppliers all of the time and most of the time there was no need to get nasty. But there was one supplier down in Ft. Worth that had a lock on its market. It had no competition. I had a couple of buyer friends get nasty on the phone with the order taker ( Her name was Mary Brown). The next thing these buyers learned was that Mary, and her boss, would no longer mess with them. So another buyer had to step in to get the order made. The message: Straighten up and fly right and be professional if you want to do business with us.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Oh no! Steve is gonna label you as a "SLOW PAYER" and then you have to call him and beg him for your parts. LOL!

Oh, this is what it is. You yourself did the "slow pay" and got your hands slapped And now you cry the blues.

Did he make YOU beg for your parts? You seem to know all about it

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

There are plenty of people who are stuck in their ways. He is stuck doing business in the 70s. He refused to change and at this point is close to retirement so no sense in doing so now. Its not something to garner respect. Just another old timer thinking that change is scary.

Some of you will not recognize this song: American Pie by Don Mclean. In the early 70s. For years people wasted their time trying to figure out what the song was all about.

Someone finally asked Don Mclean what the song "American Pie" meant. He said, " It means I never have to work again if I don't want to".

Steve has his business. It is working for him and he does not have to do anything if he does not want to.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

He did make me beg for parts and did label me as a "slow payer" back when I first ordered in 1991 or so. It's a freaking check in the mail. How fast do you think it's gonna get there? Did I send it? YES. Did you get paid? Yes. Then what's the problem? Well, I have it written here in my rolodex that you're a "slow payer" so grovel to me and tell me why I should send you my parts.

You said it all right here. You slow-paid. Got your hands slapped and had to beg and grovel. And you are still butt-hurt 20 years later. Does he still have you on his shit list today?

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly. Steve uses his filter so he knows who to deal with or not. Many documented cases.
    Remember when he told gameseum Steve to take a hike after he changed his order address 4 times?
    He was way ahead of the curve there!

Remember Okatu?

#164 3 years ago

When you do business with Steve you know someone will answer the phone.

Something a lot of these new internet businesses do not seem to be able to do is answer the phone. All they want to do is set up a website and have you clicking like a lab rat making your purchases. And if you run into a problem? Get ready for the virtual assistant with its canned answers. And no phone number to be found.

Right now I am stuck in virtual assistant purgatory with PayPal. PayPal used to have a phone number posted but I can no longer find it.

I'll also give kudos to Marco and Pinball Life. Those guys will answer the phone.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

This post was moderated 5 minutes ago: Broken record
    thank god being moderated means pretty much absolutely nothing on pinside. Do I need to donate again? It has been almost a year since my last penance.
    penance (as in compensating for an offense)

I don't see you as a broken record as much as I see you as a fool.

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m with the op. I don’t think someone should be commended for refusing to improve. That’s not a good quality to have.
    But I also know that we’re in the very small minority, for some reason people think that if PBR stays exactly the same that they will last forever.
    Time is an equal opportunity asset. I try to spend my time working for a better future. But hey, some people think this is the best that will ever be and they don’t need to improve or put in more effort.

Real quick now:

1) I send you something and you send me a check. I add the check to me daily deposits. Done deal.

2) I send you something and you give me a your credit card number. I have 16 digits to write down and then verify with you that they are the correct 16 digits. But for that to happen, I have to spend a bunch of money with the credit companies to buy the machines to read the cards. I have to pay someone to come out and install the credit card readers. And then at the end of the month I have to send the transactions off to the credit card company to get my money because you actually sent your money to the CC company and not to me.

Oh, and I will have to raise my prices to cover for the 5% the credit card companies charge for using their convenience cards.

If you paid me at the first of the billing cycle I will have to wait 30 days for the CC company to send me my money. And then you could tell your CC company that I stiffed you and the CC company will claw the money back and I will be out my parts and money while you are sitting fat with my parts on your machine.

Its my business. I'll run it into the ground if I want.

I have been here selling pin parts for 50 years. I know pinball machines and have operated arcades.

50 years in and sales are as strong as they have ever been. I must be doing something right.

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

You realize that cottonm4 isn’t Steve and has nothing to do with PBR, right?

I guess I should have added a disclaimer to save confusion.

#209 3 years ago

What good is he if all of his information is lost with him? The key is to pass it on and preserve it for the future.

That is a complete different argument. Completely different than the talk about the use of credit cards etc.

#213 3 years ago

My argument is the preservation of PBR for another 50 years. To do that, someone will have to adapt their system.

This is your new other argument. You were digging in on PBR not using credit cards. You only just now brought in Steve's end of life scenario.

Steve restocking at PBR[quoted image]

When I order parts, via the phone--by choice, I always have my order in my hands in 2 or 3 days. I have made several orders since I have been in this hobby. Only once was something, some small picayune part missing. That suggest to me the warehouse is doing a pretty good job.

You resorted to a movie scene to try and make a point. Indiana Jones is fiction. You should try to find another example that is a little more real world.

#218 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Edit- I should say I'm not just picking on PBR. Theres a lot of websites that are just horrific but sell good parts. Big Daddy's is one that comes to mind for me. At least big daddy's takes online payments though!

Have you ever wanted to talk to Todd on the phone? Not an easy proposition.

#219 3 years ago

No, Ive been suggesting for years that PBR create a useful website, indexing their products in a searchable way, and that it is a self serve automated storefront. Credit Card payments are just a supporting argument to the refusal of modernization. Steve is a one in a million person that should in my opinion get a team of younger people in place, so that he doesn’t need to micromanage every transaction and answer the phone through his retirement.
    I’ve stood by my opinion for years and been down voted along the way. But for any good company to become great the owner needs to get help to grow and reach that next step. If not it will all eventually fizzle out.

10 000 000 parts. “Impossible dream” that this stock will be ever printed......
    That’s straight from there website. I wonder how many people can find stock in this undocumented dream? Less then a 5?
    [quoted image]
    And if doubling staff is all that it would take to make to a reality, how impossible is it?

It sounds like you should make Stave an offer and buy him out. And then update the company.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-decoder-ring-to-make-sense-of-pbrs-website?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.