(Topic ID: 277158)

Is there a decoder ring to make sense of PBRs website?

By d0n

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF743C27-22E5-46F9-9BF5-212F820432A9 (resized).jpeg
    24194563-822F-4EAF-B9B0-3AA15FFB76BF.gif
    14nw2f.jpg
    ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmC+C (resized).jpg
    bcace875afc9485d74face2501417b06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200916_150344 (resized).jpg
    84BF5126-1E3C-46E9-B0FF-8AD8A1EE8E1E.gif
    4A646F0E-ACA7-4F5E-98F9-767E1D992884.gif
    337C7225-3AF5-43BC-8CD2-EFA29CB7B8A5.gif
    756AA467-2067-4EC8-B153-3C1D30934D0E (resized).jpeg
    5FB23A6A-85DD-4D19-AA50-03B918249BCC (resized).jpeg
    dial (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor.gif

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

How do you find anything on that crazy site? "Game specific parts" link shows maybe 10 older games? You can't order or buy anything on the site and you can't easily find anything. What's the site for?

It's 2020. We're moving towards a cashless, online buying experience yet they still want customers to send a check or pay COD? Does the post office even do COD anymore? COD?! Has any online business even offered COD in the last 20 years?

I want to buy parts but damn, that's a lot of hoops to jump through.

#2 3 years ago

I gave up on it years ago. It's so damn difficult to order parts that I just call friends who already have an account and ask them to order stuff. Literally the last place I look for anything.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

How do you find anything on that crazy site? "Game specific parts" link shows maybe 10 older games? You can't order or buy anything on the site and you can't easily find anything. What's the site for?
    It's 2020. We're moving towards a cashless, online buying experience yet they still want customers to send a check or pay COD? Does the post office even do COD anymore? COD?! Has any online business even offered COD in the last 20 years?

Be happy they take email orders now!

They do have stuff no one else does, or the other people buy it from them. They millions of parts, and the website is essentially a web scan of the flyer they used to send out. Steve's gruff and way old school, and it's just the way he wants to do it. One time he yelled at me because I ordered "too much stuff" at once (it was >$500 only because I had to order 2x16 AN displays.... that was like $250 right there....)

That said, lately my go to has been marco, just because of the quick and cheap shipping. Used to use PBL for a lot of stuff but the shipping cost spiked from them so not as often.

#4 3 years ago

Recently returned to the hobby and feel the same way - several other sites are much easier to use than PBR.

#5 3 years ago

Ordering from PBR is a rite of passage in the pinball hobby. It requires you to do research for exactly what you need. It requires you to be able to write an email with a list of part numbers and QTY. Is it as easy as some sites? No. But I believe this is done on purpose because it does in most cases eliminate the ordering of incorrect parts for your game. If you list the game you are buying parts for, the email is reviewed and in many times suggestions offered on correct parts (if you made a mistake) or alternative better parts if available. EM guys/gals love PBR, its the only place to get many key parts.

PBR has a TON of parts not listed on the site, so for the hard to find/rare parts Steve is your man. Much better quality when you need correct pop caps, drop targets, etc as well.

It's old school, but it also has its charm in a world where you don't receive much in the way of personal customer service any more until there is an issue.

It's definitely not for some people, and that is ok!

#6 3 years ago

There's no doubt that Marco has the best site, but you also pay a premium for that luxury. PinballLife strikes a good balance, but I find they often are missing just one or 2 parts I need for my order.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Ordering from PBR is a rite of passage in the pinball hobby. It requires you to do research for exactly what you need.

I love getting all the part numbers, firing them off at Jimmy at 4AM with a question or two sometimes, he will answer and order is in.

Done, easy as pie and it will be on my door 48 hours later.

#8 3 years ago

I love PBR! Their prices and quality can't be beat and Steve and Jimmy are two of the most knowledgable guys in the business. Once you get familiar with the site it's really not that hard to find what you're looking for. And if you don't find something you can send an email and ask. -I find that easier than calling.

#9 3 years ago

I occasionally order from Pinball Life and am often tempted by Marco with their slick site but PBR is my go to. They really know their EMs, prices are very competitive and have great customer service. My only gripe is it almost always takes a full week to get my order. Wisconsin must be in a weird spot for shipping from NY?

#10 3 years ago

They have nobody else has. I can order on Tuesday and the order will be at my house on Thursday. I also like their prices.

#11 3 years ago

Yes,the post office still do COD's

#12 3 years ago

After your first prepaid order, Steve grants you a credit line and you don't have to mess with COD. Worst-case, you prepay by check for a big order if you don't have much history. Use your bank's online payment service, and you don't have to mail anything. My bank will send a check anywhere in the US for free.

True that PBR is an analog business in a digital world, but so is pinball.

#13 3 years ago

There actually is one, but unfortunately the message is "BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE".

tenor.giftenor.gif

#14 3 years ago

Steve has fantastic prices and is a great guy. I choose for strictly convenience purposes to use Marco and PBL.

#15 3 years ago

Love pbr!! Great question response and delivery time.

#16 3 years ago

PBR has stuff that the other guys just don't have. I've had good lucky emailing my orders. I did call just once for kicks. I was not disappointed. I do use Marco a lot but that's because I live 20 mins away from them and can pick up my orders

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Quoted from Pahuffman:

I gave up on it years ago. It's so damn difficult to order parts that I just call friends who already have an account and ask them to order stuff. Literally the last place I look for anything.

Hope you enjoy that huge Marco Markup for all the stuff he buys from PBR and just resells for newbs who are too lazy or timid to call or send an email.

You absolutely pay through the nose for that slick website and easy to navigate UI.

Steve is the man and you get so much shit for CHEAP. The prices are insanely low. I can’t imagine how he does it.

Also I happened to order on the same day exactly a year apart and calculated that Steve receives about 10 THOUSAND orders per year, so I think you’re the minority here.

Sure it’s a pain in the ass to make a list of shit you want and then find the part numbers, but you do your work, and you’re rewarded with cheap prices by quite literally the only person left on earth who actually MAKES most the parts.

Remember that Steve actually bought the Gottlieb factory and moved everything to NY so that’s how he makes all the original stuff you need and why he STILL has NOS things after almost 30 years.

#18 3 years ago

In a world full of slick websites, paypal, credit card orders and chat bots PBR is a refreshing blast from the past for me. I use PBL and Marco too but if they have what I want PBR will get my business first because they were there well before everyone else and would actually get on the phone and answer (perhaps with some gruffness at times) your questions before you could find all this information online. It is a rite of passage and I still remember my first order from them nearly 25 years ago.

#19 3 years ago

Everybody else = nice website and "click to order"
    PBR = an opportunity to interact with a giant in the hobby and maybe even learn something

#20 3 years ago

The Pinball Recourse (PBR) is usually my first stop when looking for parts as I have been working mostly on older games. I used the site long enough to have a good idea to where things are. If I cannot find a part, I will do a search with the part name and included PBR. As other have said if all fails, I send Jimmy an email. He response quickly.

I also use Marco next. I have stopped going to Pinball Life as much as I use.

#21 3 years ago

Here is a guy who is well past the age when most old farts are retired getting up every day and throwing himself at a project to help OTHER PEOPLE! Stop your pathetic fan-boy whining. PBR is the sole source for MANY parts I depend on to keep Gottlieb machine running.
    Steve also puts all his effort into PRODUCT, not fancy ways to order it. Sure, he is grumpy, you would be too if you had a face like his. If you want a little ray of sunshine in your day, GET A DOG! If you want parts, CALL THE MAN!

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Sure, he is grumpy, you would be too if you had a face like his. If you want a little ray of sunshine in your day, GET A DOG! If you want parts, CALL THE MAN!

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Sure it’s a pain in the ass to make a list of shit you want and then find the part numbers, but you do your work, and you’re rewarded with cheap prices by quite literally the only person left on earth who actually MAKES most the parts.

Terry at PBL makes a ton of his parts. Legs, bars, etc.. He has invested a ton in presses and tooling.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Terry at PBL makes a ton of his parts. Legs, bars, etc.. He has invested a ton in presses and tooling.

Yes, that is true. Terry and PBL has made a lot of the hardware available. I bought the lockdown for my Orbitor 1 from him. PBL is great, especially in cases like that. But if we’re talking Gottlieb specific, PBR makes them exclusively and he makes a few other manufacturer's parts as well.

I don’t know what else PBL offers, but kudos to them. It’s definitely not at the level Steve has, yet!

#25 3 years ago

Every time I’ve been to the PBR website it’s been pretty straight forward. They show the top riders, top bulls, the upcoming shows, ways to get tickets etc.

I checked out their shop, and seems like everything I’ve put in the cart has been in stock.

PBR’s site seems just as professional as other major sports websites to me.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yes, that is true. Terry and PBL has made a lot of the hardware available. I bought the lockdown for my Orbitor 1 from him. PBL is great, especially in cases like that. But if we’re talking Gottlieb specific, PBR makes them exclusively and he makes a few other manufacturer's parts as well.
    I don’t know what else PBL offers, but kudos to them. It’s definitely not at the level Steve has, yet!

I order from a number of vendors, depends on what I need and what they carry too. If I can get everything in one shot then I generally will hit one place rather than two separate orders. PBR, Marco, Pinball Life, ThePinballWizard.net all get my business along with Comet.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Sure, he is grumpy

I bet getting him and Tim Arnold together in the same room would be a lot of fun.

#28 3 years ago

If you're trying to find something, enter the search terms in google, and follow it with site:pbresource.com

That will return results for only pbresource.com

for example: https://www.google.com/search?q=pop+bumper+site%3Apbresource.com

#29 3 years ago

Suspect anyone with an EM has PBRs phone and/or email handy. I always use email, wait for the response of 'confirmed' and have the check ready to send out as soon as the package arrives. One time I got a response of "call me, I have no clue what you are asking for", I made sure I had as much info as possible before I called, five minute phone call and I had the right parts on the way.

Agree with others, it is a rite of passage in pinball.

#30 3 years ago

I've been ordering from steve for over 20 years! Admittedly his website isnt laid out exactly how I would do it, but you get to know your way around it after a few times.

Who else let's you order 3 or 4 hundred dollars worth of stuff, ships it to you the same day, and tells you to pay the bill when you get it?? That's blind faith in the pinball community!

I like to call steve in person. As long as you have part numbers, or at least show you made a good faith attempt to find them, he is very easy to work with. More than once, I have ordered parts for a particular job and he
    has reminded me that I should also order several others. Had he not done that, I would have realized halfway through the job I was screwed and needed other parts to finish it right. If a part is no longer available and you have the common sense (or humility) to ask steve for advice, he will often suggest several good alternatives to get the job done. Who else has the wealth of knowledge and inclination to help out collectors like that? I buy from Marco and the others, but pbr is always my first go to!

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

It is a rite of passage and I still remember my first order from them nearly 25 years ago.

Incorrect!
    Ordering through the 400+ page catalog from WICO was a rite of passage.

PBR has a lot of good parts at good prices. I order once or twice a year from them. Don't mind having to send a check but they really need to get their website updated. It's that simple.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #32 3 years ago

I miss Wico.
    Back in the day, I could call Steve on Monday and get the parts by Friday.
    Good times.

#33 3 years ago

There is absolutely a decoder ring for their website, but you have to find one first. It looks like this.

dial (resized).pngdial (resized).png

Just kidding. I normally just email them when I need something. I've called before and Steve is a really nice guy. At least to me he was...

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I order from a number of vendors, depends on what I need and what they carry too. If I can get everything in one shot then I generally will hit one place rather than two separate orders. PBR, Marco, Pinball Life, ThePinballWizard.net all get my business along with Comet.

I forgot about the wizard. He has good stuff.

#35 3 years ago

Every hero has to hang their cape up at some time and pass the baton onto the next generation. If Steve is the reason you call PBR, what will you do when he’s done, I truly hope the PBR is prepared to serve the next generation because they’re such an important resource. Evolution is inevitable, your ability to evolve is not.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you're trying to find something, enter the search terms in google, and follow it with site:pbresource.com
    That will return results for only pbresource.com
    for example: https://www.google.com/search?q=pop+bumper+site%3Apbresource.com

This is exactly what I do, and sometimes I do the same for this site as well. I get different results using the Pinside search than I do from google.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cruster:

Every time I’ve been to the PBR website it’s been pretty straight forward. They show the top riders, top bulls, the upcoming shows, ways to get tickets etc.
    I checked out their shop, and seems like everything I’ve put in the cart has been in stock.
    PBR’s site seems just as professional as other major sports websites to me.

I dont think we're talking about the professional bull riding website

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Steve also puts all his effort into PRODUCT, not fancy ways to order it. Sure, he is grumpy, you would be too if you had a face like his. If you want a little ray of sunshine in your day, GET A DOG! If you want parts, CALL THE MAN!

Good to see you Tim!

#39 3 years ago

Here’s an index of PBR links that is pretty helpful:
    http://www.papinball.com/pbr_links.html
    5FB23A6A-85DD-4D19-AA50-03B918249BCC (resized).jpeg5FB23A6A-85DD-4D19-AA50-03B918249BCC (resized).jpeg

#40 3 years ago

It’s definitely different than most other places where you pay after the fact.

My first order (just a manual as Steve recommends on the site) I put in by phone and when the package arrived, Steve sent along my unique PBR customer number and I sent a check along.

I use the approach ForceFlow defined for searching for parts. MOST of the time I don’t have a problem because I’m getting parts right out of the manual. However the times I’ve needed assistance, they’ve been very helpful.

Once you have your customer number, you can order using email. All my subsequent orders have been through email working with Jimmy who is a great help.

#41 3 years ago

Honestly, I'm surprisd you all search for parts first. I have a copy of the parts manuals (maybe that's why my process is different), and look in them for the #'s.
    I then send an email with quantity and part number and description to them.

If they're out of stock or don't have anything, they tell me, I thank them and they order what they DO have. Don't even have to GO to their site.

In very few cases I could not find a part number in the parts catalog, and would send an email with the description, and a part number that's similar and explain the difference, and they have (in perhaps 90% of the cases) found what I needed and shipped it.

I also stopped by their place, and was freakin' blown away. Aisles and Aisles of NOS parts for freakin' EVERYTHING. Plus the machines to make more. And parts they don't advertise or have on their website - I picked up an NOS Nudge-It playfield just on a whim - one email I sent was jokingly, 'You wouldn't happen to have an NOS Nudge-It playfield?'. And the reply I got back was, 'We have one. Want it?'

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Here is a guy who is well past the age when most old farts are retired getting up every day and throwing himself at a project to help OTHER PEOPLE! Stop your pathetic fan-boy whining. PBR is the sole source for MANY parts I depend on to keep Gottlieb machine running.

I already have a dog and don't need more rays of sunshine (I live in Georgia). I just need pinball parts and don't want to jump through a crapload of bullsh*t to buy them. If he doesn't like his job, retire. Simple. You too.

There's nothing "fancy" about offering credit card and paypal payments and ability to simply order online. It's 2020 not 1990.

And I have met you tim. You're a similar type of old school... how should I say this... horses behind. I wouldn't step foot in your place again if I was offered a free pass. You & your unpaid workers can't even level a damn pinball game... nevermind keeping them maintained enough to actually play after someone puts a quarter in. How about when playfield parts break off you remove them (and god forbid, replace them?!) instead of letting them float around in the game forever while the player tries to play the game? Go read your online reviews before you call me a fanboy and other stupid put downs. You have as many negs as you do +'s.

Anyway, I just spent almost $200 at marco buying the parts I needed. I didn't have to call some grumpy ahole or send a check to anyone or spend 30 mins figuring out what part numbers I needed. I just ordered online and it'll be here in 2 days. You and steve need to get a room where you can massage each others egos.

#43 3 years ago

Pretty easy, open up PBR page, then your email . Copy item number, place in email and Jimmy will take it from there.
    "Please see my notes" your order has shipped.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I already have a dog and don't need more rays of sunshine (I live in Georgia). I just need pinball parts and don't want to jump through a crapload of bullsh*t to buy them. If he doesn't like his job, retire. Simple. You too.

OR he can just carry on as he's been doing since 1977, and you can not do business with him.

Simple. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. No need for your banal noob rants about PBR, we've heard them dozens of times before from similar basic newbies who think every business should run itself like Wal-Mart and don't respect one of the founders of our hobby.

#45 3 years ago

THIS JUST REMINDED ME I NEVER PAID MY LAST ORDER INVOICE! AAAGH!

#46 3 years ago

Steve and PBR are the best.
    Best parts, best prices, and best customer service. Once you have a customer Number ordering is easy.
    I personally dread the day Steve retires.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OR he can just carry on as he's been doing since 1977, and you can not do business with him.
    Simple. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. No need for your banal noob rants about PBR, we've heard them dozens of times before from similar basic newbies who think every business should run itself like Wal-Mart and don't respect one of the founders of our hobby.

I was buying from Steve when you had to call and pay long distance rates on phone calls. I would wait to place a large order because it was more expensive to call him than it was for shipping your order.

Proud customer number 152.

Frank -

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

THIS JUST REMINDED ME I NEVER PAID MY LAST ORDER INVOICE! AAAGH!

Oh no! Steve is gonna label you as a "SLOW PAYER" and then you have to call him and beg him for your parts. LOL!

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not a newbie. I've been in the biz for decades. I did not like it and I did go somewhere else. Marco got my $200. I'll get my parts in 2 days. Thank you.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I was buying from Steve when you had to call and pay long distance rates on phone calls. I would wait to place a large order because it was more expensive to call him than it was for shipping your order.
    Proud customer number 152.
    Frank -

you're showing your age! > I remember long distance rates and party lines! But we've all evolved... except PBR.

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-decoder-ring-to-make-sense-of-pbrs-website?hl=alexmogil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.