New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 277158)

Is there a decoder ring to make sense of PBRs website?

By d0n

40 days ago

Topic Stats

• 223 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DF743C27-22E5-46F9-9BF5-212F820432A9 (resized).jpeg
    24194563-822F-4EAF-B9B0-3AA15FFB76BF.gif
    14nw2f.jpg
    ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmC+C (resized).jpg
    bcace875afc9485d74face2501417b06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200916_150344 (resized).jpg
    84BF5126-1E3C-46E9-B0FF-8AD8A1EE8E1E.gif
    4A646F0E-ACA7-4F5E-98F9-767E1D992884.gif
    337C7225-3AF5-43BC-8CD2-EFA29CB7B8A5.gif
    756AA467-2067-4EC8-B153-3C1D30934D0E (resized).jpeg
    5FB23A6A-85DD-4D19-AA50-03B918249BCC (resized).jpeg
    dial (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor.gif

There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 32 days ago
    Quoted from jfh:

You realize that cottonm4 isn’t Steve and has nothing to do with PBR, right?

LOL I sometimes wonder after reading the comments!! Been dealing with PBR for a long time and never had an issue.

#202 31 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

LOL I sometimes wonder after reading the comments!! Been dealing with PBR for a long time and never had an issue.

Oh--but just you wait and see! You're gonna need some ultra-rare part that nobody else carries or makes, but then you're going to have to look at an *old* website! Heck, you might even have to email him, or even...gulp...CALL him for the part! Horrified yet? Just you wait until he mails you the part and it arrives in a timely fashion...and you have to send him a *check* in return!!!!!

I don't know how they've managed to stay in business for 43 years, but this thread is about to put an end to that when the sheeple finally realized he's been talking them all for a ride for over 4 decades!!

Evolve or die, PBR!!

(Which reminds me it's time for me to send them the dreaded "order email" where i request parts and then pay for them with the crippling inconvenience of sending them a check (or sending them a check through my bank's website).

I'll be sure to bitch about the entire transaction while claiming to have all the answers...in 2 days when i receive the parts.

#203 31 days ago

Isnt this all just semantics now.
    Some like pbr and some do not.
    Without OP to fan this, what is the point of continuing. It is entertaining, but in the end nothing is going to change.
    So, some like pbr and some do not.

#204 31 days ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I guess I should have added a disclaimer to save confusion.

#205 31 days ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Dumb. Checks bounce, and are easily forged. Stolen credit cards rarely get used at restaurants

I’d assume cash/check only policies are about the 2.9% skim taken by Visa, not fear of chargebacks. And yes checks can be forged, but if you only take them from people you know and have done business with before, the risks are likewise minimal.

#206 31 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I guess I should have added a disclaimer to save confusion.

Op won't figure it out anyway!!

#207 31 days ago
    Quoted from jfh:

No I didn’t, but that shouldn’t make a difference. I’m not a two faced person. Whatever I’ve said behind your back, I will say to your face.

Don’t get me wrong, Steve does great work. I just think that there’s room for improvement and modernization. What good is he if all of his information is lost with him? The key is to pass it on and preserve it for the future.

#208 31 days ago

Not sure if anyone ever saw this movie, but either way, it sums everything up in one sentence.

14nw2f.jpg

#209 30 days ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

What good is he if all of his information is lost with him? The key is to pass it on and preserve it for the future.

That is a complete different argument. Completely different than the talk about the use of credit cards etc.

#210 30 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That is a complete different argument

My argument is the preservation of PBR for another 50 years. To do that, someone will have to adapt their system.

#211 30 days ago

Will Steve name a successor when hes done running PBR? Has this ever been discussed before?

#212 30 days ago

Steve restocking at PBR

24194563-822F-4EAF-B9B0-3AA15FFB76BF.gif
    #213 30 days ago

My argument is the preservation of PBR for another 50 years. To do that, someone will have to adapt their system.

This is your new other argument. You were digging in on PBR not using credit cards. You only just now brought in Steve's end of life scenario.

Steve restocking at PBR[quoted image]

When I order parts, via the phone--by choice, I always have my order in my hands in 2 or 3 days. I have made several orders since I have been in this hobby. Only once was something, some small picayune part missing. That suggest to me the warehouse is doing a pretty good job.

You resorted to a movie scene to try and make a point. Indiana Jones is fiction. You should try to find another example that is a little more real world.

#214 30 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You were digging in on PBR not using credit cards.

No, Ive been suggesting for years that PBR create a useful website, indexing their products in a searchable way, and that it is a self serve automated storefront. Credit Card payments are just a supporting argument to the refusal of modernization. Steve is a one in a million person that should in my opinion get a team of younger people in place, so that he doesn’t need to micromanage every transaction and answer the phone through his retirement.

I’ve stood by my opinion for years and been down voted along the way. But for any good company to become great the owner needs to get help to grow and reach that next step. If not it will all eventually fizzle out.

#215 30 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You resorted to a movie scene to try and make a point. Indiana Jones is fiction. You should try to find another example that is a little more real world.

10 000 000 parts. “Impossible dream” that this stock will be ever printed......

That’s straight from there website. I wonder how many people can find stock in this undocumented dream? Less then a 5?
    DF743C27-22E5-46F9-9BF5-212F820432A9 (resized).jpeg

And if doubling staff is all that it would take to make to a reality, how impossible is it?

#216 30 days ago

Its been said Ems will be still working after an EMP attack. You will still be able to buy parts for it through PBR.

#217 30 days ago
    Quoted from chad:

Without these "boomers" as you call them, we would be without a ton of games . Think of all the Gottlieb parts Steve has manufactured.!

OK well maybe they should get some zoomers to redesign their webpage, because the next generation doesn't want to deal with throwback angelfire websites and writing checks and hoping somebody doesn't yell at us for getting one number wrong. This is why places like Marco's are so popular. I'll get off your lawn now.

Edit- I should say I'm not just picking on PBR. Theres a lot of websites that are just horrific but sell good parts. Big Daddy's is one that comes to mind for me. At least big daddy's takes online payments though!

#218 30 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Edit- I should say I'm not just picking on PBR. Theres a lot of websites that are just horrific but sell good parts. Big Daddy's is one that comes to mind for me. At least big daddy's takes online payments though!

Have you ever wanted to talk to Todd on the phone? Not an easy proposition.

#219 30 days ago

No, Ive been suggesting for years that PBR create a useful website, indexing their products in a searchable way, and that it is a self serve automated storefront. Credit Card payments are just a supporting argument to the refusal of modernization. Steve is a one in a million person that should in my opinion get a team of younger people in place, so that he doesn’t need to micromanage every transaction and answer the phone through his retirement.
    I’ve stood by my opinion for years and been down voted along the way. But for any good company to become great the owner needs to get help to grow and reach that next step. If not it will all eventually fizzle out.

10 000 000 parts. “Impossible dream” that this stock will be ever printed......
    That’s straight from there website. I wonder how many people can find stock in this undocumented dream? Less then a 5?
    [quoted image]
    And if doubling staff is all that it would take to make to a reality, how impossible is it?

It sounds like you should make Stave an offer and buy him out. And then update the company.

#220 30 days ago

I see the same thing where I work. There are always going to be a bunch of know-it-alls that are sure they could improve upon an existing and successful business model. I always wonder though if they are so smart why don't they start their own businesses? Of course if by some off chance they did and managed to be successful there would be a line of know-it-alls that are sure they could do it better.

#221 30 days ago

I wonder how many people can find stock in this undocumented dream?

He has aisles and aisles of shelving units of parts - and it's all ordered by part number. 01-01 through 99-999, and then alphabet. It is actually very easy to find what you're looking for - if you know your part number.

#222 30 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I love getting all the part numbers, firing them off at Jimmy at 4AM with a question or two sometimes, he will answer and order is in.
    Done, easy as pie and it will be on my door 48 hours later.

Same here, I've ordered stuff for my early SS machine restorations via email. Jimmy is easy to work with. I kinda feel part of an elite club that I can get parts before paying because of my tenure.

#223 30 days ago

Steve has a succession plan in place. All on 3x5 cards, but it is in place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 189.99
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 200.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 9.99
    Various Other Swag
    Circus Maximus
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.95
    $ 12,500.00
    There are 223 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside