(Topic ID: 277158)

Is there a decoder ring to make sense of PBRs website?

By d0n

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF743C27-22E5-46F9-9BF5-212F820432A9 (resized).jpeg
    24194563-822F-4EAF-B9B0-3AA15FFB76BF.gif
    14nw2f.jpg
    ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmC+C (resized).jpg
    bcace875afc9485d74face2501417b06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200916_150344 (resized).jpg
    84BF5126-1E3C-46E9-B0FF-8AD8A1EE8E1E.gif
    4A646F0E-ACA7-4F5E-98F9-767E1D992884.gif
    337C7225-3AF5-43BC-8CD2-EFA29CB7B8A5.gif
    756AA467-2067-4EC8-B153-3C1D30934D0E (resized).jpeg
    5FB23A6A-85DD-4D19-AA50-03B918249BCC (resized).jpeg
    dial (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor.gif
    There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 3 years ago

Outdated site
    Have to pay after the fact by check
    Often gruff, order too much? Complaint. Don't know a part number? Complaint.

Of course pinsiders love it.

I dont order from pbr. Its too big a pain in the ass. Getting part numbers is easy enough but I don't want to make a list and ask if he has it. Ask how much it is. Figure out shipping. Then wait to pay. It made sense when he opened, it stopped making sense over twenty years ago.

Ordering from Europe, Australia, Marco, bay area, mad amusements, pbl and ebay have gotten the job done without putting up with it. Almost forgot big daddy as they are a breeze to deal with.

Shitty experience does not make a rite of passage.

#102 3 years ago

i remember the first time i ever spoke to Steve on the phone. he helped me locate the parts i needed, and then...

Steve: "Give me your address and I'll send them out today with a 30 day Invoice. Make the check out to 'The Pinball Resource", not me personally. And make sure you write the invoice # on the check."

Me: "Check?!? I can just give you a credit card right now and square this away."

Steve: **Grunt** "You've obviously never done business with me before."

Me: "Really? Well, you're right, I haven't. But what makes you say that?"

Steve: "Because if you had you'd know I never do ANYTHING electronically!"

Me: "OK, but I found your phone number on your website."

********Crickets...................................................********

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I’m fine saying PBR isn’t for me. I knew that the few times I stumbled on the confusing website. It’s just a weird attitude to take, perhaps it’s not his main line of work and has no interest in expanding and making more money. Whatever it is it’s fine with me.

I think it's more that he's busy enough and making enough money right now, why change?

A new website costs money. Needs a developer. If you're taking CCs you gotta be PCI compliant. Sure you can outsource but still extra work to keep track of it all.

So now PBR has a spiffy new website and the orders are coming in faster than he and Jimmy can fill them. Worse, neither has time to talk to or email their customers and fix all the f*ckups in the orders to help make sure folks get the parts the actually need. So they hire more people, but the new employees don't have nearly the knowledge Steve and Jimmy have. They just pack boxes, and now PBR is just another pinball parts supplier.

Can you understand now that Steve simply doesn't want that?

#104 3 years ago

Guys like Steve is what makes pinball great. Unique personality, incredibly knowledgeable resource who can be incredibly helpful. Like most of us, (LTG being a notable exception) he has limited patience for the clueless. He will be candid and blunt and expects you to have enough info so he can help you. He is old school in every way, and given his product line that totally works for the majority of us.

#105 3 years ago

You want candid and blunt?

Count me among those who believe it is rarely appropriate to deliberately be a jerk.

Especially with customers!

Being irritated because someone doesn't know as much as you do is counterproductive.

Telling people trying to order that they are wasting your time, really? It's your freaking job. What could be more important than helping a customer get an order figured out? In a hurry to get back to playing Minesweeper?

Is making people feel bad good for repeat business?

And just what is so admirable about being stuck in the last century?

But who am I to complain? If someone is happy satisfied with their old school system, undesirous of progress or improvement, and enjoys belittling people for not being able to find a part or its number on their website, thanks to its haphazardness and incompleteness, more power to them, I guess?

#106 3 years ago

I remember when I set up an account years ago and i was thinking to myself this seems stupid....pretty much had the same attitude as d0n, this is the 2009 or whatever it was back then.
    But once it was all set up its done. I still buy from him to this day along with other major players. Now i just pay him from an app on my phone when package arrives.. I would also assume if you are an American customer, can you send him an Etransfer?
    PBR great prices especially if you spend over $100 and great service along with decent shipping costs on most items....downside for me as Canadian ....parcels usually take min 2 weeks, Marco, Planetary and Pinball Life fair prices but better if you can buy in bulk and they have really stepped up their shipping prices lately and will receive in 3-4 days.
    D0n if you are an active pinhead like you say ....then I'm sure you will need PBR(Steve) in your life at some point or at least know someone with an account especially if you own Gottlieb.
    Just take the plunge and set up an account then its over and you can have enjoyable orders for years to come. I am sure there will be a day when PBR comes to cart based shopping but I don't see it anytime real soon.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from canea:

Is there a bigger pinside faux pas than suggesting PBR is anything less than perfect?

Suggesting JJP makes anything but The Best-built, Highest Quality pinball machines is on-par.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Count me among those who believe it is rarely appropriate to deliberately be a jerk.
    Being irritated because someone doesn't know as much as you do is counterproductive.
    Telling people trying to order that they are wasting your time, really? It's your freaking job. What could be more important than helping a customer get an order figured out? In a hurry to get back to playing Minesweeper?
    But who am I to complain? If someone is happy satisfied with their old school system, undesirous of progress or improvement, and enjoys belittling people for not being able to find a part or its number on their website, thanks to its haphazardness and incompleteness, more power to them, I guess?

He’s not a jerk.

In 20 years and hundreds of orders, he’s never once been “a jerk.”

The problem is people mistake being curt or direct as “being a jerk.” Too many decades of having phony smoke you don’t deserve being blown Up your ass as Walmart policy.

I’ll take Steve any day. He’s real.

#109 3 years ago

I first became knowledgeable about PBR when I was building my visual pinball machine in 2012. I stumbled onto PBR with a google search. My order person was a woman. She advised me about establishing credit by making small purchase. I told her I was surprised they had so many parts available. She replied, " He has 30,000 customers from around the world."

When I brought my 1st pin home, a Stern Big Game, I needed parts and called. Steve answered the phone. I told him what I had and he said he did not supply for Sterns. I said, "well, would you be interested in trying?" I had already had established credit with my first buy in 2012.

My first order for my Stern pin, along with some tools tallied up to $150.00. The order was here in 2 days. I checked for proper inventory and sent the check. But while I was on the phone making the order, I ordered some of those switch point files. Steve proceeded to jerk me through the phone line and said (actually yelled), "You don't want those for your pin. You don't use these files on gold plated switch contacts ! " His point was made and I never forgot.

Steve is old school. He was an operator and knows the pain that comes when an earning machine is out of service. He ships fast. All of my orders are here in two days. Always. He ships fast, he expects fast payment. I don't have a problem with that.

I like the telephone way of ordering. My cousin uses email. When I call and Steve answers, I give my name and my assigned PBR customer number. and tell him I am making an order and that I have some of the part numbers but not all of them. We get to work with the part numbers I do have, and then I tell him what I need but don't have the part numbers for. And he has always seemed to know what I need; You have to figure that all of parts are not in his catalog.

With those parameters, he knows you have expended some effort to look up your part numbers and he is cool with the no-number stuff.

I have asked him a couple of questions about some parts ( classic Stern flipper parts ) and he gets a little elevated. I think he does not like to say "no" but he has no choice.

You all like his cheap price for parts. But surely you would not expect to get those same cheap prices if he was taking credit cards. Cards will bite a retailer with a 5% service charge. Would you be ready to pay 5% extra just so you can use your card? No, you would probably whine about that, too.

Plus with credit cards, at the end of the month he has to tally the credit charge up and go to the trouble of making a payment to the credit card company. If he took Visa and not MasterCard, some of you would whine about him not taking MC. And then their is Discover. And American Express. He would have to hire some else just to handle the paper work.

With 30K customers around the world I doubt he is losing any sleep if you decide you do not want to do business with him.

During my last order, I asked if he preferred my to order via email or continue with the phone. He has no preference and said he learns things all of the time on the phone calls. With that, I will probably continue to order via the telephone.

He has been around awhile and does not have to put up with any bullshit. And he doesn't. If you are in a business that allows you to do that then you are golden. You say that is bad business. Perhaps.

When I was a professional buyer, it was common for buyers to get nasty with suppliers all of the time and most of the time there was no need to get nasty. But there was one supplier down in Ft. Worth that had a lock on its market. It had no competition. I had a couple of buyer friends get nasty on the phone with the order taker ( Her name was Mary Brown). The next thing these buyers learned was that Mary, and her boss, would no longer mess with them. So another buyer had to step in to get the order made. The message: Straighten up and fly right and be professional if you want to do business with us.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Oh no! Steve is gonna label you as a "SLOW PAYER" and then you have to call him and beg him for your parts. LOL!

Oh, this is what it is. You yourself did the "slow pay" and got your hands slapped And now you cry the blues.

Did he make YOU beg for your parts? You seem to know all about it

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:But who am I to complain? If someone is happy satisfied with their old school system, undesirous of progress or improvement, and enjoys belittling people for not being able to find a part or its number on their website, thanks to its haphazardness and incompleteness, more power to them, I guess?

Quoted from cottonm4:

With 30K customers around the world I doubt he is losing any sleep if you decide you do not want to do business with him.

There is your answer bub.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

D0n if you are an active pinhead like you say ....then I'm sure you will need PBR(Steve) in your life at some point or at least know someone with an account especially if you own Gottlieb.

Ive needed his parts many times. I have a bunch of gottlieb's... but refuse to jump through the hoops and act as if it's still 1989. I can't remember the last time I wrote out a check or sent a snail mail. I'm sure as heck not going to do it for a few pinball parts. I got everything I needed from marco. I spent $201. Imagine all the guys like me that are avoiding PBR and spending $200 somewhere else? How much lost income does that add up to in a year? I know, I know, steve doesn't need me or all those other guys $200.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

I am sure there will be a day when PBR comes to cart based shopping but I don't see it anytime real soon.

after steve dies and his heirs sell the company.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He’s not a jerk.

He is a jerk. He's a "real" jerk. LOL I've dealt with him 2 times on the phone and that was enough to make me know he's a jerk. He thinks he's the only game in town so he can be a jerk to customers. Sorry nope. thats not how it works.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

He is a jerk. He's a "real" jerk. LOL I've dealt with him 2 times on the phone and that was enough to make me know he's a jerk. He thinks he's the only game in town so he can be a jerk to customers. Sorry nope. thats not how it works.

Enough. You’ve made your point.

But it should be abundantly to you clear from this thread that your opinion is in the minority and unlikely to change the buying habits of those of us that understand the value Steve and PBR brings to the hobby.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh, this is what it is. You yourself did the "slow pay" and got your hands slapped And now you cry the blues.
    Did he make YOU beg for your parts? You seem to know all about it

He did make me beg for parts and did label me as a "slow payer" back when I first ordered in 1991 or so. It's a freaking check in the mail. How fast do you think it's gonna get there? Did I send it? YES. Did you get paid? Yes. Then what's the problem? Well, I have it written here in my rolodex that you're a "slow payer" so grovel to me and tell me why I should send you my parts.

Ummm, no thank you.

I have a bunch of pinball friends that would order for me like others have mentioned they do in this post. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I'll get it from marco or ebay or pinballlife. Life is too short to deal with PBR.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Enough. You’ve made your point. .

ok does this mean I can't post anymore now that you've told me "ENOUGH"? Are you my mommy or the site owner? Just curious.

And if you actually READ the entire thread, you'd see that as many people think PBR is bullcrap that love it.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

ok does this mean I can't post anymore now that you've told me "ENOUGH"? Are you my mommy or the site owner? Just curious.
    And if you actually READ the entire thread, you'd see that as many people think PBR is bullcrap that love it.

Sounds like you are doing Steve a favor by not dealing with him.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

if you actually READ the entire thread, you'd see that as many people think PBR is bullcrap than love it.

I’ve read the entire thread. It’s clear from your posts and your attitude that you have an agenda and a thin skin. And the juvenile mommie/owner comments show your true colors. We get it; you don’t like Steve. Don’t do business with him. I’m sure he will appreciate it.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I’ve read the entire thread. It’s clear from your posts and your attitude that you have an agenda and a thin skin. And the juvenile mommie/owner comments show your true colors. We get it; you don’t like Steve. Don’t do business with him. I’m sure he will appreciate it.

Ok enough!

LOL

Really sounds stupid telling someone that on a website forum huh?

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

It's just money. Call marco and ask them how tough it was for them to sell me $201 worth of parts today.

#122 3 years ago

The negative attitude on this site is getting worst and worst. You said what you had to say, many times over. OP.... please drain and move on.

#123 3 years ago

this... is what everyone thinks but no one has the cajones to say on pinside... the home of the ravenous peanut galleries.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from Brewchap:

The negative attitude on this site is getting worst and worst.

LOL

AYUH!

You got a purty mouth boy.

#125 3 years ago

dOn-
    I just got off the phone with Steve- he read this thread and you have convinced him to change his whole business plan. He told me that he has been doing everything wrong for all these many, many years. He asked me to thank you- You have saved PBR!

#126 3 years ago

Quoted from d0n:

I've had two conversations with Steve over the phone over the past few years. Very pleasant and interesting conversations, and he seemed happy to chat.

Nothing like the stories that get perpetuated about him and maybe that get a little exaggerated in the retelling.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

It's just money. Call marco and ask them how tough it was for them to sell me $201 worth of parts today.

Troll. Not only did you OVERPAY with Marco’s markup, but you also lost the 10% discount with a PBR order over $ 100. You have proven PT Barnum correct simply because thinking is just too hard for you and too easy to click on pretty pictures.

PLONK

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

LOL
    AYUH!
    You got a purty mouth boy.

Oh no! He's back. We were all hoping you went away, but no, still beating the dead horse.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

but you also lost the 10% discount with a PBR order over $ 100.

I did not know this. I just checked my last invoice for $120 and saw the discount was applied. That is sweet. I like them even more now.

#130 3 years ago

337C7225-3AF5-43BC-8CD2-EFA29CB7B8A5.gif337C7225-3AF5-43BC-8CD2-EFA29CB7B8A5.gif84BF5126-1E3C-46E9-B0FF-8AD8A1EE8E1E.gif84BF5126-1E3C-46E9-B0FF-8AD8A1EE8E1E.gif4A646F0E-ACA7-4F5E-98F9-767E1D992884.gif4A646F0E-ACA7-4F5E-98F9-767E1D992884.gif

#131 3 years ago

I like Steve and doing business with him.He is nowhere close to being as negative as the poster.

#132 3 years ago

I get it... PBResource.com is in the dark ages. Yes; they make doing business hard for the internet generation.
    I actually think Steve is setting behind his monitor sayin "no soup for you"... but at this point; I'm not convinced he actually surfs the web.

That said; vent here. but you have to respect a person for wanting to do business his way. It's his right and your right to take business else where.

Usually; I let google help me find the parts I want on their site. Or I visit the pages for the parts I specifically want. That PopCap page is... impressive.

Edit: the response above was before Luckydogg420 's post... Well played sir; great minds.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

That said; vent here. but you have to respect a person for wanting to do business his way. It's his right and your right to take business else where.

There are plenty of people who are stuck in their ways. He is stuck doing business in the 70s. He refused to change and at this point is close to retirement so no sense in doing so now. Its not something to garner respect. Just another old timer thinking that change is scary.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He’s not a jerk.
    In 20 years and hundreds of orders, he’s never once been “a jerk.”
    The problem is people mistake being curt or direct as “being a jerk.” Too many decades of having phony smoke you don’t deserve being blown Up your ass as Walmart policy.
    I’ll take Steve any day. He’s real.

I too have placed countless orders with Steve for over 20 years. I have never had a problem - ever. Steve is the man, for sure.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

There are plenty of people who are stuck in their ways. He is stuck doing business in the 70s.

And it seems to be working for him up till the point he is ready to retire.

Old ways are not always bad ways.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Depends on how you look at it. He is the only game in Town for some parts. That has kept him in business. Has he sold as much as he could have otherwise? Doubt it. Lot of people have gone elsewhere.

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

There are plenty of people who are stuck in their ways. He is stuck doing business in the 70s. He refused to change and at this point is close to retirement so no sense in doing so now. Its not something to garner respect. Just another old timer thinking that change is scary.

Some of you will not recognize this song: American Pie by Don Mclean. In the early 70s. For years people wasted their time trying to figure out what the song was all about.

Someone finally asked Don Mclean what the song "American Pie" meant. He said, " It means I never have to work again if I don't want to".

Steve has his business. It is working for him and he does not have to do anything if he does not want to.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Depends on how you look at it. He is the only game in Town for some parts. That has kept him in business. Has he sold as much as he could have otherwise? Doubt it. Lot of people have gone elsewhere.

So? Clearly he is not losing sleep over it.

I buy plenty from Steve, even stuff available from other vendors. Good service, shipping and pricing.

Also order from Marco and Pinball Life, plenty to go around and I for one am glad there are options. Several people have mention how good we have it, which was not always the case not long ago.

#139 3 years ago

Just to clarify, I was simply playing Devil's Advocate before. I have no problem with Steve running his business the way he wants to. He obviously already gets all the business he wants, so there is no need to change. If he irks a would-be customer here and there, it has not hurt his bottom line enough to warrant making major changes in his website, order system or attitude. At this point modernizing just looks like headaches.

Perk of owning the business! Things would be different if he had a board of directors to answer to. (All they would know is "More! MORE!")

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

He did make me beg for parts and did label me as a "slow payer" back when I first ordered in 1991 or so. It's a freaking check in the mail. How fast do you think it's gonna get there? Did I send it? YES. Did you get paid? Yes. Then what's the problem? Well, I have it written here in my rolodex that you're a "slow payer" so grovel to me and tell me why I should send you my parts.

You said it all right here. You slow-paid. Got your hands slapped and had to beg and grovel. And you are still butt-hurt 20 years later. Does he still have you on his shit list today?

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Just imagine how much he could sell the business for if it was running at top speed. He would be able to enjoy his retirement fully.

Sears lost out to Amazon
    Blockbuster lost out to Netflix

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

It's easy. Marco buys the Gottlieb parts from Steve, marks the price up (no pun intended) and sells them to you. When you buy from Marco, you are still putting money in Steve's pocket.

#143 3 years ago

Personally, I've ordered thousands of dollars in parts from Steve over the years. Look at my collection and you can see why. All I do when my order arrives is pull up my bank website and enter the Invoice number and total price and the bank automatically cuts a check to PBR without the 3-5% that credit cards and Paypal cost. In the end, this system works just as easy as an online shopping cart for me. When you include the automatic 10% discount for orders over $100 along with the lack of built in credit card costs, I have probably saved enough over the years to pay for the Sky Jump that I just bought.

#144 3 years ago

When the power went out in Town a line of customers waited outside a little country store to get food, propane and supplies. Why? He had a mechanical cash register.
    There is a NAPA store here that does not use computers, still by catalog and cash. Everyone goes here instead of the Advance Auto. Why? Price and he always has what you need.

Just two examples where old school is still king.
    I will always buy from PBR if they have it.

#145 3 years ago

I like PBR.
    I find Steve funny.
    The parts are good quality. I like that he trusts me, a stranger , to pay him.
    Quick and accurate service. Cheaper than others. A real person to deal with.
    His advice is priceless.
    One of these pbr threads pops up every 6 months.
    With all the underhanded sellers ( mostly small) it is nice to deal with a really great guy.

#146 3 years ago

I know a few restaurants that only take cash or a check, no cards. They are able to do it because they are excellent. Kinda like PBR. Old school owners who don’t want to pay the fees to credit card companies or PayPal. They don’t care, and doing fine without.

#147 3 years ago

Oh jeez, I just remembered it's been so long since I ordered from PBR that I don't recall my customer number!

And I need some relays! Augh!

I might have to fire up old computers to look through old emails!

Maybe I'll play dumb and act like a new customer. My address has changed anyway...

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

Exactly. Steve uses his filter so he knows who to deal with or not. Many documented cases.

Remember when he told gameseum Steve to take a hike after he changed his order address 4 times?

He was way ahead of the curve there!

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

I know a few restaurants that only take cash or a check, no cards.

Dumb. Checks bounce, and are easily forged. Stolen credit cards rarely get used at restaurants, thieves want cash or pawnable merch, quick before the card gets cancelled.

If the card user also wants all the pies in the pie case to go, then I'd be suspicious.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly. Steve uses his filter so he knows who to deal with or not. Many documented cases.
    Remember when he told gameseum Steve to take a hike after he changed his order address 4 times?
    He was way ahead of the curve there!

Remember Okatu?

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-decoder-ring-to-make-sense-of-pbrs-website/page/3?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.