(Topic ID: 277158)

Is there a decoder ring to make sense of PBRs website?

By d0n

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DF743C27-22E5-46F9-9BF5-212F820432A9 (resized).jpeg
    24194563-822F-4EAF-B9B0-3AA15FFB76BF.gif
    14nw2f.jpg
    ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmmC+C (resized).jpg
    bcace875afc9485d74face2501417b06 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200916_150344 (resized).jpg
    84BF5126-1E3C-46E9-B0FF-8AD8A1EE8E1E.gif
    4A646F0E-ACA7-4F5E-98F9-767E1D992884.gif
    337C7225-3AF5-43BC-8CD2-EFA29CB7B8A5.gif
    756AA467-2067-4EC8-B153-3C1D30934D0E (resized).jpeg
    5FB23A6A-85DD-4D19-AA50-03B918249BCC (resized).jpeg
    dial (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    tenor.gif

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 3 years ago

After I bought my first EM, I needed some shit and I was legit nervous before I called Steve. Reading everything, I knew I needed parts numbers and other stuff. I did my homework before I called.

He couldn’t have been nicer. He corrected me on a few things, but order placed, my shit showed up 2 days later and I sent him a check. Not a big deal.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I was buying from Steve when you had to call and pay long distance rates on phone calls. I would wait to place a large order because it was more expensive to call him than it was for shipping your order.
    Proud customer number 152.
    Frank -

You are an early bird too... mine is under 100.
    Congratulations! Ah, the days before the internet.
    When one had the only way to order parts,
    mail and landline phones.

#53 3 years ago

If you are looking for Gottlieb stuff you are more likely to find it at PBR. On generic stuff, like rubber rings and standard hardware, it’s got that stuff too. Interchangeable parts across brands, like coils and springs, yup! Where he doesn’t have a strong story is the newer game specific parts.... but worth checking with him anyway. Send him the part numbers and he’ll tell you what he’s got. And yes the stuff he has will be cheaper than Marco or PBL to be sure. And I still like the “send me a check later” way of doing business... like I am in a small town going to the corner malt shoppe!!!

#54 3 years ago

Steve has forgotten more shit than you'll ever know about pinball.

Man up and call.

#55 3 years ago

Can’t imagine what I’m going to do for Gottlieb or EM parts without PBR.

If you can’t figure out the website or need to be spoon fed to order, go somewhere else. Those in the know stick with Steve and are immensely thankful for all he has done for the hobby.

#56 3 years ago

Yes- ordering through PBR can be intimidating at first... but the more you do it the easier it gets.

Having to write a check is not as easy as credit cards, but they charge a HUGE amount to the seller and open up business to get screwed over by crappy buyers. The way Steve does it saves everyone money.

Finally- STEVE IS AMAZING!!!
    No, he doesn’t hold your hand, but he is MORE than helpful.

#57 3 years ago

I just got my first PBR order last week and they rock! Sooo much cheaper than Marcos (especially since Marcos doesn't carry a lot of older stuff). They've got my business!

And honestly, never had any issue with the web site...maybe because I've been online since the dawn of the internet and ALL online shopping used to be like that, except sketchier...but I opened the FAQ and then went to town!

Truth of the matter is, you will inevitably order from each of the suppliers eventually if you stay in this hobby long enough, not one of them has everything...although PBR is close!

#58 3 years ago

I’m sure his has been said many times already but here’s how you order from them:

EMAIL ONLY

ask them to set up a customer number.

Once set up, always have the parts guides from PPS handy. They want you to have part numbers when you order.

If it’s a gottlieb game, I just tell them the game, and the parts I need if I don’t have the parts guide or manual. They are good with that.

They send an email back confirming what they have or don’t have, with prices. You confirm, they confirm and mail the stuff to you.

Once you receive, mail a check back to them.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

I gave up on it years ago. It's so damn difficult to order parts that I just call friends who already have an account and ask them to order stuff. Literally the last place I look for anything.

The process you go through to call friends is literally the process to order from PBR. Haha

And it should be the first place you look for gottlieb parts at a minimum. Their prices are better than most places too on the common stuff.

#60 3 years ago

I’ve never once spoken on the phone with them. Emails only. Super easy. You can go back and reply to a previous order to make a new one. It’s so easy. The first order is slow, after that it’s easy. Just as fast if not faster than the other sites.

I can’t remember the last time I’ve visited their website either.

I probably make at least a dozen orders a year from them and spend 500-1000 bucks a year.

If it was an annoyance I wouldnt give them that kind of business.

#61 3 years ago

Another old timer here with a pile of old Gottliebs that PBR has kept going for 25 years. Through the many years, I'm amazed at the parts PBR has come up with and if new was unavailable, they've come up with used as an alternative. Steve is a true classic and definitely old school but it works for me. "Keeping Pinball cheap"works for me too, it takes a few parts to keep 80+ pins going, thank you Steve.
    For ordering, I use the old Gottlieb catalogs for the part numbers and e-mail then send an online check from my bank. Steve uses the same numbers just adding GTB in front.
    I was intimidated at 1st by the grumpy guy until you get to know him and I got a dog

#62 3 years ago

Is there a bigger pinside faux pas than suggesting PBR is anything less than perfect?

#63 3 years ago

Nobody's saying he's perfect, just saying that many people do like him and use his store, and it's stupid to complain about him when you can simply use an alternative store instead. Like, why even make this post?

#64 3 years ago

This topic has been beaten to death many times.

#65 3 years ago

Use Marco or manuals for parts number, then PBR for the price

#66 3 years ago

PBR #1. I legit have paid their monthly rent at least 5 times over with the amount of parts I have bought from them over the years.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Their prices are better than most places too on the common stuff.

everyone keeps saying PBRs prices are great etc etc etc. Sure, they may be a couple bucks cheaper than marco or pinballwizard but I CAN ORDER ONLINE AND PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD OR PAYPAL AND NEVER HAVE TO FIND A PART NUMBER OR TALK TO A GRUMPY AHOLE ON THE PHONE OR SEND A CHECK IN SNAIL MAIL AFTER PARTS ARRIVE!

I'll pay the couple bucks more every single time thanks.

#68 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

This topic has been beaten to death many times.

why do you think that is?

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

everyone keeps saying PBRs prices are great etc etc etc. Sure, they may be a couple bucks cheaper than marco or pinballwizard but I CAN ORDER ONLINE AND PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD OR PAYPAL AND NEVER HAVE TO FIND A PART NUMBER OR TALK TO A GRUMPY AHOLE ON THE PHONE OR SEND A CHECK IN SNAIL MAIL AFTER PARTS ARRIVE!

OK, so why the thread?

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

OK, so why the thread?

same reason you responded... because I can.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

What’s the point of this thread then? To bitch? Seemed like you were looking for help or trying to see what you we’re missing about their website. Plenty of help here to show you it’s not hard at all to order from them. If you had no intention of ever ordering from them, why post?

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

why do you think that is?

Because people can be stupid. Pretty simple, if you don’t like a vendor, don’t buy.

#73 3 years ago

Why bitch on here

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Because people can be stupid. Pretty simple, if you don’t like a vendor, don’t buy.

or maybe because it's been a known problem for years or decades and no one has ever solved it. Ya'll just put up with it. Stupid is as stupid does. People can be stupid. People that order from PBR.

#75 3 years ago
    756AA467-2067-4EC8-B153-3C1D30934D0E (resized).jpeg756AA467-2067-4EC8-B153-3C1D30934D0E (resized).jpeg
    #76 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Why bitch on here

cause it's a fooking pinball site duh? You're really that stupid to ask that question?

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

[quoted image]

pinrob-detective on duty! Did you draw that red circle all by yourself?

Only 7 moderated. Thats not bad!

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

or maybe because it's been a known problem for years or decades and no one has ever solved it. Ya'll just put up with it. Stupid is as stupid does. People can be stupid. People that order from PBR.

Put the PBRs down and send an email and get your parts in 2 days from PBR.

Have a good weekend.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

cause it's a fooking pinball site duh? You're really that stupid to ask that question?

Quoted from d0n:

Solve what dummy. If you don’t like that company then don’t buy. Obviously a lot of people do buy or they would be out of business.

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Solve what dummy.

Why you need to resort to calling names?

#81 3 years ago

It’s a good thing we are in America. Lots of choices. Order from the business that you like. If you are to dumb to write a check then no one here can help you.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

If you are to dumb to write a check then no one here can help you.

wow you have been reported twice for not being nice.

and it's actually ..."TOO" not "to"... dummy.

too, to and two. Learn the difference.

#83 3 years ago

You did ask if I was really stupid. Anyway, good luck and I hope this thread is done

#84 3 years ago

I am reporting. Really?

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

I am reporting. Really?

huh?

#86 3 years ago

Now I’ve been banned from the website m. Thank you

#87 3 years ago

Just kidding

#88 3 years ago

I’ve wound up on that site a few times in my parts searching but found it so confusing i went elsewhere. Business would probably boom if the site we’re updated for 2020. If they want to stay old school that’s cool, but this is 2020 and i expect to be able to find my parts without having to make phone calls and talk to people. Just simply the way of the times.

#89 3 years ago

PBR is amazing. I love their system. To me it's top notch customer service. They have been super helpful many times when I didn't know what I needed. I much rather send an email or call Steve and talk to him. I guess Im not easily offended because I don't find his gruff nature that intimidating.

Its much easier to me than to google around Marco and pay a lot more.
    your mileage apparently varies.

#90 3 years ago

Final words. PBR is not perfect. Who is. But they run a nice business and provide some parts that no one else does. Their prices are very reasonable and service is outstanding.

They really don’t need miserable people buying from them. They have plenty of satisfied customers.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

PBR is amazing. I love their system. To me it's top notch customer service. They have been super helpful many times when I didn't know what I needed. I much rather send an email or call Steve and talk to him. I guess Im not easily offended because I don't find his gruff nature that intimidating.
    Its much easier to me than to google around Marco and pay a lot more.
    your mileage apparently varies.

I agree, Steve can send me the right part even if I cannot quote a number but i can describe the game and the mechanism

#92 3 years ago

PBR has been my go to for 7 machines, em and ss,williams,Bally,Gottlieb.
    I like their parts, especially their rubber.
    Send an e-mail, the package comes amazingly fast. I send a check.
    There has only been one item they couldn't supply. They recommended a Gottlieb part that would work on a Williams, it did just fine.
    I like their flipper rebuild kits and pop bumper rebuild kits.
    My problem is I can't find EM projects, at least not this year.
    I would love to send Pinball Resource an order, I miss the experience.
    Never called them though and had the pleasure of speaking with anyone, always e-mail.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Final words. PBR is not perfect. Who is.

Is it your final words or do we all have to stop responding now?

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Is it your final words or do we all have to stop responding now?

Yes

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I just need pinball parts and don't want to jump through a crapload of bullsh*t to buy them. You and steve need to get a room where you can massage each others egos.

If you haven’t figured it out yet, PBR is not for you. Steve will be just fine without you. So step away from the keyboard and go play your broken pinball machines.

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

If you haven’t figured it out yet, PBR is not for you. Steve will be just fine without you. So step away from the keyboard and go play your broken pinball machines.

I’m always excited to purchase from someone that has no interest in acquiring new customers or improving the experience for their customer or modernization.

#97 3 years ago

Imagine if amazon was run like PBR.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

I’m fine saying PBR isn’t for me. I knew that the few times I stumbled on the confusing website. It’s just a weird attitude to take, perhaps it’s not his main line of work and has no interest in expanding and making more money. Whatever it is it’s fine with me.

#99 3 years ago

Honestly websites are so cheap and easy to build now with all those prebuilt template sites. I’m surprised one of his kids or one of those guys that work with him or even a Pinsider hasn’t worked with him yet to build a new site. (Trick there would be knowing Steve enough to catch him on a good day and basically already have the site done and just show him)

I used to cry about the site and process too until I actually placed my first order. Then I laughed about it because it’s so awesome.

1. Send email or call if you want some fun
    2. Get stuff 2 days later
    3. Write a check and PAY AFTER GETTING PARTS

It’s cool as hell that a business like this still exists. It’s a reminder that it’s STEVEs business and he will run it how he wants. Not ours.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Imagine if amazon was run like PBR.

Maybe it is done that way by PBR deliberately to weed certain buyers out.

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-decoder-ring-to-make-sense-of-pbrs-website/page/2?hl=iwasthebruce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.