(Topic ID: 33651)

Is there a condition ranking guide for a used pin?

By Mocean

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RWH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I've done some searching but the quality rankings and scores seem pretty subjective. I'm always reluctant to tell someone my machine is an 8/10, say, because what does that really mean? Is a player always beat but "no credit dot"?

When I list in excruciating detail every little flaw I feel like I make an overall nice machine sound like garbage.

What is the current wisdom on conveying condition?

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Pictures.

Seriously, people can get hung up on condition. For instance, anytime I hear 'HUO', "mint" or anything similar, I run the other way. Those translate into "I want more money than this machine should ever be worth". Better to just take some good pictures, and let people ask for additional pictures if needed.

#3 11 years ago

Players machine= serious playfield wear, cracked plastics, credit dot

Shopped= rubbers replaced within last year, playfield given wipe with Novus two right before photos taken for craigslist, new balls

HUO= I dont see any lock down bar holes, must be HUO

To be serious, I find just be as descriptive and honest as possible when selling a machine. Tell the buyer all the things you have worked on or fixed. Point out any playfield wear, cabinet dings, or cracked plastics. Provide through high res pics so they can see all of that if they are not local. Provide a history of where the machine has been to the best of your knowledge. I know you hate to point out every flaw so make sure you accentuate the good as well. I like to give a list of all the positives first -- Like I just redid all of the GI connectors, the playfield is diamond plate with no wear, I just replaced this expensive hard to find ramp-- then hit them with the bad.

Honesty is always the best policy.

#4 11 years ago

Subjective at best.....more often just plain bull, especially ebay.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-condition-ranking-guide-for-a-used-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.