(Topic ID: 154626)

Is there a better sub 4K game than STTNG?

By usandthem

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A47199CC-9DAD-4F0F-AD0E-B89695330987 (resized).jpeg
e9527302-ebed-4c67-9177-b0d1c732b19a_(resized).jpg
iron_(resized).jpg
i-SCrVMdJ-X3_(resized).jpg
i-FWTNmWr-X2_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I don't believe that there is. In fact, I can't even think of anything that's close. I just purchased an STTNG and am just having a blast with it. Here's a game that is spoken in the same breath as TZ, TAF, IJ, and (maybe) WH20. These games are probably the big 5 of early 90's W/B DMD and all top 20 all-time games.

You can get a nice example of STTNG for under 4K. It's really unbelievable based on how much nice examples of the other aforementioned titles are fetching these days. I love WH2O, but as far as play and features go, it pales in comparison to STTNG. The only thing it has over STTNG is charm. It is definitely oozing with that. TZ, TAF, and IJ are $1500-$3000 more.

STTNG is so feature-packed, it's beyond belief when you've been spending a lot of time playing Sterns on location recently. The bright lights and newness can really cloud your vision. Those games are so "nothing" compared to a game like STTNG. And the only Sterns you can get sub 4K are the ones that you probably don't really want anyway. The combination of flow, modes, diverters, ramps, toys, and just all around "things to do" is really unparalleled, in my opinion.

Obviously, the market has spoken and there is a reason why STTNG is so "cheap". Obviously, cheap being a relative term. But it can't just be the numbers. There were twice or 3 times as many TZ's and TAF's and about the same number of IJ's.

Anyway, feel free to chime in with agreement or disagreement and explanation. It's always interesting to read the perspective of others.

#15 8 years ago

Shadow might be close to being on par, but I don't think it's better.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

TS, SM, WCS'94, FH, BSD, I500, etc etc.....

Maybe you misunderstood the question- haha

#16 8 years ago

I love Congo too. But by all indications on Pinside, it seems to have passed STTNG in price.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Wow, really? I didn't think that was the case; I would've put an average Congo around $3400, and an average STTNG around $3700. Maybe I'm mistaken, as I haven't kept up with Congo prices as much since I found mine a couple years ago.

It sure seems that way, unless it's just a price-pumping vocal minority.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

There are many better w/b pins that are less expensive imo.. Its great that you love it and are having fun but everyone has a opinion so there is no right or wrong answer to your question.

Of course there isn't a right or wrong answer. So far, the only game that's come up multiple times is The Shadow.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from jchiu:

This game is going to slowly lose its appeal as new titles come out.

I don't know. A new Stern pro, which costs $1000 more than STTNG with two ramps and a bash toy and really nothing else is going to lose its appeal, even as a newer game, faster than TZ, IJ, and STTNG, I think.

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Never been able to get into STTNG. It's has an awesome sound package but just isn't that fun to play IMHO. The same price or less you can get a ST pro, Met pro, TS, Indy500, Congo, FT, funhouse, WW, etc. All of which I would prefer over STTNG. It's just not for me.

To be honest, prior to getting the STTNG, I played a lot more Stern ST then I ever did STTNG. I kept trying and trying. Everyone said that they game is so great, so I kept trying to figure out why I didn't "get it". Anytime I ever played STTNG on route, I flopped so fast that I never really got to see what the game was all about. Now that I own it, I see that Stern ST was heavily influenced by STTNG. However, it just feels like the kiddie version. Conversely, STTNG would be the LE. Heck, not even the LE. If Stern released anything of STTNG caliber, it would be a SUPER LE and MSRP at 10K and sell for 9K.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

It isn't normal, but for some reason there have been 3-4 STTNGs for sale around Michigan lately, all price from $3600-4000...nice examples too. One was priced at $4100 with LEDs and the laser canons. I almost bought one, but decided on POTC instead.

POTC is a Stern jewel, Mike. '06-'08 were my favorite Stern years-- POTC, SM, and BDK. Fun, quality, fully-featured pins. No LE's required.

1 week later
#181 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think there is a better $4K game than STTNG, and I don't think there is a better $3K game than Shadow. Or a $2K game than JM. Once you get up to $5K games is where it gets really tough!

I agree. However, I think STTNG competes with plenty of 5k games all day long, to tell you the truth.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 15.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 63.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-better-sub-4k-game-than-sttng?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.