(Topic ID: 154626)

Is there a better sub 4K game than STTNG?

By usandthem

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A47199CC-9DAD-4F0F-AD0E-B89695330987 (resized).jpeg
e9527302-ebed-4c67-9177-b0d1c732b19a_(resized).jpg
iron_(resized).jpg
i-SCrVMdJ-X3_(resized).jpg
i-FWTNmWr-X2_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#157 8 years ago

I just picked up a STTNG this past weekend (sub $4k for a players condition machine.) Been on my list for a long time, and one that I've played a lot and have really enjoyed it. While I am thoroughly enjoying it, there are a lot of games around that price point that are also a lot of fun. However, the theme integration, voice work, wide body, Steve Ritchie flow, ramps, cannons, and "warping" balls by the subway system really make it unique. I really don't think you can compare it to the Shadow or Tron -- all three are very different games each with some strong unique features (battle field in Shadow, spinning disk in Tron). If you like one more than another, great. But arguing about it is as silly as debating if vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry ice cream is best.

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Silly, yeah, but along with speculating and arguing about prices that's about all we have going on here. So I think we should let it continue.

Very good point. STTNG > Shadow (IMHO).

#184 8 years ago

Just to add more fuel to this thread.

I picked up a players condition STTNG two weekends ago (sub $4k) and have been working my way through getting the game playing 100%. Even when not working perfectly, it is a blast. Now that it is humming along and everything is working (well, at least for tonight), it is a fantastic game. Many different strategies to consider, depending on what shots are finding their home and which shots end up down the side drains. I also had a Shadow for several months (storing it for a friend while his house was renovated). While fun and in fantastic condition, I really ended up not playing it too much. Maybe it was too hard for me as I recall many 90 second games with two or three flipper hits before draining, but I mostly played other games in my collection. STTNG, on the other hand, feels as though it will be one that I return to play on a regular basis. But, considering that STTNG is about $1k more than a Shadow, it is in a different league.

But, for someone considering a STTNG, I place it much higher on the "amount of thinking to figure out the shit you'll need to fix" list than a Shadow. But if you enjoy working on pins, that just means more fun.

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I would rather play JM than MM and JD than MB so with the exception of current market value which is the last thing I would ever base a pins fun factor on then play what you like.

There is no accounting for taste!

But, I feel the same way about Baywatch. For me, a ridiculously fun game with great shots and made all the more sweeter because it is a sub $2k game.

2 years later
#235 5 years ago

STTNG is one of the few games I bought again after selling my first one. I payed much more than $4k for the second one (and less than $4k for the first one.) . Oh well, WPC wide-body, three flipper, Steve Richie, Star Trek greatness!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsden.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-better-sub-4k-game-than-sttng?tu=lyonsden and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.