(Topic ID: 154626)

Is there a better sub 4K game than STTNG?

By usandthem

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A47199CC-9DAD-4F0F-AD0E-B89695330987 (resized).jpeg
e9527302-ebed-4c67-9177-b0d1c732b19a_(resized).jpg
iron_(resized).jpg
i-SCrVMdJ-X3_(resized).jpg
i-FWTNmWr-X2_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 8 years ago

It's certainly the best deal going these days for a pinball machine.

I've seen many very nice ones around $3500 here. A gorgeous one sold at Allentown last year on Saturday afternoon at less than that.

Obviously it's not for everybody but few games are.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from HoneyBadger:

World Poker Tour!

People need to stop trying to make world poker tour happen.

It's a $2500 or better HUO game for a reason. Nobody wants it.

Maybe tackle a NASCAR image rehab and see if you can get that one to stick.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I would say STTNG for the win but a close second would be No Good Gophers. NGG has just as much going on with subways, spinning disk, launch ramp, pop ups, etc. There is a ton going on in NGG. Third would probably be a tie with IJ and Wh20.

Ngg is a fun game but it certainly doesn't have as much going on. The software in particular is nowhere near as polished or well thought out. And it's buggy as hell.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I have not been watching prices but don't recall STTNG going for less than $4000. Looking at online sales, I see what looks like nice ones for around $4500 and players for high 3's. One was mid 3's but had issues. STTNG is not my fav pin but great fun when in good condition and 100%. Tough to beat if you can find a nice one for less than $4000.

Several have gone for closer to 3500 on pinside in the past year. Nice ones.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Can't believe people are hyping shadow over STTNG - if you like the theme and you like pinball, you cannot go wrong with STTNG!
Also - not sure where you can find a nice example for 4K, but if you can - jump on it. I paid $6k for my semi HEP STTNG and it is part of my permanent collection now.

Everyone has a different opinion of "nice" but two nice ones were for sale here THIS WEEK under $3700.

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

There are some additional considerations that can effect the price, such as reliability and rarity. I think STTNG suffers from the reliability factor.

Well, it also suffers from being the last game to sell over 10,000 units (unless a Stern game has done it and they aren't talking). There are TONS of STTNGs out there which certainly affects price, far more than games like Shadow.

Let's not kid ourselves though $4,000 isn't exactly cheap. It's just a good value in this climate.

#119 8 years ago

Any game can be brutal if it isn't going your way. The STTNG outlanes are only brutal if you are missing your shots. If you aren't beefing shots and get into a groove they aren't.

And light your kickback!

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

It isn't normal, but for some reason there have been 3-4 STTNGs for sale around Michigan lately, all price from $3600-4000...nice examples too. One was priced at $4100 with LEDs and the laser canons. I almost bought one, but decided on POTC instead.

When all the STTNGs you see sell are around $4k, at some point, it's normal.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yes it really is.
Modes in Shadow are a challenge to get to and complete. The modes in Star Trek can be started on the ball launch. The design in Shadow is a beautiful art deco, and definitely has that one more game factor. Shadow has far more balanced scoring than Star Trek, which is heavily reliant on Borg Multiball and the Final Frontier. And Shadow is much more of a challenge to get to the Wizard mode.

This seems like it was written by someone who hasn't really gotten to know Star Trek.

You can start modes with the launch, but who does that? I never do unless I have a bunch of EBs and I'm trying to get to my second or third Final Frontier.

I'm always locking balls, going for holodeks, or warp 4. And the whole idea behind Final Frontier is that you are trying to do well in the modes and get some artifacts together before starting it. It's not some mad dash to just get FF, which wouldn't be nearly as profitable. That's hard to do in Star Trek.

Shadow wizard ain't exactly tough. 4 modes? That's like half of what you need to do in Star Trek. And you can half-ass the modes completely if I recall, it doesn't matter if you time them out.

The scoring on Star Trek is balanced nicely actually. You can play for modes and FF, or you can go for multiballs over and over. Or...both. So plenty of ways to score, and modes can be lucrative and so can Multiballs - nice to stack multiball on top of Q as well. That's always a fun and satisfying setup.

I've owned both and enjoyed both but STTNG is a deeper game I always thought the software had more to offer as far as range of strategies and different paths a game can take.

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

If you like one more than another, great. But arguing about it is as silly as debating if vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry ice cream is best.

Silly, yeah, but along with speculating and arguing about prices that's about all we have going on here. So I think we should let it continue.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Can`t we agree that The Shadow and ST TNG are both great?
Nuances beyond that can be mostly attributed to personal preference or experience. I have owned a STTNG for 15 years, and have barely played the shadow (in comparison). But if they are both good games does it matter "whose cuisine reigns supreme?".

iron_(resized).jpg

This forum exists to argue about stuff like that. It's kind of the point.

And STTNG is way better than the Shadow.

2 years later
#198 5 years ago

Star Trek is a great game but what a royal pain in the ass. I'll be happy enough not owning one again.

Shadow or Congo both good games I'd call it a toss up.

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Does anyone have any actual documentation cases showcasing why TNG is such a royal PITA? Or is this another case of "Well, everyone says it, so I'll say it too...!!!"

Just buy one and find out.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

The game is fun but there is no game play other than modes.

That's not really true, you can go modes or you can go multiball or a bit of both.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.99
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-better-sub-4k-game-than-sttng?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.