(Topic ID: 154626)

Is there a better sub 4K game than STTNG?

By usandthem

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A47199CC-9DAD-4F0F-AD0E-B89695330987 (resized).jpeg
e9527302-ebed-4c67-9177-b0d1c732b19a_(resized).jpg
iron_(resized).jpg
i-SCrVMdJ-X3_(resized).jpg
i-FWTNmWr-X2_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#107 8 years ago

I think boils down to this.

Great art + Great theme + Great gameplay + Great theme integration = Top Dolllar
Bad art + Bad theme + Bad gameplay + Bad theme integration = Bottom Dolllar

Most games are some mix of these and their prices reflect it.

There are some additional considerations that can effect the price, such as reliability and rarity. I think STTNG suffers from the reliability factor.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, it also suffers from being the last game to sell over 10,000 units (unless a Stern game has done it and they aren't talking). There are TONS of STTNGs out there which certainly affects price, far more than games like Shadow.
Let's not kid ourselves though $4,000 isn't exactly cheap. It's just a good value in this climate.

True, that's the rarity (or lack of) aspect. Also agree $4k isn't cheap. I've been collecting for a while and it's difficult to ratchet up to these new prices. It's also very hard to pay NIB prices when I compare some of the new games at $5k to $8k to games like STTNG, TZ and TS (even at the prices they are commanding).

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

If you are looking to spend right around 4k you can't do better than STTNG. I've had mine for four years now and it's not going anywhere.

One of my favorites too but it can be brutal. I suspect it's not very beginner friendly.

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Any game can be brutal if it isn't going your way. The STTNG outlanes are only brutal if you are missing your shots. If you aren't beefing shots and get into a groove they aren't.
And light your kickback!

Completely agree. That's why it may be tough for beginners who aren't able to control their shots.

Quoted from Spock:

However as brutal it can be, my wife who is not an avid player has beaten me several times. So somehow, it is still inviting to newcomers.

Does your wife like the game and would you consider her a beginner?

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

To be honest, prior to getting the STTNG, I played a lot more Stern ST then I ever did STTNG. I kept trying and trying. Everyone said that they game is so great, so I kept trying to figure out why I didn't "get it". Anytime I ever played STTNG on route, I flopped so fast that I never really got to see what the game was all about.

A dialed in STTNG is hard to find. But when you do, it's a very different playing experience.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

STTNG. Owned it for several years. Parted with it for a NIB Tron pro.............. never looked back.

Boggles my mind. I look at Tron and see an ugly playfield with a couple of clunky shots and pretty basic layout.

However, so many people love it. At first I thought it was just loved by newbies that hadn't played any of the classics, but then I looked at peoples collections and that wasn't the case.

Tron got me to accept how subjective the pinball experience is.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I also used to own Congo and I would agree that is is a much smoother playing game than Tron. What Tron has that I like is the ass kicking factor. Where I can play 10 games and struggle to get past 40M, then put it all together on the next game for 115M. It's a shooters game, meaning tight shots and repeatable shots. Nothing really bad about STTNG, I just like Tron more.

Yep. When I first played Tron it reminded me of High Speed. Fast and brutal with short game times. But every once in a while you have a break-out game.

#169 8 years ago

Picard Maneuver - need I say more?

#171 8 years ago

Yes, I must. There are a lot of nice little touches in STTNG, like the magic it does with staging balls in the subway to speed up gameplay. It's also the first DMD where I actually noticed the animations. They got the timing just right so you are drawn to look up at the screen yet it doesn't feel like it slows down the game. Collecting Alpha, Beta, Delta then Gamma in order for 2 artifacts is always satisfying.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-better-sub-4k-game-than-sttng?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.