(Topic ID: 154626)

Is there a better sub 4K game than STTNG?

By usandthem

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A47199CC-9DAD-4F0F-AD0E-B89695330987 (resized).jpeg
e9527302-ebed-4c67-9177-b0d1c732b19a_(resized).jpg
iron_(resized).jpg
i-SCrVMdJ-X3_(resized).jpg
i-FWTNmWr-X2_(resized).jpg

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 5 years ago

Does anyone have any actual documentation cases showcasing why TNG is such a royal PITA? Or is this another case of "Well, everyone says it, so I'll say it too...!!!"

Any thorough threads or web pages documenting this? Like the page that exists for JM's hand rebuild ?

Also, funny to see the documented prices of TNG being a sub $4K game all of two years ago. How the times do change...!

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Does anyone have any actual documentation cases showcasing why TNG is such a royal PITA? Or is this another case of "Well, everyone says it, so I'll say it too...!!!"
Any thorough threads or web pages documenting this? Like the page that exists for JM's hand rebuild ?
Also, funny to see the documented prices of TNG being a sub $4K game all of two years ago. How the times do change...!

The subway/trough is the problem area and the cannons can also be a issue. Also this pin can still b had for 4k or less. I almost bought 2 recently that were 4k .

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Just buy one and find out.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

way to many optics that can cause symptoms that just don't seem related to a problem you might be experiencing.

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I sold mine because it was a royal PITA, or I didn't have the proper electronic skills to diagnose issues. It took me months to get the borg ship lock to work, then a cannon went down, then it couldn't find balls, I probably can count on 2 hands the number of games I've had where the machine was fully working.

It's still a fantastic games though, and unlike back in the days it seems easier to find replacement boards nowadays, so these are factors to consider in the PITA scale.

#206 5 years ago

The game is fun but there is no game play other than modes.

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

That's not really true, you can go modes or you can go multiball or a bit of both.

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's not really true, you can go modes or you can go multiball or a bit of both.

That is true. The Borg MB is a lot of fun especially if you can load the ball where it shoots it back at you.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

I want to know who's selling one under 4K today.

I think Kingpin might have one if you are seriously looking. In passing he mentioned having one with a Color DMD. Get a quote from him, but I think he said he was looking for 4k, but perhaps that was just one in the 4k's.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I will in due time. Gauging how ready I am to deal with potential issues. That's why I am asking for feedback. If it's a matter of determining the operation of optos, ok. If its erratic blowing of transistors or something meticulous that requires some methodical skill sets, then I'd like to know ahead of time.

Got any detailed guidance or experience with TNG being difficult to maintain?

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

way to many optics that can cause symptoms that just don't seem related to a problem you might be experiencing.

But you still have one in your collection? I'm curious as to why if the game is such a PITA. Looking to learn as a potential owner.

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

But you still have one in your collection? I'm curious as to why if the game is such a PITA. Looking to learn as a potential owner.

Got one because its, a great game, and once you get everything working correctly, it's not such a pita, just takes longer to diagnose.
Definitely need to have patience when diagnosing a problem, mines been free of problems for years.

#213 5 years ago

I’ve had one for over 10 years and I would never call it a pain in the ass. I would say it just enriches you as a hobbyist even more. Sure the cannons can be finicky, and the optos may require a little bit of troubleshooting, or you may need to replace the general illumination connector with Molex. But this is all part of the fun as well. I for one will never sell mine, because it’s my favorite television show of all time, and the game is amazingly immersive.

Buy yourself a good soldering iron with temperature controls and go all in without hesitation.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Go for it! There plenty of people here willing to help you.
I would only recommend don't buy a project one, get one thats working.

#215 5 years ago

It's by far been the most reliable of my machines and it is played as much as the others. Great game, deep rules not just modes. Many different strategies can be used for points. My only complaint, and it's not actually a complaint, is that it can be brutal. It really punishes you for missed shots more than any other pin, in my opinion. Of course, I also love the theme.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Yeah, not true at all...

#217 5 years ago

Love this game BTW, it is definitely a great value in this day and age; best Wide Body I've ever played.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Love this game BTW, it is definitely a great value in this day and age; best Wide Body I've ever played.

You should give Indiana Jones and Twilight Zone a try.

#219 5 years ago

I agree, best Williams/Bally widebody.

I've had mine about 5 years. Almost zero issues. Maybe I've just been lucky?

#220 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I’ve had one for over 10 years and I would never call it a pain in the ass. I would say it just enriches you as a hobbyist even more. Sure the cannons can be finicky, and the optos may require a little bit of troubleshooting, or you may need to replace the general illumination connector with Molex. But this is all part of the fun as well. I for one will never sell mine, because it’s my favorite television show of all time, and the game is amazingly immersive.
Buy yourself a good soldering iron with temperature controls and go all in without hesitation.

Good to know. Thank you for your insights and input! I like to tinker and learn how to bring games back up and running or keep older games firing on all cylinders. I'm not in a major hurry to get one yet, but I am trying to get one in the next 2 years or so. Back in 2012, this was a $3200 game all day long. Trying to get in before it costs the same as a NIB Stern Pro.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#221 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Agree wholeheartedly. Steel sharpens steel.

And learning how to be a repair wizard is half the fun (for me, at least).

#222 5 years ago

Haven’t had any more problems with mine than about any other game. Two years later and still digging it.

A47199CC-9DAD-4F0F-AD0E-B89695330987 (resized).jpegA47199CC-9DAD-4F0F-AD0E-B89695330987 (resized).jpeg
#223 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I agree, best Williams/Bally widebody.
I've had mine about 5 years. Almost zero issues. Maybe I've just been lucky?

Had mine over ten years, has been pretty much trouble free

#224 5 years ago

I have had my TNG since ~2001 with ~6000 plays and relatively few issues. I think the "mode start" opto just burned out (they are bulbs after all) and I had to reattach a flipper wire, and adjust the "neutral zone switch" one time.

I have also done the usual circuit board upgrades and replaced the GI connector, but that is just pretty much standard on games that old.

All in all, not bad for that many years.

It stays in my collection as it IS hard; games are not long, and I have fun. I honestly just try to get Warp Factor 8, and if I get that, I try to get the extra ball and start multiball.

If I played the game "normally" (time out some modes, try to get to final frontier with minimal risk, go for multiball all day every day... ) I may have sold it years ago. But I have fun playing it my way

Price wise, it is a no brainer compared to many other games. The best "hard" WPC game I can think of... the only really hard WPC game I can think of as well...

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

The best "hard" WPC game I can think of... the only really hard WPC game I can think of as well...

Have you played The Shadow? I've have them sitting next to each other and I find The Shadow to be more brutal. Don't get me wrong, both games are hard, but at least with my setups I can repeat the Shuttle Ramp (Beta Quadrant) fairly consistently. I also find starting modes to be a whole lot easier on Start Trek. That damn mode shot on The Shadow is super tight.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Have you played The Shadow? I've have them sitting next to each other and I find The Shadow to be more brutal. Don't get me wrong, both games are hard, but at least with my setups I can repeat the Shuttle Ramp (Beta Quadrant) fairly consistently. I also find starting modes to be a whole lot easier on Start Trek. That damn mode shot on The Shadow is super tight.

That is fair; I have found The Shadow challenging when I have played it, but I have not owed one or played it enough. I just thought I sucked .

If the shadow is a mean beast in home use, I may have to grab one

#227 5 years ago

Cannot express how happy I was when I sold this machine...very glad to see it go.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Have you played The Shadow? I've have them sitting next to each other and I find The Shadow to be more brutal. Don't get me wrong, both games are hard, but at least with my setups I can repeat the Shuttle Ramp (Beta Quadrant) fairly consistently. I also find starting modes to be a whole lot easier on Start Trek. That *** mode shot on The Shadow is super tight.

If your upper right flipper is adjusted correctly, you can make the left orbit(mongol) shot and hold the right flipper up, when the ball comes around it will flow right into the kahn hole which also starts a mode.
I never go for the mode shot unless it's for an extra ball , the orbit shot is 100% more satisfying.

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

If your upper right flipper is adjusted correctly, you can make the left orbit(mongol) shot and hold the right flipper up, when the ball comes around it will flow right into the kahn hole which also starts a mode.
I never go for the mode shot unless it's for an extra ball , the orbit shot is 100% more satisfying.

There was some debate about that in The Shadow forum awhile back. My game was setup that way for awhile, but because the majority seemed to feel that was not part of the intended design I changed it. Certainly would make the game much easier though.

EDIT: Do you know the slope on your game? When mine was setup at 7.25 it did that. Now that it's a bit more shallow it does not.

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

There was some debate about that in The Shadow forum awhile back. My game was setup that way for awhile, but because the majority seemed to feel that was not part of the intended design I changed it. Certainly would make the game much easier though.

I could have sworn there was feedback from Eddy that it was part of the design, either way I can still hit the shadow loop and up into the battlefield with it set this way so I'm going to stick to the idea that it was intended.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I could have sworn there was feedback from Eddy that it was part of the design, either way I can still hit the shadow loop and up into the battlefield with it set this way so I'm going to stick to the idea that it was intended.

If I ever want to reach The Final Battle, I might have to join you. Starting the modes is by far the greatest limiting factor for me.

#232 5 years ago

If I ever want to reach The Final Battle, I might have to join you. Starting the modes is by far the greatest limiting factor for me. Would you please check and post the slope setting on your game?

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

If I ever want to reach The Final Battle, I might have to join you. Starting the modes is by far the greatest limiting factor for me. Would you please check and post the slope setting on your game?

Do it!

Yes, i'm at 6.5 deg

#235 5 years ago

STTNG is one of the few games I bought again after selling my first one. I payed much more than $4k for the second one (and less than $4k for the first one.) . Oh well, WPC wide-body, three flipper, Steve Richie, Star Trek greatness!

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Wow, really? I didn't think that was the case; I would've put an average Congo around $3400, and an average STTNG around $3700. Maybe I'm mistaken, as I haven't kept up with Congo prices as much since I found mine a couple years ago.

pretty junky congo just sold yesterday for 4500

3 weeks later
#237 5 years ago

With the pinflation I'm encountering I'm not sure STTNG is an "under $4k" game anymore.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from printzone:

With the pinflation I'm encountering I'm not sure STTNG is an "under $4k" game anymore.

It's not. Hasn't been for years and years actually. Not in my area.

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

pretty junky congo just sold yesterday for 4500

In all fairness, his comment was 2 to 3 years ago. I remember in 2013, a STTNG for $3400 was like "whoa, better be nice...."

Welcome to the new age.

1 week later
#240 5 years ago

I paid 5k for mine. Granted, SoCal prices, but it is not even all that great, and I already had to put some work in it. Under 4k is tough these days.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-better-sub-4k-game-than-sttng/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.