(Topic ID: 154626)

Is there a better sub 4K game than STTNG?

By usandthem

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A47199CC-9DAD-4F0F-AD0E-B89695330987 (resized).jpeg
e9527302-ebed-4c67-9177-b0d1c732b19a_(resized).jpg
iron_(resized).jpg
i-SCrVMdJ-X3_(resized).jpg
i-FWTNmWr-X2_(resized).jpg
There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 8 years ago

I don't believe that there is. In fact, I can't even think of anything that's close. I just purchased an STTNG and am just having a blast with it. Here's a game that is spoken in the same breath as TZ, TAF, IJ, and (maybe) WH20. These games are probably the big 5 of early 90's W/B DMD and all top 20 all-time games.

You can get a nice example of STTNG for under 4K. It's really unbelievable based on how much nice examples of the other aforementioned titles are fetching these days. I love WH2O, but as far as play and features go, it pales in comparison to STTNG. The only thing it has over STTNG is charm. It is definitely oozing with that. TZ, TAF, and IJ are $1500-$3000 more.

STTNG is so feature-packed, it's beyond belief when you've been spending a lot of time playing Sterns on location recently. The bright lights and newness can really cloud your vision. Those games are so "nothing" compared to a game like STTNG. And the only Sterns you can get sub 4K are the ones that you probably don't really want anyway. The combination of flow, modes, diverters, ramps, toys, and just all around "things to do" is really unparalleled, in my opinion.

Obviously, the market has spoken and there is a reason why STTNG is so "cheap". Obviously, cheap being a relative term. But it can't just be the numbers. There were twice or 3 times as many TZ's and TAF's and about the same number of IJ's.

Anyway, feel free to chime in with agreement or disagreement and explanation. It's always interesting to read the perspective of others.

#3 8 years ago

Been looking at for sale listings on this game for almost two years. I don't think I have ever seen one listed for lower than 4,500. I am sure sub 4k ones are out there, but that doesn't seem like an "all day long" kind of price. 1 out of 11 of the ones that come up in the market place is below 4k. Still, I think this game is a great value at even 4,500. Tons, to do, can be brutal, so it would stay a long time in most collections I am sure. Would love to get one at some point.

#4 8 years ago

There are some great Sterns at around the 4K mark right now: RBION, POTC, Mustang. I like STTNG, but I'd spend a little more for one of those. In the B/W category there are tons of great "B" titles.

I haven't spent a lot of time with STTNG, but I know those that own them love them. I don't see them come up very often.

#6 8 years ago

No.
/thread

#8 8 years ago

I thought about Congo too. I haven't owned either of these games, but I feel like STTNG would last longer in my collection. Congo seems way easier than STTNG.

#9 8 years ago

Floyd you have a very valid point. STTNG is most definitely a "one more" kinda game, loaded to the gills with fun shots.
But why not save a grand and buy an Indy 500 ? Either way, you win.

#10 8 years ago

ha ha mine is not sub 4k! It is a great game.

#11 8 years ago

STTNG is an awesome pin. I miss mine and regret selling it. I mistakenly thought that since I bought Stern Star Trek, I wouldn't miss it. WRONG.....
I'd buy another one if one came up locally for $4k

#12 8 years ago

White Water, Dredd, and Congo are all more fun in my mind, and all (except maybe White Water) can be had for less money than STTNG.

#13 8 years ago

Nope. Great game for the money. Its value gets hurt some due to theme, qty produced, and complexity/more things to break.

#14 8 years ago

fantastic ridiculously packed game. it's great for home use because it's so challenging -- can take a long time to master managing those outlanes! i love that there are mulie paths to high scores - artifacts/final frontier, or the limitless cumulative Borg Multiball jackpots, or the super spinner strategy.

#15 8 years ago

Shadow might be close to being on par, but I don't think it's better.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

TS, SM, WCS'94, FH, BSD, I500, etc etc.....

Maybe you misunderstood the question- haha

#16 8 years ago

I love Congo too. But by all indications on Pinside, it seems to have passed STTNG in price.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I love Congo too. But by all indications on Pinside, it seems to have passed STTNG in price.

Wow, really? I didn't think that was the case; I would've put an average Congo around $3400, and an average STTNG around $3700. Maybe I'm mistaken, as I haven't kept up with Congo prices as much since I found mine a couple years ago.

#18 8 years ago

If anyone is selling a nice players for less than $4k pm me!

#20 8 years ago

When are you picking it up?

#21 8 years ago

Skateball

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

When are you picking it up?

If I didn't just pay in full on a MET Pro I'd be all over it

#23 8 years ago

The Shadow maybe.

#24 8 years ago

I've always heard that reliability is a problem with STTNG. I played it but I didn't enjoy it very much. The art is faithful and the callouts are awesome but I'm just not interested in ever owning one. I would actually like to have the DE Star Trek more. STTNG seems like a deep game though. There are just so many games under 4k that I would prefer owning.

#25 8 years ago

DE star trek is neat... for about 15mins.

STTNG is top three for theme integration ever

The congo hype is so overrated. Some interesting shots but its not the kind of game that keeps you coming back.. and it has nothing compelling about theme, toys, sound, etc. You play it, you excel at it, and you walk away and don't think about the game until the next time you play it.

STTNG is a packed beast.. and always a fun play when the game is tuned. But it would be intimidating for n00b owners.

#26 8 years ago

I would say the Shadow might be the best bang for you buck pin

#27 8 years ago

Shadow for the win!

STTNG, although a good game, can get a bit tedious.

#28 8 years ago

I picked one up a few years ago, and struggled finding a nice one around that price point. But yea it's laughably better than other games around that price point. Enjoy!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Wow, really? I didn't think that was the case; I would've put an average Congo around $3400, and an average STTNG around $3700. Maybe I'm mistaken, as I haven't kept up with Congo prices as much since I found mine a couple years ago.

It sure seems that way, unless it's just a price-pumping vocal minority.

#30 8 years ago

STTNG needs to have good strong flippers, waxed, and dialed in it is a blast to play!

#31 8 years ago

The correct answer to this question is: The Shadow.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

It sure seems that way, unless it's just a price-pumping vocal minority.

It's seems lately, for whatever reason, STNNG has been coming up for sale a lot right around 4K

#33 8 years ago

Shadow end of thread.....

#34 8 years ago

There are many better w/b pins that are less expensive imo.. Its great that you love it and are having fun but everyone has a opinion so there is no right or wrong answer to your question.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

There are many better w/b pins that are less expensive imo.. Its great that you love it and are having fun but everyone has a opinion so there is no right or wrong answer to your question.

Of course there isn't a right or wrong answer. So far, the only game that's come up multiple times is The Shadow.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Of course there isn't a right or wrong answer. So far, the only game that's come up multiple times is The Shadow.

I'd probably take BSD over it, as well

#37 8 years ago

Is there a better sub 4K game than STTNG?

Yeah, a few 100 or more...

WPT, JD, EBD, Joker Poker, Centaur, Fathom, Shadow, EATPM, SST, Robowar, Rbion, diner, funhouse, tomcat f-14, getaway, TSPP, taxi, jackbot, bsd, tommy, TFTC, star gazer, nine ball, I could go on forever-

#38 8 years ago

You will have a very hard time finding a STTNG for under $5k at this time . If anyone has a good one for 4k around Philadelphia, please let me know and ill buy it tomorrow.

#39 8 years ago

All the one's I have seen for less than 4k have issues.

#40 8 years ago

I own all 4, STTNG, IJ, TAF, and WH20. All are awesome or they wouldn't be here. STTNG would be the last one to leave, but I doubt there are many good examples for less than 4K these days. There are plenty of GREAT games for under 4K though. Many mentioned above such as Shadow, Congo, or even HS2. Heck, Stargate would even be a great bargain and you could find a nice one for WAY less.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from rplante:

Shadow for the win!
STTNG, although a good game, can get a bit tedious.

How about a throw down? You being my neighbor and all...

#42 8 years ago

STTNG's have always been the cheapest of the big 3 titles released in 1993, (sorry JD does not qualify IMO), why, I'm not sure. Even back when they were relatively new, 1995 or so, you could always get it for less money than TZ or IJ. Not sure why this has been the case, their production #'s are relatively the same.

#43 8 years ago

All of them STTNG is a stinker IMO

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Manny10:

You will have a very hard time finding a STTNG for under $5k at this time . If anyone has a good one for 4k around Philadelphia, please let me know and ill buy it tomorrow.

I sent you a PM.

#45 8 years ago

Shadow comes close but STTNG is just a better overall package. I don't think anything tops it at its price point. Looking at the top 15 games on the Pinside 100 list and IPDB it is generally the least expensive and most attainable game relative to high rankings which means that the general consensus agrees with the OPs statement.

#46 8 years ago

STTNG is my all time favorite pin, but some games that come close to as fun for me are White Water and Funhouse.

#47 8 years ago

I have owned STTNG,IJ,TZ,TAF twice since I started collecting in the late 1990's. I bought them early on and sold them figuring I could buy them back ( well at a much higher price now). I ended up re buying all of them ( sold TAF again unfortunately). Now that I have a lot more time with pins and have owned my share, I can say all of the one's mentioned are great in that they integrate the theme so well into the game. I personally think so does TS, Congo, I500,BSD, and WW2o.

STTNG, might be the hardest to play ( The outlanes are brutal and you can have a lot of clunker shots). It is also at times difficult to maintain, but when tuned in and you can make the left Ramp shot consistently, a great game. The Borg multi ball light show is really good for a game from this era and who doesn't like a ball shot at you from the Borg cannon. Call outs from all the actors are best in the class and it is a game that mere mortals can reach the wizard mode.

I agree it is discounted from the other B/W greats and TS/Congo are catching up in price. I find that funny cause TS/Congo were so difficult to sell a decade ago. That being said, buy it a decent price, enjoy it, and you should be able to get your money back if you so desire. One last thing , if you move one have a friend with you, it is one heavy SOB.

#48 8 years ago

You can find them for less than $4k. It's not hard. This game is going to slowly lose its appeal as new titles come out. Most people who own it, will at some point, want to move on - same for TZ, IJ, and all the other highly rated classics. There are so many choices now.

I had a chance to buy one for $3800 and passed.

#49 8 years ago

I've wanted to obtain an STTNG since I started gathering my own collection of pins about 8 years ago, but for some reason this particular pin always escapes me. Whenever I have money for a pin purchase, there never seems to be an affordable or decent condition STTNG available, and instead of saving my money for one to come along, I always by something else, LOL. Congrats to the OP "usandthem". Someday I'll get one of these to enjoy at home.

#50 8 years ago

I absolutely love sttng. It was my first pin and will never sell it. In fact - I have often considered buying a second one, though I don't know where it would go or what I'd do with it. I think I paid 4000 Cdn for it about 10 years ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-better-sub-4k-game-than-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.