20151223_214324_(resized).jpg
20151223_214338_(resized).jpg
20160123_072357_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
Slash-Wizard-of-Oz-pinball_(resized).jpg

There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I think both WOZ and ST are good games but WOZ is much better. By a mile.

I really wanted like the ST/LE because it is so beautiful, but it turned out to be a snooze fest for me.

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

To reply to the poll,my vote is NO!! My reason,when this pin came out,ST was also released! I played both at PAGG 2014,and too many negative plays proved to me that ST was more fun for my bucks! First,the flying monkey feature continually broke down! Balls drained before you could track the play! For you committed fans,it is a flashy play field!This opinion is from a senior pinheads point of view! peace!!

So it seems illogical to make a complete determination based on a specific problematic game you played a couple of years ago to how Woz actually is today.

It's kind of like playing a dirty machine and being convinced that the every model is no good because you played a dirty one.

#203 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I really wanted like the ST/LE because it is so beautiful, but it turned out to be a snooze fest for me.

Just the opposite for me and many others... STLE has turned into a gem and WoZ... beautiful machine but...

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Just the opposite for me and many others... STLE has turned into a gem and WoZ... beautiful machine but...

Same as every other machine in existence...WOZ just seems more polarizing than most games for some reason. Not much middle ground on it, people seem to love it or hate it.

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I am sure there are many in both camps.

Most of the folks I play with at Silverball find ST to be a chore and few are big fans of WOZ either.

IM, SM and FG are big draws with the folks I play with.

#206 8 years ago

Love my standard... first pin out of 13 my wife let me having in the living room.

#207 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I agree completely; WOZ is gorgeous, but so boring. Overly complicated too; I always thought the LCD backbox would be amazing; but in actuality, you never really look at it while playing, and in the off-chance that you do, there is way too much going on to figure out while you have a ball or multiple balls in play.

It's a shame, because it's such a great looking game.

#208 8 years ago

Pretty and polished looking in comparison to what is out there, but boring, slow, and the theme is not for me. LCD is also a useless distraction, unless you're a spectator. It is definitely impressive though, and I'll always play it when I come across it in the wild.

The amount of "stuff" packed into this game reminds me a bit of TZ. I'm not a fan of TZ either, too much clutter.

I wonder of those that like TZ, how many also like WoZ?

#209 8 years ago

Had the machine for a year. Melted the witch a few times, never touched SWOTRB. Way too hard, and didnt care to do it really. It was fun to play and my guests loved it, but I got bored with it after a while. I found it to be pretty linear. Get emerald city multiball goin, hit the rainbow targets, spin the house, get the witch hurry ups. Its all about stacking, and if you dont, your score is crap. I was going after the same things over and over. Granted, this was older code. I still need to go update the machine in its current location (not public). Maybe its gotten better. Music was kind of maddening too, you can only hear that song over and over for so long. Its a neat machine, lots of toys, but once you see them all do their thing, meh.

Also I dont agree about the standard. It looks like total poopoo. Silver does not look good. Either EC or RR. We had the RR. Cant beleive how cheap these go for second hand compared to what we paid new.

#210 8 years ago

RR would be my choice and woz, I'm amazed at the amount of people who say it's boring and the LCD is for spectators, the LCD is better for spectators but is valuable if you understand the game (ball locks, HOADC etc). Not the game I play most in my line up but one of the deepest rule sets out there.
Here is an example of ONE of the modes (crystal ball 2x scoring) no hold flippers, weak flippers, reverse flippers, lights off, lights on, then stack this with a multi-ball.........boring? Melt witch, haunted scoring, munchkin modes.......... did you guys even play the game?
I'm not saying it's the greatest game out there, each to there own, can't drag myself away from TWDLE atm. but to say it's boring makes me think maybe it's a bit too hard for some and the negativity towards WOZ is from a lack of experience and understanding. Sure people just wont like it and that's cool but don't bag it just coz it's a bit hard for YOU!
Like I said not my favorite atm but I still enjoy it a lot, opinions are just that.........opinions, it's one of those if you have one local that you can spend some hours on before you decide that would be the best option. If we all liked the same thing the forum would be BORING!

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from Ball_Shine:

RR would be my choice and woz, I'm amazed at the amount of people who say it's boring and the LCD is for spectators, the LCD is better for spectators but is valuable if you understand the game (ball locks, HOADC etc). Not the game I play most in my line up but one of the deepest rule sets out there.
Here is an example of ONE of the modes (crystal ball 2x scoring) no hold flippers, weak flippers, reverse flippers, lights off, lights on, then stack this with a multi-ball.........boring? Melt witch, haunted scoring, munchkin modes.......... did you guys even play the game?
I'm not saying it's the greatest game out there, each to there own, can't drag myself away from TWDLE atm. but to say it's boring makes me think maybe it's a bit too hard for some and the negativity towards WOZ is from a lack of experience and understanding. Sure people just wont like it and that's cool but don't bag it just coz it's a bit hard for YOU!
Like I said not my favorite atm but I still enjoy it a lot, opinions are just that.........opinions, it's one of those if you have one local that you can spend some hours on before you decide that would be the best option. If we all liked the same thing the forum would be BORING!

Deep rule-set still doesn't make it fun, just overly complicates it...No flow and way too much shit going on on the playfield and LCD; so many better ways to spend $8500 IMO.

#212 8 years ago

Personally I think that Full Throttle is a better game....and it's not even close. If you're looking for something a little more "innovative" than Stern.

I've played WOZ on half a dozen different occasions and I've always walked away thinking "meh". I played Full Throttle for about four hours straight and walked away thinking "I want one!"

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just in case there was any doubt
image_(resized).png

I find this very interesting that it is 1# in replay magazine and the WOZ only ranks #19 on the Pinside top 100 games.? Does anyone wish to explain? Thx..

#214 8 years ago

I have both and was a late bloomer to WOZ. What I've found is you need to put some play on the machine set up right and it needs quite a bit for those (including me) to "get" it. It took me a long time to get into it and I wanted to like it from the beginning. It shines as a home machine to me: need to put time on it to actually get somewhere. It felt clunky to me for a long time with vague shots and just didn't seem fluid. After a few good balls and really starting to understand the rules it finally clicked. I hated TZ for a long time and the same feeling as I had to put some time in one set up right with some good games.

It's a love or hate it machine and there's so much going on it can be overwhelming. I urge anyone that hasn't played it at someone's home or location well set up to play several games where you can get some multi balls going on and/or someone to explain some of what is going on. It really takes some play to appreciate it.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I find this very interesting that it is 1# in replay magazine and the WOZ only ranks #19 on the Pinside top 100 games.? Does anyone wish to explain? Thx..

Advertising dollars... $$$ talks.

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've played WOZ on half a dozen different occasions and I've always walked away thinking "meh". I played Full Throttle for about four hours straight and walked away thinking "I want one!"

I have noticed that the games I really liked immediately, often do not last. Whereas games I initially didn't like actually improve as I get better, allowing me to see more of what the game offers.

I know that initially I thought TSPP was kind of lame, until things started to click and I finally started to understand its brilliance. I prefer deep rules for home games. Games like IM are fun to compete on, but I know will bore me at home.

#217 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

The Pinside 100 is a barometer...but ultimately is relatively meaningless. Especially when considering a game that has become as polarizing as WOZ.

You can look at comments in most ANY game thread (read: any game) and you are guaranteed to folks looking to put down a game they've only played a few times...most likely under unideal conditions...or have simply decided they don't like the looks of.

Just imagine how many of those people then click their way through the ratings boards.

Again, barometer, yes...exacting, no.

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I owned both nib. STLE is long gone and WOZ is still here.

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I owned both nib. STLE is long gone and WOZ is still here.

Sorry to hear that...

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I have noticed that the games I really liked immediately, often do not last. Whereas games I initially didn't like actually improve as I get better, allowing me to see more of what the game offers.
I know that initially I thought TSPP was kind of lame, until things started to click and I finally started to understand its brilliance. I prefer deep rules for home games. Games like IM are fun to compete on, but I know will bore me at home.

And I'm pretty much the opposite. I generally like fast high intensity games. I've had IM for almost a year and it's not going anywhere! One of my all time favorites. I generally don't care for long ball time games or games usually associated with terms like 'slow' or 'clunky'.....the one exception being IJ.

#221 8 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Sorry to hear that...

#222 8 years ago

It is amazing WOZ is #19 with all the negative raters on the game. I just got off 5 games that were all totally different and fast and fun. This game requires time to learn. There are many choices how to proceed. It is a great part of my 7 game collection .

#223 8 years ago

WOZ is beautiful, workmanship is incredible, the toys are silly awesome, but even after having the game Nearly 2 years, I just never played it, couldn't get into it. But I simply don't care for deep games.

Yes, I have a TSPP.....The next game on the chopping block! I am more of a bash game person.

#224 8 years ago

2 years with WOZ, and this new code makes it Rock! Its cohesive, fast, and rewarding
with this last revision.

My favorite game? No. My wife, daughter, and extended family...yes.

Its a keeper here, I think forever...if thats possible.
Its just that special in many ways, and the theme works in the house for the family too!

I encourage anyone to try again with an open mind, a handful of games anew, as it stands now.
Its Pure Art and Pure Fun....you might be in for a surprise.

Im as thrilled today as 2 years ago....the polish and shine only got better!

Thanks to all at JJP!

#225 8 years ago

I am stoked with my WOZ. Love pretty much everything about it. But I like complicated code and a world under glass type feel. I respect that it is not for everybody, and that some may not like it. It is not my job to make others like it, simply to answer the OP's question. Is it worth it? Well, yes, to me. Compared to what I just paid for SMVE it is worth it till the cows come home.

#226 8 years ago

WOZ is such a polarizing game. It really is a visually impressive game- likely the most stunning pin ever made. For those who want adrenaline pumping, fast flowing gameplay, this isn't the game for you. Personally, this isn't the style of game I prefer. However, it's all a matter of taste and preference; and for some who prefer this style of gameplay, this could be the cornerstone of their collection. I have a feeling that the Hobbit is going to be just as polarizing.

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Replay is an industry magazine, Pinside is a collector's forum. Very different.

In my experience, WOZ out earns every other pin on location, consistently. There hasn't been a more consistent earner since The Addams Family.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#228 8 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

WOZ is such a polarizing game. It really is a visually impressive game- likely the most stunning pin ever made. For those who want adrenaline pumping, fast flowing gameplay, this isn't the game for you. Personally, this isn't the style of game I prefer. However, it's all a matter of taste and preference; and for some who prefer this style of gameplay, this could be the cornerstone of their collection. I have a feeling that the Hobbit is going to be just as polarizing.

If you haven't felt adrenaline while play WOz, then you haven't dug too deep into one. Believe me, you get that machine cookin' and you'll catch a buzz!

#229 8 years ago

Especially when you get to try and melt that witch I choke every time .

#230 8 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Especially when you get to try and melt that witch I choke every time .

Yes - We that Duh-Duh-Duh Jaws music it's really good and gets the heart pumping.

#231 8 years ago

WOZ is the most supported game rule wise in pinball history. This makes it valuable to operators and the home market as the game continues to change and get better. Looking forward to getting some major play time on 6.00, even though I have played through the entire game already. Wish all games were supported like this. Jack/team do a great job and for their first game, I am not sure what else we could have wanted from them on this. Is it perfect no, but major effort was made to make it the best possible game it could be.

#232 8 years ago

I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and I am still amazed by the coding and toys not to mention the build quality,I don't see it going anywhere,I remember all the hype when jack announced the game on that spooky pod cast and even where I was when parts of the dmd and game were reveled ,my wife remembers when I came into the bedroom and told her about woz and that it has a flying monkey that picks up the Ball, I was hooked and still am.

Masterpiece

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I have had mine for 2 1/2 years and I am still amazed by the coding and toys not to mention the build quality,I don't see it going anywhere,I remember all the hype when jack announced the game on that spooky pod cast and even where I was when parts of the dmd and game were reveled ,my wife remembers when I came into the bedroom and told her about woz and that it has a flying monkey that picks up the Ball, I was hooked and still am.
Masterpiece

We are having a great time with the WOZ very addictive. Great game for are house!

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

If you haven't felt adrenaline while play WOz, then you haven't dug too deep into one. Believe me, you get that machine cookin' and you'll catch a buzz!

You can't really get a grasp of WOZ from a few mediocre games on it. Getting a regular multiball or playing a bit on the mini playfields and seeing flashy lights isn't what it's about. When you've got rescue multiball going with a couple modes, you're playing balls on multiple playfields, the game is going ballistic, your score is climbing by 10,000s... it's more frantic and exciting than anything.

If I'm playing Star Trek or LOTR, I know my individual multiball jackpots don't really matter that much and if I drop out of a multiball I'm going to just get back into it. Lots of my favorite games don't have the "Oh shit, the modes have aligned, the next minute or two of multiball counts more than anything!" excitement of a good WOZ multiball. It's the same thing that makes CIU so great in Metallica, the game builds up to a somewhat short lived, high scoring, exciting moment.

I still can see why people don't like the game, but dismissing it as indecipherable and boring before you've had games like that is just as silly as calling it the best game ever because it's shiny and full of toys without caring what your shots actually do.

#235 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

You can't really get a grasp of WOZ from a few mediocre games on it.

This applies to almost everything DMD and beyond.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

I still can see why people don't like the game, but dismissing it as indecipherable and boring before you've had games like that is just as silly as calling it the best game ever because it's shiny and full of toys without caring what your shots actually do.

I've probably only got about 30 or so games on WoZ, so I'm no expert on it, to support your claim. But I do get the feeling I can pull the plunger, walk away, go grab and beer and still have it bouncing around at the top when I get back. Okay, that is an exaggeration, but that is boring to me, like a luxury car that has no feel for the road. I like evil games that drain fast.

but this is
download_(resized).jpgdownload_(resized).jpg

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

This applies to almost everything DMD and beyond.

I've probably only got about 30 or so games on WoZ, so I'm no expert on it, to support your claim. But I do get the feeling I can pull the plunger, walk away, go grab and beer and still have it bouncing around at the top when I get back. Okay, that is an exaggeration, but that is boring to me, like a luxury car that has no feel for the road. I like evil games that drain fast.
but this is
download_(resized).jpg

Next time you play try this: plunge the ball to the upper flipper for skill shot and nail the witch to start a hurry up only to have the magnet whip the ball down and out the right outlane at lightning speed. If you miss the witch good chance you catch the outside pop bumper and it shoots it DTM like a rocket. Good times, especially when it's after a ball has just been locked and there is no ball save. There are four skill shots available and the only boring way to launch the ball is to the top lane skill shot or all the way around to the pops.

#237 8 years ago

In reality none of this is life or death, and whether or not it is worth the cost is a matter of individual taste. I am pretty new to the Pinside community, and it amazes me how passionate some folks are about all of this....at times myself included. I recently bought a WOZ and being from KS I like the theme....which is funny because growing up there you spend your entire life running away from the notion everyone else in the country has that you all live like Dorothy, have a dog like Toto, and get chased by tornadoes daily. If I had a nickel for every time I said I was from KS and the return comment was....."oh the land of Oz", or "say hello to Dorothy for me"...etc. But as I said, I secretly like the theme, and as I grow older I find it has become more of a heritage for us "flatlanders" (although I would argue Nebraska is WAYYYYYY flatter than KS). The rule set is really deep, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. I love playing the game, but hate the results, and I think this is why a lot of folks get turned off at the start. Quite frankly, the game does a great job of showcasing and magnifying my weaknesses as a player. Just when I get cocky and think I have something mastered, I find out it was only a dream resulting from a bump on the head. I get aggravated and my blood pressure climbs, but I just remind myself it is all in fun. I suspect a lot of folks get frustrated from the start and then give up and move onto something newer and shinier. I like to stick with a challenge, and the appreciation for the game grows as you play. I would bet those the same mindset as me are the ones pumping in the quarters on location. I would imagine this game will keep me plenty challenged for many months, if not years to come.

#238 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

In reality none of this is life or death, and whether or not it is worth the cost is a matter of individual taste. I am pretty new to the Pinside community, and it amazes me how passionate some folks are about all of this....at times myself included.

It is a sick obsession. Welcome.

#239 8 years ago

Yes. I like different and it certainly stands out in a line up of DMD games. But beyond the way it looks, I also like the gameplay.

I really like the risk/reward balance of WOZ and I think Keith did a great job of offering both an "on an adventure" type approach like LOTR as well as a "go for score" approach.

I also like that although the game is deep, I find it fairly easy to understand with the cool display, light and sound effects that reward accomplishments and let you know what's going on.

The playfield multiplier system is pretty intuitive. In multiball, each playfield you have active (ball on it) adds a multiplier to your score. So, 3 playfields going simultaneously = 3x score multiplier. Start a 2x crystal ball at the same time = 3 x 2=6x score multiplier. There's also a Super X insert whose color shows you what the total score multiplier is at every moment.

I find just doing the basics of trying to stack multiballs and keep all the playfields going a real adrenalin rush. But beyond these basics I think there is plenty of room to grow with the game as my pinball skills and understanding of the nuances of the game improve.

#240 8 years ago

I Finally,,Finally melted the Witch!!!! what a rush. If my wife didn't witness it see would have never believed me.. I never though about it but now what.. I know there's more to do. that yellow brick road is still a little puzzling...

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I Finally,,Finally melted the Witch!!!! what a rush. If my wife didn't witness it see would have never believed me.. I never though about it but now what.. I know there's more to do. that yellow brick road is still a little puzzling...

Now get to SOTR, but have smaller goals first like getting each gem individually. And try to consistently get to and melt the witch!

#242 8 years ago

I think it's laughable that someone could ever claim that a pinball machine is "polarizing" unless that person has a polarizing personality to begin with. If I had to bet, I'd wager that those same people find a lot of things in life "polarizing". Things that most people wouldn't find very controversial.

Personally, I've never found a pinball machine to be very polarizing. Sure I like some more than others but never really hated one enough to start a crusade against it.

lol

I think the WOZ is a cool machine. Wish I had enough room and the budget for one. There are plenty of others out there I wouldn't mind having too. There aren't any I can think of that get my panties in a wad to the point that I wish would have never been made.

#243 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I think it's laughable that someone could ever claim that a pinball machine is "polarizing" unless that person has a polarizing personality to begin with. If I had to bet, I'd wager that those same people find a lot of things in life "polarizing". Things that most people wouldn't find very controversial.
Personally, I've never found a pinball machine to be very polarizing. Sure I like some more than others but never really hated one enough to start a crusade against it.
lol
I think the WOZ is a cool machine. Wish I had enough room and the budget for one. There are plenty of others out there I wouldn't mind having too. There aren't any I can think of that get my panties in a wad to the point that I wish would have never been made.

LOL, you haven't been around the WOZ threads much then I guess.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Bingo.

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

lol

You are right, but there are plenty of nut jobs on this forum.

#246 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

You are right, but there are plenty of nut jobs on this forum.

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

IMO, JJP is the polarizing factor, not WOZ. The problems some people have with the company just gets played out in the game forum.

#248 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

IMO, JJP is the polarizing factor, not WOZ. The problems some people have with the company just gets played out in the game forum.

It's a theme that doesn't appeal to a lot of the pinball demographic, has little flow, two single flipper mini playfields, the slow side to side ball motion of a widebody, and 100 inserts are lit so you can't really play if you don't learn at least the basics of the rules.

Some people just want to get on Star Trek, shoot all the flashing colored shots, and have really fast up and down ball action. It's easy for me to see why people wouldn't like WOZ

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

IMO it isn't that simple; day one tons of people were crying aboot the "Gay" theme. As time went on though I agree it's gotten to a JJP swallow or spit thing in the forums.

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

IMO it isn't that simple; day one tons of people were crying aboot the "Gay" theme. As time went on though I agree it's gotten to a JJP swallow or spit thing in the forums.

There are plenty of games that get heat for their theme.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

It's a theme that doesn't appeal to a lot of the pinball demographic, has little flow, two single flipper mini playfields, the slow side to side ball motion of a widebody, and 100 inserts are lit so you can't really play if you don't learn at least the basics of the rules.

There are plenty of games where people criticize gameplay or aspects they don't like.

However, I think WOZ stands alone in the perseverance of the some of the people who voice their criticisms, which leads to this feeling of polarization. I still think this perseverance is due more to problems with JJP than with the game itself.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 91.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
There are 257 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-wizard-of-ozworth-it-yesno/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.