(Topic ID: 217204)

Is The Wizard of Oz really a Top 10 game?

By AFM95

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Nexyss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What would you rank Wizard of Oz today?”

• Top 10 158 votes
    50%
  • Top 20 61 votes
    19%
  • Top 50 98 votes
    31%

(317 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

632f7d110039111ce16181e5050100043eac00d5 (resized).png
Screenshot_20180519-093236 (resized).png
IMG_0277 (resized).JPG
IMG_0273.GIF

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Had one here for three years and I can honestly say that I would not put WOZ in the top 100. TOM, TOTAN and DI are all above WOZ in the Top 100 and I feel the same about them also.

OK so what are the other 97 ?

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

OK so what are the other 97 ?

That would be really easy. Heck I could name 50 EMs that I enjoy playing more and therefore I'd rate above those four.

#53 5 years ago

Owned and sold. I'd consider somewhere in the top ~25.

For me, it became a little too predictable. It's a personal preference, but I did not care for all the play in the upper playfields or the flow of the game. Battling the witch never got old, though. That "mode" is amazing and is one of the best in pinball.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Hi Everyone,
My brother and I had a discussion the other day whether The Wizard of Oz deserved a higher ranking than where it sits today at #20. In our opinion, we both agree that it should. I myself would rate it in the Top 10.
Our thoughts for the "not as high ranking" were due to multiple factors such as a unappealing theme to some, light board issues, mechanical parts breaking after minimal play, trolling reviews of those who never even played the game, etc.
What are your thoughts? Would you still rank the game the same way you did four to five years ago? Does it deserve a better ranking today if you just played it for the first time? Does it deserve Top 10 in your opinion?
I appreciate anyone and everyone chiming in. All opinions welcomed.
**Side Note: I accidentally fired off this post without adding a few more options in the poll. I was going to add Top 100 or outside the Top 100. My apologies.

The question is not to know if woz is a top 10, 20 or whatever, but to know what are the best games for your tastes.
When a pinball fellow says Woz blows MM, that makes me laughing as I do not have the same tastes than him.
For me, woz is not a top 10 but is beautiful and deep. Light show is awesome. But Rules were too deep and difficult to understand for me. I prefer more brutal games with short ball time with shallow or easier rules to understand but challenging to master ( TWD, MM, Met..) and fun to play with the one more game factor. I ended to think that woz was not fun to play.
Play it a lot before buying is the best way to have your own opinion but not always easy to do.

#55 5 years ago

632f7d110039111ce16181e5050100043eac00d5 (resized).png632f7d110039111ce16181e5050100043eac00d5 (resized).png

#56 5 years ago

Great game. Very deep rule set, a lot of great shots and well built. Just plain fun. WOZ is a keeper for me and definitely a top 10 game IMO.

#57 5 years ago

Not to me, not even close to being in my top 20 but as for the pinside ratings? who the hell cares.

#58 5 years ago

I couldn't vote in the poll because their was no choice for it. As a former owner, I can say that it doesn't quite break the top 100.

#59 5 years ago

You have a few odd choices in your top 13 there.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

LoL

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I wont deny it.

#62 5 years ago

As time goes by, it only raises in my personal rankings. The game is incredible in all aspects. Everything from the attainable but challenging mini wizard modes to the crazy hard to get to stuff, it's all quality. Every time you see something new, it's a thrill that few games can even come close to matching. WoZ doesn't just throw generic multiballs at you, it constantly finds new twists to bring to the table.

#63 5 years ago

Love the theme and the machine looks beautiful but I can't say much else positive about the game. Gameplay is really not very good!

#64 5 years ago

You guys find you need a spotter when playing JJP games? So much going on so fast I barely have time to grasp what's being shown on the LCD screen.

The wife & I love WOZ and plan on getting one someday. (I guess we can spot for each other, lol)

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

You guys find you need a spotter when playing JJP games? So much going on so fast I barely have time to grasp what's being shown on the LCD screen.
The wife & I love WOZ and plan on getting one someday. (I guess we can spot for each other, lol)

I just use a quick glance technique. Once you learn where stuff is it's pretty easy to keep up with what's happening on the screen.

#66 5 years ago

WOZ is a fantastic game imo. When I owned I raised the pitch to 7.0, raised flipper strength, and found it played fast brutal and fun. Shots were very satisfying. Rules were outstanding. Tons of stacking, tons of breadth, lots to explore and achieve. If I had to knock the game in anyway, and I really am only nitpicking here; I would say there is an imbalance in wizard mode progression; too much battle the wicked witch, and not enough of the other stuff but settings are adjustable.

#67 5 years ago

Do tell. Expand to us your nay.

#68 5 years ago

All I know is that I wouldn't trade my Alien for a WOZ (Just based on gameplay alone).

#69 5 years ago

Great game. Top 15 for me.
It’s by far the most played pin of my collection at parties.
Deep rules and stunning effects. The lcd monitor was a groundbreaker for pinball.

#70 5 years ago

Not even close to the top 10 IMO. Beautiful pin, but boring as hell. No shot on that game feels particularly satisfying.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Not even close to the top 10 IMO. Beautiful pin, but boring as hell. No shot on that game feels particularly satisfying.

And star wars is better. WOZ is top 20 for sure.

Screenshot_20180519-093236 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180519-093236 (resized).png

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

And star wars is better.

Yes.

#73 5 years ago
#74 5 years ago

Star Wars? Not good.

#75 5 years ago

Star Wars doesn't belong in the same conversation as Wizard of Oz. The two games are miles apart in quality. Not that you can't enjoy Star Wars, but that one has a lot of fatal flaws.

#76 5 years ago

Close to the top 10 for me, but I understand how the game divides people.

Terry.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I just use a quick glance technique. Once you learn where stuff is it's pretty easy to keep up with what's happening on the screen.

Plus if at home you learn the callouts and changes in music well enough so that between that and the insert lights (which are actually pretty well organized for looking like they are all over the place at first glance) you can easily know where you are at any point in time.

I think the only things I look at the screen for during play is a munchkin or haunted mode + timer, my gems collected towards battle the wiked witch (agree it’s one od if not the best modes in pinball) and maybe how many winki guards are standing.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Star Wars doesn't belong in the same conversation as Wizard of Oz. The two games are miles apart in quality. Not that you can't enjoy Star Wars, but that one has a lot of fatal flaws.

I like Star Wars. It's pretty fun but if I were to choose between the two, it's WOZ.

#79 5 years ago

That's for you to decide but I would be hard pressed for me to find anything as exciting as the sequence and melting the witch.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

That's for you to decide but I would be hard pressed for me to find anything as exciting as the sequence and melting the witch.

This is very true.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Close to the top 10 for me, but I understand how the game divides people.
Terry.

Great comment.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Plus if at home you learn the callouts and changes in music well enough so that between that and the insert lights (which are actually pretty well organized for looking like they are all over the place at first glance) you can easily know where you are at any point in time.
I think the only things I look at the screen for during play is a munchkin or haunted mode + timer, my gems collected towards battle the wiked witch (agree it’s one od if not the best modes in pinball) and maybe how many winki guards are standing.

I actually melted the wicked witch for the first time last night. Wow was that satisfying! The shots in that mode are perfectly laid out, especially when the ball drops from the Munchkin Land playfield, falls next to your side flipper for that final hit. Just PERFECT.

I also enjoyed that you get rewarded with a 5-ball multiball afterward.

#83 5 years ago

If you can’t recognize the brilliance of this machine, you might need to revisit everything about it. When the theme was announced, even I scratched my head about it. Not since Pat Lawlor did Twilight Zone, has another pinball machine excessively hit all the marks of greatness in all categories. Some of the games in the top 10 list are masterpieces in their own right but they are very simplistic (MM,AFM,MB). Arguments against WOZ are very weak. One that would have any validity is you might not like the theme. Otherwise,it is a gem of pinball history.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

If you can’t recognize the brilliance of this machine, you might need to revisit everything about it. When the theme was announced, even I scratched my head about it. Not since Pat Lawlor did Twilight Zone, has another pinball machine excessively hit all the marks of greatness in all categories. Some of the games in the top 10 list are masterpieces in their own right but they are very simplistic (MM,AFM,MB). Arguments against WOZ are very weak. One that would have any validity is you might not like the theme. Otherwise,it is a gem of pinball history.

That's a good post...except I don't care for TZ either. I've tried and tried...just don't care for it (or WOZ).

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

That's a good post...except I don't care for TZ either. I've tried and tried...just don't care for it (or WOZ).

Same here. Both are good themes for me, but I just don't care to play the games. I would play WOZ before TZ though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-wizard-of-oz-really-a-top-10-game/page/2?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.