Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DocRotCod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Just wondering is the TZ home rom worth installing?
If so, just wondering why.

#2 9 years ago

I think so it has alot of fixes and extra light shows and some other cool features if you wanna use them.

#3 9 years ago

It adds a pause/mute feature as well if I recall, it's the most updated, so why NOT?

#4 9 years ago

Adds a buy-in high score board which is good.
Has the LITZ cheat if you're into that.

#6 9 years ago

Pluse if you have the third mag it allows you to use it. Granted you did the mods for it.

#7 9 years ago

The only thing that bothers me about the home rom is that there is a bug in the hitchhiker light countdown, where the playfield inserts light with the number of hitchhikers you collected, and the insert lights go off one by one. It's a neat effect, and sometimes it works as intended with the home rom, but sometimes it doesn't and the count starts late, or doesn't start at all. I've thought about switching back to the latest rom before the home rom just for this reason.

#8 9 years ago

I'm not sure my 11 year-old could play TZ without the pause feature.

The LITZ practice feature is nice. I like that you can indeed practice, but not record any high scores you may achieve, while in the practice mode.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The only thing that bothers me about the home rom is that there is a bug in the hitchhiker light countdown, where the playfield inserts light with the number of hitchhikers you collected, and the insert lights go off one by one. It's a neat effect, and sometimes it works as intended with the home rom, but sometimes it doesn't and the count starts late, or doesn't start at all. I've thought about switching back to the latest rom before the home rom just for this reason.

Huh interesting ive never had a issue in over 1000 games with this

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Huh interesting ive never had a issue in over 1000 games with this

LOL, maybe it's just me. I thought this was a known bug. Maybe I should try another home rom.

#11 9 years ago

+1 for the pause/mute feature. That alone is good enough reason to install it....allows you to "freeze" a flipper up (holding the ball) while you get a beer/go to the toilet/answer a phone call etc. etc.

I still cant work out why all new games dont have this as an option.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

+1 for the pause/mute feature. That alone is good enough reason to install it....allows you to "freeze" a flipper up (holding the ball) while you get a beer/go to the toilet/answer a phone call etc. etc.
I still cant work out why all new games dont have this as an option.

There is a setting on Stern pins that allows coin door saver. You open the coin door to 'pause' the game.

#13 9 years ago

YES.

#14 9 years ago

It is worth installing for all the reasons mentioned by the previous Pinsiders

#15 9 years ago

The benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

If someone could fix that hitchhiker countdown doorlights bug it'd be perfect in my opinion.

#16 9 years ago

Definitely worth it if just for the pause feature, has been very useful many times when the missus tries to talk to me during a good game.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

There is a setting on Stern pins that allows coin door saver. You open the coin door to 'pause' the game.

Awesome for curing stuck balls, popped out LEDs, broken rubbers, etc...

1 week later
#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

LOL, maybe it's just me. I thought this was a known bug. Maybe I should try another home rom.

It's not just you. It is a 'known' issue. Happens to me every once in a while, as well..

(Note, though.. if you have more than 64 (I think?) hitchikers, the lights will fininsh their sequence before the countdown finishes, because, well.. the game ran out of lights.)

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

Definitely worth it if just for the pause feature, has been very useful many times when the missus tries to talk to me during a good game.

Sadly, I've actually gotten to work the 'pause' feature into my regular game-playing. Make a long shot (ramp, powerfield, etc) and pause the game, so timers don't run out. Down side is that, occasionally, will lose a ball down the middle.

Also, there's a bug with the "mute & pause" feature - if it's activated during LITZ (i.e., activate it a second before LITZ ends), then when you are reserved your ball, you will have access to all your flippers - but normal timers will remain paused. (Example: Start Clock Millions, and the clock will remain on 12 o'clock indefinately.) It'll stay this way until either you drain, or start Powerball Multiball.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

It's not just you. It is a 'known' issue. Happens to me every once in a while, as well..

Thanks for the confirmation!

#22 9 years ago

I have the home ROM in mine and like it just fine. Bugs aside, they aren't normally an issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 132.00
$ 14.95
$ 12.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-tz-home-rom-worth-installing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.