(Topic ID: 263923)

Is The Stock Market Crash Having An Affect On Your New Game Purchases?

By o-din

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    0A799DBF-C0E0-4DB9-886C-CE9473730C93 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Never in my life have I seen such uncertain times as I am today. Coronavirus fears shutting the world down, and the economy taking a dive at the same time. In a few months after the virus has run it's course, if it does, things may never be the same, at least for some time.

I don't live and die by the stock market, but I know there are many that do. I put a down payment on a Rick and Morty, and plan on completing the purchase if and when it ever gets done.

Just wondering how this world in turmoil is affecting other's decisions to continue buying NIB pinball machines at the moment. May add a poll after some responses.

#2 4 years ago

Yes and no. Yes I am not buying any games right now. No I am not buying any games right now.

#3 4 years ago

I'm not wealthy, but that is where my money is. I had to retire early due to health issues, so yes, the market has, and continues to affect me. Unfortunately, I can't do anything with it until I'm 59 1/2. Otherwise I'd move it elsewhere for at least the short term. I've lost a big chunk of what little I had. Sucks!

As far as pins go, no more until this gets turned around. Other than repair and restore parts for current machines, I'm done for now.

#4 4 years ago

I try to be Mr. Positivity around here, but I think this is going to have a very negative effect on the pinball industry as a whole. I'm going through with my first NIB pinball purchase (Rick and Morty) but have no plans for any new pins... I never did. However, I believe the pinball secondary market will be alive and well through all of this, and people will just trade pins instead of buying NIB for a while. I don't see people in a rush to cash out their collection based off of the market right now. I could see this sharp economic downturn killing off 1 or more manufacturers. Timing SUCKS for Deeproot. Do I think it will completely kill the industry? No. But how many of these companies could survive a 50% cut in orders for 6 months. How many of these companies can get 100% of the parts they need for new machines right now? Pinball is alive and well and will survive this... but will American Pinball, Jersey Jack, Spooky, and Stern? I think not.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'm going through with my first NIB pinball purchase (Rick and Morty) but have no plans for any new pins... I never did.

Yeah sure thing champ, neither did any of us.

#6 4 years ago

*effect

#7 4 years ago

I'm going to be a lot more careful what I pay for a game, not mostly a NIB buyer anyway.

#8 4 years ago

Actually, no but the manufactures price fixing with the dealers, taxes and shipping has me on the sidelines, oh and toss in NIB immediate depreciation and questionable QC as well.

#9 4 years ago

Nope, not a chance. I buy all my games with disposable income. Not income I have vested for retirement, college funds, rainy day savings, etc. To me, using anything other than "fun" money for pinball machines feel irresponsible. My fun money generally comes from my EOY bonus (when I get one) and money put aside every month for the purpose of entertainment.

If I want something for fun that I can't afford that way, I sell something to help pay for it. Thus the main reason why I sold two games recently.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Nope, not a chance. I buy all my games with disposable income.

What new in box games are you planning on buying over the next few months?

#11 4 years ago

Well somebody told us Wall Street fell, But we were so poor that we couldn't tell...

#12 4 years ago

Nope, all my cash is tied up in the speculation market of pinball machines.

#13 4 years ago

I wanted to buy a Super Chexx Pro - new. That is officially on hold for now. I hope to be able to seriously consider getting it again in a few months. I literally have had my finger hovering over the "buy" button for weeks now. I'm glad I waited.

I'm in a new job- and was already told there are going to be layoffs. Sigh.

#14 4 years ago
    0A799DBF-C0E0-4DB9-886C-CE9473730C93 (resized).jpeg0A799DBF-C0E0-4DB9-886C-CE9473730C93 (resized).jpeg
    #15 4 years ago

Don't know about NIB or used pinball machines, but in a month or two there are bound to be plenty of good deals on other items or services.

Last crash, I had my ceilings scraped and redone for half the price they would normally charge.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What new in box games are you planning on buying over the next few months?

I bought a DP Prem and JP Prem. Got my DP Prem about a month ago and loving it. My JP Prem wont come till April though

#17 4 years ago

#18 4 years ago

Of course this is going to effect pinball companies.

Most people are going to feel poorer and then it suddenly doesn't seem a great idea to buy a shiny toy at $8000.

#19 4 years ago

Yes / no / kind of. I have a new game on the way which I haven't paid for yet. Since I pay for this game in USD instead of the local currency, the price of the game has gone up about 10% in just the last week since the Norwegian kroner (NOK) has tanked. Ouch.

#20 4 years ago

I thought about selling my collection to put more money in the market. I've been waiting for the market to tank so I could put my savings in some ETFs. If the SP500 hits 3200 by the end of the year, my 40k collection in the market could be worth 53k.

#21 4 years ago

The playfield issues are still the biggest deterrent for me. If I could get a guarantee that there would be no issues, I would have bought a Deadpool and JP Pro yesterday. These are two of the best games to have come out in years!

#22 4 years ago

The crash? No. But crappy themes, piss poor QC and absurdly high prices have.

#23 4 years ago

Im out. Laid off for 7 weeks. No more pins in 2020 for me.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Im out. Laid off for 7 weeks. No more pins in 2020 for me.

I'm sorry my friend.

LTG : )

#25 4 years ago

No, but Stern and JJP”s quality issues are keeping me away.
    However, I’ve invested more in the market over the last 14 days than I had in the past year. The buying opportunities have been incredible, but that window won’t be open forever.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry my friend.
    LTG : )

Im in entertainment and same union as Disneyland Techs. I also do many Disney Events. All shut down. I keep hearing April 1, ...ha ha. It's actually May 1 tor many of us.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

However, I’ve invested more in the market over the last 14 days than I had in the past year. The buying opportunities have been incredible, but that window won’t be open forever.

Hope that works out for you.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hope that works out for you.

It already has and, hopefully, will continue to do so.
    Since I’ve closed my offices in NJ and Manhattan and my children are off from school, we’ll be fishing the Atlantic tomorrow. Taking a break from the panic and enjoying some family time.

#29 4 years ago

The whole country minus essential employees is about to get laid off.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Well somebody told us Wall Street fell, But we were so poor that we couldn't tell...

Cotton was short and the weeds were tall, but Mister Roosevelt was gonna save us all...

7 months later
    #31 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In a few months after the virus has run it's course

Well, I missed that by at least a few months, perhaps even years, but the stock market is once again getting slammed today as cases surge in Europe and the USA. It's almost been surreal how the markets have rebounded since the initial drop at the beginning of the pandemic with so many businesses still closed and people out of work.

Could this be the beginning of of a true free fall, the likes of which we haven't seen since 2008 or even worse? Or will we know even more next week?

#32 3 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-stock-market-crash-having-an-affect-on-your-new-game-puchases?hl=hayrebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.