(Topic ID: 70866)

Is the ST LE Bashing Simply P@##& Envy? Or Something Else?

By Aussiepinwiz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-5-440.jpeg
images-5-428.jpeg
Unknown-1-667.jpeg
images-5-250.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Unknown.jpeg
0.jpg
Bumper 001.jpg
images-7-753.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aussiepinwiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Enough already!

There's been so much whining and criticism over the last 2 months on Pinside about Start Trek LE.

Is it just pinball envy from those who can't afford one but really want one? Or something else?

This is a very expensive hobby. Accept it and get over it.

OK, so there's no LCD. Who said there would be one?
OK, so it's a few weeks late. Hello? Is that the end of the world?
OK, so its star field projector doesn't beam the player up to the Enterprise!
Some people need to take a deep breathe and get a life!
OK, so the Stern marketing department could do better.
They got our attention didn't they?

The overwhelming majority of people who have played the Pro think it's a great game.
I thought the flow was amazingly good.
The LE will almost certainly be a great game.

Isn't pinball more about the thrill of the game play and not the unrealistic expectations about the gimmicks?

images-7-753.jpegimages-7-753.jpeg
1 week later
#94 10 years ago

Anyone else game to bash ST LE after the last week of reports from new owners?

Unknown.jpegUnknown.jpeg
#142 10 years ago

So, after 2 weeks of posts, and pretty much nothing but positive to glowing reviews in other threads ever since new owners plugged them in from a week ago, the STLE bashing was basically ... PRICE envy?

images-5-250.jpegimages-5-250.jpeg
#146 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Such a drama queen... people weren't "envious" of the LE - they "bashed" it because of the 3 grand markup from the pro. Real simple.
The pro got good reviews so the only issue was if the huge markup was worth it - to some it was... others not so much.
If I was in the market I'd spend 5k because I know after a month it will get less and less game time and I'm not the biggest fan of the last few movies. But I wouldn't be "envious" of the true trekkie that bought the LE... I'd be happy for them.
But critiques about the extra features and if they are worth the 3k are justifiable newsgroup banter and don't equate with envy - but I'm sure you know this despite your breathless title for the thread

Hey that's an interesting spin on the history of the STLE bashing on Pinside over the last few months!

You say 'Real simple'? Well only if what you assert was true. But it's not quite.

If you follow other threads (especially http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-trek-1) you will note:
1. ST bashing began minutes after Stern confirmed/announced ST would be their next pin. The news was dropped while ST was the most anticipated machine in recent years, with many enthusiasts "pre-ordering" on speculation about its release, despite Stern warning enthusiasts not to do so.
2. Prices were announced at the same time
3. ST bashing began well before the first Pro was played by enthusiasts (and, by the way, I was one of the first in the world to play the Pro and review it)
4. Early ST bashing INCLUDED the Pro
5. ST bashing was originally about two things in particular: there being no LCD screen and the price increase
6. ST bashing subsided somewhat after reviews for the Pro came in
7. ST bashing declined to a trickle last week after reviews for the LE started to come in last week
8. The only real criticism remaining on Pinside threads is ... the price! Hence the conclusion of "price envy"

Sometimes, despite having more than enough toys, when a newer more expensive toy arrives, some people try to cut down that new toy, which they would ideally like to have, especially when they can't afford to buy it. It's been happening for millennia. Nothing new there.

Unknown-1-667.jpegUnknown-1-667.jpeg
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you wait until January when they announce the next greatest ever then you should be able to get it a whole lot cheaper and won't have to grab your ankles....

Good advice. Provided there's many left!

But then again, if there are some left, and steadily selling when the next greatest ever machine is announced, the new pinnie is unlikely to be listed at a cheaper price than ST, so I wouldn't be banking on a massive discount early in 2014.

images-5-428.jpegimages-5-428.jpeg
#153 10 years ago

I'm not reading much criticism of the ST LE on Pinside lately.

The critics seemed to have lost their voice!
Anyone else notice?

Any speculation on what they will do to sales?

images-5-440.jpegimages-5-440.jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aussiepinwiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-st-le-bashing-simply-p-envy-or-something-else?tu=aussiepinwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.