(Topic ID: 21319)

Is the Shadow magnet supposed to be adjustable?

By dannunz

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0889.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Every once and a while my shadow lock goes a little crazy. When in test mode I tried to adjust the magnet and either way i turned it in or out it does not engage the ball. It has to be adjusted in a certain spot to work. One half turn one way or the other and it starts to fail. I thought when you brought it closer to the pf it was supposed to make it stronger correct? Could I have a weak magnet? Thanks guys.

#2 11 years ago

The magnet is adjustable via how you describe above. It sounds like you have another problem that is causing intermittent trouble with the magnet lock. I am thinking either dirty optos in the ball trough or a problem with the battlefield stand up target. My Shadow had the diode reversed on the battlefield stand up target. I remember reading how someone else had the same issue.

Just my 2 cents,

Tom

#3 11 years ago

In test is does come up with stand up target problem flashing at times. How do I know which way the diode needs to go?

#4 11 years ago

White to Unbanded Diode End
Green to Banded Diode End

This should be the same for (I'm pretty sure) all switches

#6 11 years ago

IMG_0889.JPGIMG_0889.JPG

#7 11 years ago

I swiched the wires and now am getting error ground short row 1in is stuck closed. What does this mean?

#8 11 years ago

Make sure that the wires are not making contact with the metal tab that holds them. The wires should be going to the switch lugs and not making any other contact.

#9 11 years ago

You also need to pay special attention to the silver band on the diode. If that is backwards, then that will also cause your ground short.

#10 11 years ago

i dis connected that switch and still getting the error i may have f something up

#11 11 years ago

Make sure that when you were switching wires, you did not bump the diode on the adjacent Wall Target, flattening it into the lugs of the switch. The switch you are working on is #55. #51 is the Wall Target (Brick Wall, red target) and it is on Row #1. So...disconnecting the switch on row 5 would not do anything on a row 1 short.

#12 11 years ago

For clarity, Switch Number 55 is the yellow drop target that leads to the battlefield VUK (center picture above). Switch number 51 is the Red Brick Wall drop target (row 1 switch, bottom to the right in picture).

#13 11 years ago

If you have not done so already, you should probably download the manual (if you don't have one).

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2528

About midway down the page.

#14 11 years ago

Its saying i have a short on all rows.

#15 11 years ago

When you look at the switch matrix chart, it is divided into rows and columns. Rows are side to side and columns are up & down. If you have a row out, the you likely have a short somewhere on that row. Given Row 1 is: Gun Trigger, Slam Tilt, Left Ramp Enter (opto), Trough 1 (opto), Wall Target Down (immediately adjacent to switch 55), Left Slingshot, Mini Left Standup #1, Mini Right Standup #4. Since Row 1 is shorting, and there are no other nearby switches on Row 1 other than the Wall Target Down, I would look at the Wall Target Down for metal to metal contact. I suspect you flatten the diode into the center lug or metal tab that is holding it down.

#16 11 years ago

There is no metal to metal contact. Even when i un plug that switch i still get the same error. All switches are stuck closed except one row on bottom and one collum on rt.

#17 11 years ago

The Switch Matrix is plugged into the CPU at J207 & J209. The dedicated column switches are J205 (cabinet & test button switches). Unplug J207 & J209 and see if the short goes away. If it does not go away, then the short is on the CPU, if it does, the short is on the playfield.

I would recommend posting a "Tech" post in the Technical Help Section of this forum. You are currently in the general discussion area.

Tom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-shadow-magnet-supposed-to-be-adjustable and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.