(Topic ID: 244094)

Is the Rottendog Williams 11A replacement MPU a dog?

By swampwiz

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by swampwiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

A few years ago, I got around to trying to get my Fire! (11A) working, and with the MPU & display board looking a bit corroded, I decided to get new manufactured boards - even with those, I couldn't get it working. Perhaps once I got a game to start but there was no sound, and then was a loud white noise, and then I starting getting strange switch test readings, and then trying to use the self-test button to do stuff, nothing would happen. The situation seemed hopeless. With about a full-time week invested in that and other things on that, I decided to give up on that and work on other stuff that would give me a better return on invested time. When most of my other stuff done, the next time I have the free time, I will work again on Fire! The MPU board is Rottendog, I believe the MPU9211 (EDIT, maybe it's the MPU011A), along with the special add-on board for Fire!

So doing research on what I should do (right now, it looks like I will get the Siegecraft switch tester & Diagnostic Switch input, which AIUI will allow me to bypass the test switches (i.e., on the door). I am also considering getting a new test switch assembly just to remove that as an unknown (anywhere to get that?). I guess I will do a check of the voltages coming off the power board as well. I had also read to check on the grounding too.

But doing research here, I am wondering if the <whatever one I have> replacement board from Rottendog is just a dog, and I should consider it spilled milk and move on to another board. I have had another bad experience with Rottendog, that being a Bally power board that blew out when I first hooked it up, making me wonder if I had done something wrong (I did a complete rewiring of the wires going to that, so it was a concern), and didn't want to try any of my other Bally pins (I have 3, all of the earliest system) until I had gotten the first one fixed. Fortunately, after replacing the 3 circuit elements for the particular circuit that blew on that, it worked, and in due time I got all 3 Ballys up & running - but I had read that Rottendog had put in inferior components on some of those boards.

I understand that there is a new Rottendog board, and I wondering if I should give up on the old one and work with that board. Of course, I could still do the checks on the power board, and see if that Siegecraft stuff shows me that my Rottendog MPU board is OK, but I wonder if I should put in the time on this dog? And will this new board not be a dog? I don't like throwing money down a rabbit hole! And sometimes I don't have the time to diligently check out a board quickly when there is so much going haywire, thereby losing whatever warranty benefit I might have.

Is there a used market for these Rottendog MPUs? Perhaps someone one who knows how to fix them may want to this MPU board at a "scratch & dent" price. As for myself, I am a "plug & play" buy, especially on something I can't isolate (I can fix a transistor on a lamp driver board, or like I had done on that Rottendog Bally power supply, but I don't want to get into messing with replacing ICs).

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

A few years ago, I got around to trying to get my Fire! (11A) working, and with the MPU &amp; display board looking a bit corroded, I decided to get new manufactured boards - even with those, I couldn't get it working. Perhaps once I got a game to start but there was no sound, and then was a loud white noise, and then I starting getting strange switch test readings, and then trying to use the self-test button to do stuff, nothing would happen. The situation seemed hopeless. With about a full-time week invested in that and other things on that, I decided to give up on that and work on other stuff that would give me a better return on invested time. When most of my other stuff done, the next time I have the free time, I will work again on Fire! The MPU board is Rottendog, I believe the MPU9211, along with the special add-on board for Fire!
    So doing research on what I should do (right now, it looks like I will get the Siegecraft switch tester &amp; Diagnostic Switch input, which AIUI will allow me to bypass the test switches (i.e., on the door). I am also considering getting a new test switch assembly just to remove that as an unknown (anywhere to get that?). I guess I will do a check of the voltages coming off the power board as well. I had also read to check on the grounding too.
    But doing research here, I am wondering if the &lt;whatever one I have&gt; replacement board from Rottendog is just a dog, and I should consider it spilled milk and move on to another board, hopefully from a different manufacturer. I have had another bad experience with Rottendog, that being a Bally power board that blew out when I first hooked it up, making me wonder if I had done something wrong (I did a complete rewiring of the wires going to that, so it was a concern), and didn't want to try any of my other Bally pins (I have 3, all of the earliest system) until I had gotten the first one fixed. Fortunately, after replacing the 3 circuit elements for the particular circuit that blew on that, it worked, and in due time I got all 3 Ballys up &amp; running - but I had read that Rottendog had put in inferior components on some of those boards.
    I understand that there is a new Rottendog board, and I wondering if I should give up on the old one and work with that board. Of course, I could still do the checks on the power board, and see if that Siegecraft stuff shows me that my Rottendog MPU board is OK, but I wonder if I should put in the time on this dog? And will this new board not be a dog? I don't like throwing money down a rabbit hole!
    Is there a used market for these Rottendog MPUs? Perhaps someone one who knows how to fix them may want to buy this MPU board at a "scratch &amp; dent" price. As for myself, I am a "plug &amp; play" buy, especially on something I can't isolate (I can fix a transistor on a lamp driver board, or like I had done on that Rottendog Bally power supply, but I don't want to get into messing with replacing ICs).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-rottendog-williams-11a-replacement-mpu-a-dog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.