(Topic ID: 199064)

Is the release Star Wars code at an acceptable level in your opinion?

By _xizor

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dnapac
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is the release Star Wars code at an acceptable level in your opinion?”

• Yes 24 votes
    30%
  • No, but I expect code to take some time to be refined to an acceptable level 26 votes
    33%
  • No, it is at an unacceptable level and should have been more refined on release 30 votes
    38%

(80 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0656 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Hopefully a straightforward question.

I happened to receive a Dialed In, Multimorphic P3 and a Star Wars LE all within a short period of time. It seems like there are a number of pinsiders who buy new machines regularly (or constantly) and can provide some good feedback. Personally, when comparing the release code available for each machine I do feel like Star Wars is lacking.
Do you agree it is lacking or is it expected part of any new release?

#2 1 year ago

Correct me if I'm wrong...isn't Lightsaber Duel still missing?

If so, then it's not acceptable.

#3 1 year ago

I think code .89 is a good start. I fully expect that the next release will resolve some of the issues, but I have a blast playing the game with the code as-is. If Stern abandons the code, I'll be highly disappointed, but I think this is too big of a theme to do this.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from ejacques:

Correct me if I'm wrong...isn't Lightsaber Duel still missing?
If so, then it's not acceptable.

Yes, but what if they pull a Ghostbusters and don't put in the final wizard mode?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

If Stern abandons the code, I'll be highly disappointed, but I think this is too big of a theme to do this.

No multi-thousand dollar game is too small to abandon.

#6 1 year ago

If only I was good enough to hit a final wizard mode!

Quoted from jonesjb:

Yes, but what if they pull a Ghostbusters and don't put in the final wizard mode?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I think code .89 is a good start. I fully expect that the next release will resolve some of the issues, but I have a blast playing the game with the code as-is. If Stern abandons the code, I'll be highly disappointed, but I think this is too big of a theme to do this.

What he said.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

No multi-thousand dollar game is too small to abandon.

I know, but I still have a blast playing it at this release...if Stern abandons SW, they are just punching themselves in the face again...more self inflicted black eyes...it would be a shame.

#9 1 year ago

The game is brutally hard! I haven’t seen half the code yet. It’s absokuteky fun. I love how the modes aren’t timed; probably my favorite element of this game over Star Trek.

#10 1 year ago

I don't currently own a Stern game but I don't think I'd be one to jump on a NIB lately. Doesn't seem like finishing code is of high priority to them. I feel bad for those that overpaid for BM66 and have only seen small updates

#11 1 year ago

It has a couple issues that need fixing, and a couple missing modes (lightsaber duel and video mode.)

It’s very playable as is but definitely not done.

#12 1 year ago

It's not even acceptable to Stern - that is why it's still numbered as beta code. Think about it, they could number it 1.0 even just for marketing sake but even they consider it beta. Only in this industry

#13 1 year ago

Its allready a blast to play, and it will only get better from this point on.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from xizor:

Hopefully a straightforward question.
I happened to receive a Dialed In, Multimorphic P3 and a Star Wars LE all within a short period of time. It seems like there are a number of pinsiders who buy new machines regularly (or constantly) and can provide some good feedback. Personally, when comparing the release code available for each machine I do feel like Star Wars is lacking.
Do you agree it is lacking or is it expected part of any new release?

I see your point . However the code issue has been around for years and it sucks as a pinball enthusiast. I will say that comparing it to JJP Dialed In and Multimorphic P3 is hard . I played Multimorphic P3 proto 5.5 years ago at a trade show . Lodes more time to develop . JJP Dialed In much more time to develop . I think STERN SW .87 which is all I have played on location is a great start and it is better much better than other STERN new releases of the past. Yes it is lacking if you are very good player and I mean good. The SW code is fun as a whole from STERN for most players. If you asked about (Batman 66) or (Cactus Canyon) Pinball Machine (Bally, 1998) I would say (NO). And yes as a 23 year collector this trend in the pinball industry and also in the billion dollar pc/and console industry is to be expected. It does not mean it is acceptable however. I am only referring to your STAR WARS quarry . Lets hope STERN as the biggest offender will finish SW 100%.

#15 1 year ago

SW is a lot of fun and code is ok, but I expected more horrific mods like this misplaced prequel one at this point.

IMG_0656 (resized).JPG

#16 1 year ago

No, I think games should be releases with a 1.0 code and then more features added after. Video Mode and Lightsaber duel missing is a joke.

#17 1 year ago

Based on the votes so far there is at least some contention that justifies my thoughts... here is to hoping we get a code release soon!

#18 1 year ago

Star Wars code is fine for initial release -and will continue to get better and better.

#19 1 year ago

I'm enjoying the game right now, it needs the missing modes but otherwise its quite fun as is, I don't keep games for very long, doubtful I'll see final code on this pin, first time around anyway.

#20 1 year ago

I think the star wars code is great so far. I wouldn't be worried about Stern abandoning this one. It's a universally loved theme and will sell well. People complain about the game being released with pre 1.0 code but I prefer it this way. Get the game into the hands of the collectors and let them talk about the code. I like to think Stern reads these boards to get ideas to implement into future updates.

I admit I got caught up in the code anger over Kiss, but when I play the game now I realize it was very petty. The code on that game is actually great and it's a fun shooter. I set my expectations based upon the comments of the posters on this site vs making a objective judgement. No game will be 100% complete in the eyes of all. Metallica, AC/DC, TWD are all phenomenal games with great fun layouts and code and people still bitch up a storm that they're incomplete.

At the end of the day, you'll never know if a game will end up finished or not. But Hey - it's just pinball and really doesn't matter. Buy it, play it, love it, hate it, sell it.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

People complain about the game being released with pre 1.0 code but I prefer it this way.

One thing for sure is that this is exactly the kind of attitude that is shaping the industry these days. A few more years and they'll be sending out whitewoods to you.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from spinal:

One thing for sure is that this is exactly the kind of attitude that is shaping the industry these days. A few more years and they'll be sending out whitewoods to you.

I'm sorry you don't like the code. I vote with my dollars, I suggest you do also. I'll buy now and take the risk and play the game and you can wait until it's finished. Either way both of us are happy.To me the feeling of getting new code and installing it is like opening a brand new game. I don't think I'm alone in enjoying that experience. It's fun to figure out what's changed. I hope I don't get to lose that anytime soon.

2 months later
#23 1 year ago

Current 0.93 is on a acceptable level but where's the promised update?

Saw many updates for BM66 (3 in a row), TWD and GotG in the last few days so it feels like the STERN software development teams are working hard these days.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from the_one:

Soon. In testing now.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from the_one:

its amazing right now and the fact that it will get even better is exiting to say the least.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from the_one:

Gary will give to us just before Christmas! Have patience little child.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Gary will give to us just before Christmas! Have patience little child.

Supposedly we're getting the code update before "The Last Jedi" hits the theaters, which is literally 1 week from today!

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from japespin:

Supposedly we're getting the code update before "The Last Jedi" hits the theaters, which is literally 1 week from today!

Sounds like a realistic expectation. Read me file I’ve seen looks promising too. Haven’t played it yet, but should make a great game even better.

#29 1 year ago

The code at release was fine for a start, but it definitely was lacking. They've been updating at a decent rate. The node board killing revision was a bummer.

I think the code right now is plenty fine to sell a game. I don't like the code, but it's at a good level of "done" for how long the game has been out and 1.0 doesn't seem to be too far away.

#30 1 year ago

The code is pretty close in my view.

Changes I'd like to see:

- Fix the TIE fighter, it should always bump the counter when I hit it.
- Fix the Hoth shot kickback issue.
- Reduce the power to the mystery scoop by default.

#31 1 year ago

Jeez.....
How many of you have reached any of the node multi balls with the glass on?
How many scores in the billions?
This is a tough pin.

I've been playing our premium for a month now (200 plays) and I'm no where close to nit picking the game play.

Lighten up and play more pinball! It's a game. Have fun!!

#32 1 year ago

This is definitely a fun pin! That is all...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
Machine - For Sale
Salem, NH
$ 92.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Machine - For Sale
Orange Park, FL
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
West Unity , OH
$ 76.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside