(Topic ID: 128707)

Is the Pre-order/Prepay Model FINALLY Dead?

By lowepg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Ginger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is Prepay still viable in the pinball community?”

• Yes 65 votes
    41%
  • No 59 votes
    38%
  • Maybe 20 votes
    13%
  • Absolutely not, no way, never..... ok, unless its my fantasy/grail title... 13 votes
    8%

(157 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball.jpg
ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg
th.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

You all know the sordid history here:

SkitB: Failed. hundreds of thousands of $$$$ unaccounted for.
Jpop: Failed. Million+ $$$$ potentially pissed away.
JJP/Bumper: 79 Aussies screwed by a rogue distro, only as fraction made whole. (btw, kudos to JJP for doing so)
DP: Philgate, etc.

Did I miss any?

All these are either directly or indirectly a result of paying for stuff (either fully or substantially) that didn't exist.

Are we done yet?

Add in other potential issues (looming JJP lawsuit.. NOTE- still just allegations, but serious nonetheless) and it seems like the pinball community might have had its fill of this crowdfunding model.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

After every meltdown, a thread like this appears.
Then the next shiny new bauble surfaces and everyone ogles it and throws piles of money at it, and completely forgets what happened the last time.
Rinse, repeat.

Maybe....

But to be fair, weren't several of these going on at the same time?

What I mean to say is, its not like they all happened in series. I think many people were invested in several of these games before the dominoes started to fall?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

those with the morals that we were all brought up with (machines, mods, add-ons, etc...) will continue to develop on their own dime and offer up the goods only and only when they are ready for market, taking no money until the finished product is complete and ready to ship.

this.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from AlbanyTim:

I know this is not a scientific poll and it is merely a means to start a discussion, but by creating two "no" options and one "yes" option, you are splitting the "no" votes and virtually guaranteeing that "yes" will have the most responses in a close race.
Source: I live in a hyper-political city and organizations do this all the time.

Wait....not scientific poll?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

wtf.

Next you're going to try to tell me the pin ratings here aren't valid!!?!?!?!?!?

The fourth choice was intended to be a tongue-in-cheek poke at the people who are NORMALLY sane, but lose their shit and all semblance of common sense when their dream pin is involved....

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...I prepaid you for the game I bought. Had to wait a whole week to get it. So I guess the model is still alive and well.

Sucker.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

There is only one company that would fetch my money in a pre-order scenario (meaning, game announced, but not completely designed, not in production):
Stern.

Lawlor's supposed game is all over my radar and would love to see it shown in final physical form this summer (that might get my pre-order $$). I think bringing game #3 to the public in the same form as Stern typically does (announce...two weeks later, show....1 month later, begin shipping) would make them jump way up in my realm of trust with pre-order money.

Agreed.

I really didn't consider ordering from Stern in the same universe as the other pre-order transactions when creating the poll here.

The point is, with Stern, when you order, your pin will likely be delivered FAR before your basic credit card protection would run out- so you have literally ZERO risk.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

This survey is flawed. I voted yes to the topic but it should have been no to the question. The topic and the question contradict each other.

I'm not worried, I think most would be smart enough to read the question before answering

#68 8 years ago

Poll surprisingly even.

PT Barnum would be proud....

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You do realize that people could vote "no" in the poll even if they have zero intent of ever pre-ordering a pin, right?

Well, yah.... Thats how every opinion poll here works, though.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I was referring to your statement about PD Barnum. It doesn't really apply since the poll doesn't ask people if they will pre-order a pin. It asks if "pre-pay is still viable." Technically you could have every single person who voted that prepay is not dead be people who would never preorder a pin under any circumstances, but they think *other* people will.
Also, I noticed that your poll question is all f'ed up, because the title question is the complete opposite of the poll question.
I bet half the people who voted didn't realize which way they were actually voting.
I.e., "Is the pre-order/prepay model finally dead?" is very different than "Is prepay still viable in the pinball community?"
I'd vote yes to one of those questions and no to the other.

Ah, I misunderstood your meaning there.

#1. You're right. However, I think fewer people would admit to preordering again....still, I find it hard to believe people think OTHERS will continue to blindly preorder pins.
#2. Yeah I reversed the question from the topic. Interestingly, the results are nearly split evenly, so it probably doesn't matter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 210.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

14,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pre-orderprepay-model-finally-dead?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.