(Topic ID: 128707)

Is the Pre-order/Prepay Model FINALLY Dead?

By lowepg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Ginger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is Prepay still viable in the pinball community?”

• Yes 65 votes
    41%
  • No 59 votes
    38%
  • Maybe 20 votes
    13%
  • Absolutely not, no way, never..... ok, unless its my fantasy/grail title... 13 votes
    8%

(157 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball.jpg
ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg
th.jpeg
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

After every meltdown, a thread like this appears.
Then the next shiny new bauble surfaces and everyone ogles it and throws piles of money at it, and completely forgets what happened the last time.
Rinse, repeat.

totally agree.

#52 8 years ago

There is only one company that would fetch my money in a pre-order scenario (meaning, game announced, but not completely designed, not in production):

Stern.

Stern has a great track record for delivering the physical product. They are a legit manufacturing company with a history in the industry.

Spooky is close to making that list. I believe that they have their priorities and business in check... They delivered on AMH. Would like to see how they finish shipping AMH and what their #2 announcement/plan looks like.

Jersey Jack...possibly...although I bought my WOZ NIB late last fall. I personally think WOZ is the best game I've ever played, it's a master piece IMO. But, JJP's constant stumbles with TH make me pause and introduces too many questions. Lawlor's supposed game is all over my radar and would love to see it shown in final physical form this summer (that might get my pre-order $$). I think bringing game #3 to the public in the same form as Stern typically does (announce...two weeks later, show....1 month later, begin shipping) would make them jump way up in my realm of trust with pre-order money.

Everyone else? Sorry. You wouldn't have a chance of seeing a single penny of my hard earned cash until you have reliably built games shipping. There's just too much at stake to throw thousands of dollars at something that may or may not ever exist.

Just my 2 cents

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

There is only one company that would fetch my money in a pre-order scenario (meaning, game announced, but not completely designed, not in production):
Stern.

Lawlor's supposed game is all over my radar and would love to see it shown in final physical form this summer (that might get my pre-order $$). I think bringing game #3 to the public in the same form as Stern typically does (announce...two weeks later, show....1 month later, begin shipping) would make them jump way up in my realm of trust with pre-order money.

Agreed.

I really didn't consider ordering from Stern in the same universe as the other pre-order transactions when creating the poll here.

The point is, with Stern, when you order, your pin will likely be delivered FAR before your basic credit card protection would run out- so you have literally ZERO risk.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

It has a lot to do with it if its a rebutable company, I don't who the hell Bumper Amusements are and that name alone isn't saying much but The Playdium store whom I deal with in Toronto there is no chance of losing you deposit or full paid pre-order. I know not everyone has a secure option, thankfully I do, at least with Stern and JJP and I'm hoping they get Heighway distribution for Canada.

Bumper was an Australian Distributor for JJP that never passed the money over to JJP and stole it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bumper-action-amusements-pty-ltd-in-liquidation

Quoted from Hazoff:

I
I will go through a local distributer but never will I send money direct again, I'll put the minimum deposit down on JJP #3 when announced but at least I know I can get that back 100%.

I guess I'm still confused how anyone could not trust a manufacturer with their money but would trust a middle man who is passing the money over to said manufacturer? Do you really think any distributor is going to eat the full cost of entire machines and refund you out of their own pocket if a manufacturer goes belly up? I would think if you didn't feel comfortable with the manufacturer, then don't by the game.

#55 8 years ago

Think of your dream pinball theme. It costs $8,000.
Ok, now imagine a company announces that theme as it's next title. There are zero pics, zero game play, and you have no idea who is designing the game. You have zero details.

The question:
Did you preorder it and send "down payment" money?

If you answered YES, then you fall into one of 3 categories:
1. You are are an idiot
2. You spend money and don't mind if you ever see any of it again
3. You are too impatient to let "game play details" get in the way of your dream pinball theme

ALL 3 HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH OWNING, FIXING, RESTORING, OR PLAYING PINBALL MACHINES. SO, WHY ARE YOU HERE? (As you may belong in the OT forums.)

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I preordered two egg mcmuffins this morning. Paid in advance at the first drive-thru window, then waited and picked them up at the next window. I was really nervous about it, given all the drama here on pinside, but I would probably do it again.

Well, pretty soon JPop will be working at McDonalds, so you'd better rethink how you pay for your breakfast!

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

Because they'll offer a rug and chrome trim if you pre-order.

Really!? A rug and chrome trim? Oh my fn gawd! I'm in!

ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpgShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.jpg

#58 8 years ago

Why did you guys Tag Spooky? I thought he was against pre-order and didn't accept money ahead of time?

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Ok, now imagine a company announces that theme as it's next title. There are zero pics, zero game play, and you have no idea who is designing the game. You have zero details.
The question:
1. You are are an idiot
3. You are too impatient to let "game play details" get in the way of your dream pinball theme
ALL 3 HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH OWNING, FIXING, RESTORING, OR PLAYING PINBALL MACHINES. SO, WHY ARE YOU HERE? (As you may belong in the OT forums.)

For whatever reason, there is a large segment of the collecting population that has this "Fear of Missing Out" mentality.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

For whatever reason, there is a large segment of the collecting population that has this "Fear of Missing Out" mentality.

agreed.

given that most of the reputable distributors are accepting a small [refundable] deposit, my guess is that most people would rather part with $100 to ensure receiving their "grail/dream themed" pin, rather that arriving late to the party and finding all of the girls have already been taken

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The question:
1. You are are an idiot

I was with til the idiot part.

Passionate hobby. Most here are in Positions to own and collect coffin sized toys due to being smart enough to be able to afford them. If I wanna make a bad buy in pinball, it's usually cuz I'm feeling excited about my new acquisition, not a matter of intellect.

Unless you meant shut up and take my money, then yes I'm an idiot.

#62 8 years ago

I don't believe any new pinball-related company will be successful if they hope to fund their inception with pre-order money, as Skit-B, Jpop, VonnieD etc. did. For that model to work, a critical mass of pre-payers is needed. Some will still pre-pay, but enough won't, and it won't be enough for anything to get off the ground.

#63 8 years ago

This survey is flawed. I voted yes to the topic but it should have been no to the question. The topic and the question contradict each other.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Well, pretty soon JPop will be working at McDonalds

I always wondered who was responsible for these.

pinball.jpgpinball.jpg

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

This survey is flawed. I voted yes to the topic but it should have been no to the question. The topic and the question contradict each other.

I'm not worried, I think most would be smart enough to read the question before answering

#66 8 years ago

Pre-pay buyers will become more cautious, but pre-pay is here to stay.

Most know they are taking a risk and are comfortable doing so.

Overall it may result in a couple of new pinball companies that wouldn't have been.

It certainly has increased thread count.....

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Clearly the pre-order model from a new pinball company that has never made a pin is at least close to being dead, if not completely dead.

Spot on!!!

Quoted from gambit3113:

TBL will be mine in ~ 4 and 10 months, at a 10% savings.

I was thinking the same thing. If they're ever made I will have one, it just won't be NIB.

#68 8 years ago

Poll surprisingly even.

PT Barnum would be proud....

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Poll surprisingly even.
PT Barnum would be proud....

You do realize that people could vote "no" in the poll even if they have zero intent of ever pre-ordering a pin, right?

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You do realize that people could vote "no" in the poll even if they have zero intent of ever pre-ordering a pin, right?

Well, yah.... Thats how every opinion poll here works, though.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Well, yah.... Thats how every opinion poll here works, though.

I was referring to your statement about PD Barnum. It doesn't really apply since the poll doesn't ask people if they will pre-order a pin. It asks if "pre-pay is still viable." Technically you could have every single person who voted that prepay is not dead be people who would never preorder a pin under any circumstances, but they think *other* people will.

Also, I noticed that your poll question is all f'ed up, because the title question is the complete opposite of the poll question.

I bet half the people who voted didn't realize which way they were actually voting.

I.e., "Is the pre-order/prepay model finally dead?" is very different than "Is prepay still viable in the pinball community?"

I'd vote yes to one of those questions and no to the other.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I was referring to your statement about PD Barnum. It doesn't really apply since the poll doesn't ask people if they will pre-order a pin. It asks if "pre-pay is still viable." Technically you could have every single person who voted that prepay is not dead be people who would never preorder a pin under any circumstances, but they think *other* people will.
Also, I noticed that your poll question is all f'ed up, because the title question is the complete opposite of the poll question.
I bet half the people who voted didn't realize which way they were actually voting.
I.e., "Is the pre-order/prepay model finally dead?" is very different than "Is prepay still viable in the pinball community?"

Ah, I misunderstood your meaning there.

#1. You're right. However, I think fewer people would admit to preordering again....still, I find it hard to believe people think OTHERS will continue to blindly preorder pins.
#2. Yeah I reversed the question from the topic. Interestingly, the results are nearly split evenly, so it probably doesn't matter.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

SOMEBODY'S thinking waaaaay too much about this shit.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

#1. You're right. However, I think fewer people would admit to preordering again....still, I find it hard to believe people think OTHERS will continue to blindly preorder pins.

Oh, I don't find it hard to believe OTHERS will continue to blindly preorder pins at all. Sad. But true.

2 months later
#75 8 years ago

I myself have put a deposit with David Stein (Professor Pin) at the old Bumper Mk I, and received my "lowboy" no problems and also with Joe (Aussie Arcade) similar, also no problems, received units Ok, I also picked up another unit from the old Bumper Mk 1, in my own car and David Stein (sales manager) shook hands with me and said "thankyou for doing business with us". As many Pinsiders know, David Stein (Professor Pin), has a good name in the amusements business and had delivered on target, as he promised in the past. I think David's good reputation convinced Bumper customers, "that it was safe" to do pre-pay. If it was in the hands of Mr Stein, then I'd say it would be okay, but as you fellow pinsiders know, Bumper was sold off and taken over and the rest is history , as they say. I think pre-pay may have worked, if managed by the right people. I always put deposits on any machine I want and if they deliver it to my address, I then pay the balance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 210.00
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Playfield - Decals
ScottyMods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pre-orderprepay-model-finally-dead/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.