(Topic ID: 76552)

Is the power driver board able to reset other than by 5V supply?

By soren

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by soren
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Does the power driver board have methods to reset the CPU other than stavation on the 5V supply? And when will it do so.

Any board for that matter.

I have pretty strange reset issues on a WPC-S game.

#2 10 years ago

Describe the conditions that you are experiencing. The +5V line is the only one that has the "watchdog" circuit that is responsible for resets. There can be direct and indirect causes to drop the +5V below the watchdog threshold. These can be from low input voltage, faulty thermistor, bad connectors, etc.

#3 10 years ago

I have had an issue with a faulty remote battery holder causing resets

#5 10 years ago

The 5V supply seems rock solid at 5.0x measured that the C31 cap.

The voltage is also measured at the U6 ROM.

The RAM measures 4.8 which I explain by the diode voltage drop.

The RAM backup power is working. I'm not suspecting the diodes to be faulty, but I'll dig deeper into this.

I have not measured watch dog yet.

The reset is provoked by hard knock on the cabinet/backbox. But not everytime. When it happens, the 5V measure on the meter is not moving a single decimal.

I suspect a cold joint on the CPU board it self. That is why I ask it the other boards can inforce a reset via communication.

Pinwiki is well read at this point.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

The reset is provoked by hard knock on the cabinet/backbox

Double check your slam tilt behind the coin door is not too close. Unlike the plumb bob, that one will give no warning but instantly reboot the machine.

#7 10 years ago

Slam tilts are disabled (taped). Also, they usually give a warning sound.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Also, they usually give a warning sound.

Not the one on the coin door.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

The reset is provoked by hard knock on the cabinet/backbox. But not everytime. When it happens, the 5V measure on the meter is not moving a single decimal.

Patient: "Doctor, every time I do this it hurts!"
    Doctor: "Then stop doing that!!!"

If the only way to invoke a reset it to hit the back of the machine hard, then don't hit the back of the machine!

Seriously though, it's probably a bad connection somewhere on J101, J102, J114 or a component that is not fast enough to be picked up on the meter.

The 5V does go to the CPU through J114. Anywhere that 5V goes a drop can cause resets.

#10 10 years ago

Happens during game nudges too. Also, rarely though, by itself in attract mode.

And, in turn, it provokes the game going factory reset on the following boot up. Loosing adjustments, high scores etc.

No, I need'a fix it.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

The 5V supply seems rock solid at 5.0x measured that the C31 cap.
    The voltage is also measured at the U6 ROM.
    The RAM measures 4.8 which I explain by the diode voltage drop.
    The RAM backup power is working. I'm not suspecting the diodes to be faulty, but I'll dig deeper into this.
    I have not measured watch dog yet.
    I suspect a cold joint on the CPU board it self. That is why I ask it the other boards can inforce a reset via communication.
    Pinwiki is well read at this point.

A meter is probably not fast enough to show a voltage drop cause by something like this. But I would consider anything that might be impacted by moving wires such as Z connectors, pins on the board that feed 5v, the connectors that feed it, etc. The fact that you have a specific way to reproduce should eliminate much off that pinwiki page such as bad circuitry on the power board.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

And, in turn, it provokes the game going factory reset on the following boot up. Loosing adjustments, high scores etc.

This is a separate, most likely unrelated issue with your CPU board / ram losing power. It shouldn't cause resets I wouldn't think.

#13 10 years ago

The factory reset issue, I believe, is a bootup fail safety that is performed because the RAM was left at a bad state when the reset kicked in.

#14 10 years ago

What's this logic based on? This isn't a PC with a hard drive. Unless the contents of the nvm is being written at time of reboot, this is very unlikely.

#15 10 years ago

You may be right. Even more evidence pointing at your reasoning is, that I've seen this from a reset during attract mode. Where one may assume that adjustment data and bookkeeping is not altered.

I'll keep you posted.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-power-driver-board-able-to-reset-other-than-5v-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.