Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Pugsley
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 12 years ago

Yes and No.

It will really depend on what pins you buy and in what condition.

Stern are moving to LCD quite soon so will these recent, very expensive pins start to look dated?

I think it could be hard to get money back on all these LE editions.

However we lose money on all other consumables, tv's, phones, hi-fi, cars.......pins are expensive toys so yes, if you buy 'wrong' and are buying to 'invest' you will more than likely take a hit.

Buy games that you love playing, in the best condition you can afford

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Will MM, AFM, MB, CV, or the other later, lower run number B/W pins experience a crash or correction in their market in the foreseeable future? I am not expecting that to happen. Seasonal variances and 10% market blips one way or the other? Sure. But nothing more than that.

Bingo!

Yes, low production run top 10 pins of the golden era are unlikely to fall by much. I have a possibility of getting a restored MB for same price as a Stern AC/DC premium......no prizes for which will be worth more in 5 years. That said, only buy a game if you enjoy playing it!!!

Can't see Stern or JJP reducing prices either.

#52 12 years ago

A crash may happen but not in the next few years. We have JJP and WOZ on the scene and a new system by Stern. It might be that some of the best pins ever are made in the next few years. Prices are rising so a lot of new people will need to come into pinball. They will then want A listers to add to their collections.

However my worry is about 2 years from now.......not sure if room for 2 pinball companies making expensive pins but we will see.

#58 12 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:

RWH said:the Ops may be forced to fold, and they represent the largest share of profit for either company in what could become a market stretched so thin it won't support even one alone.
    Actually, Ops are no longer the main buyers, its Collectors first now, Ops are running second.

Not sure I agree. Speaking to George Gomez, he gave me the impression the Ops market is the most important. Yes, they sell 500 LE etc to the collectors but they need to sell 1000's of Pro's to the Ops to survive.

Quoted from RWH:

simonakapw said:However my worry is about 2 years from now.......not sure if room for 2 pinball companies making expensive pins but we will see.
    I hear what everyone is saying and agree that a "crash" may benefit "us the collectors" as we tend to buy for the pleasure a pin brings us as players. However, I tend to feel this will only be the short term effect and as I said, and as Simonakapw points out, it is the long term effect on an already shrinking market that TWO companies competing will produce that scares me. I can't help but wonder if either will be viable enough after all is said and done to survive in the long run. Think about it clearly, we all agree independant Ops in the wild are already scarce, if prices continue to rise even further through competition for an already thin market, the Ops may be forced to fold, and they represent the largest share of profit for either company in what could become a market stretched so thin it won't support even one alone. I myself search in the wild for pins I'd like to play that for the most part I can't afford to own, and I think that is true for most if not all! Rising prices may mean Ops cannot afford to buy a pin because the profit margin over it's lifetime will not support it which leaves them very little options..... It will take new machines to attract new customers, Ops will not survive unless that happens regularly and when they start to go so will company profit. I'm not trying to pee on anyones parade, I'm just concerned as a pin enthusiast about the future of the the hobby I love.

One of these companies needs to innovate in a spectacular way to bring new blood into pinball. Not sure how but needs to be even more interactive and provide an fantastic sensory experience!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-crash?tu=shapeshifter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.