(Topic ID: 264212)

Is the pinball market about to collapse?

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 790 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    72E11B90-10A8-42A9-8864-7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200320_125736_979 (resized).jpg
    Stern (resized).jpg
    Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png
    D4CFA9AC-F413-4D25-92A0-B084CE002446 (resized).jpeg
    5A8A81E5-C345-4D8B-9647-8D79CAA13D31.gif
    DSCN6705 (resized).JPG
    idiot.jpg
    27DC9CBC-E99F-4DEE-84DA-C3BF0EC5CAD6 (resized).jpeg
    2CA58ADE-0930-408A-96D0-DC660A160DC2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN6704 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6703 (resized).JPG
    BUTTCOIN (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#127 4 years ago

The real impact will be to the manufactures who can't move product, have reduced cash flow, and can't pay their debt obligations.

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

we might be dealing with this for a while, but zero chance this takes years to recover.....if you think so completely delusional

No one knows for sure, all we have is history to look back on and make predictions.

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

I have to say that this could be the end of the road for jjp ... there on the ropes and this will take them down .. no ones gonna buy a $13,000 machine when they cant make their mortgage payment

Especially if liquidity dries up, which it looks like it might.

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

For their swift reaction and strict quarantining measures. Containment measures are unfolding very slowly here. I saw pictures today of crowds of thousands on the beaches in Florida for spring break.

Containment is going to be difficult with this happening.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-generational-war-is-brewing-over-coronavirus-11584437401

#267 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I think that is normal young people attitudes. Think of all the things we did, or brushed off as kids. Certainly there is more 'look at me look at me' going on these days due to social media, but I think the rest is simply 'we're young and invincible'. If it impacts someone they care about, their attitude will change...especially if it is a celebrity.

I agree, but this seems to be much worse than before.

#276 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

The 6 years in the Navy gave me great perspective. That “get the F up and get your shit in one sock” rude awakening should be experienced by everyone in my book. You see things completely differently after a drill sergeant puts his boot up yer ass on a daily basis for 8 weeks in boot camp. My wife looks at the difference between me and my brother. I ended up doing well, my brother, who went straight into the workplace, lives from paycheck to paycheck. Got to say, a lot of the luck I have had in my life comes from a good work ethic I gained in the military.

I still think and talk of my boot camp experience. Some tough times, but a lot of good times too.

#293 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

My first 5 minutes of boot camp went like this. Drill sergeant doing the normal yelling who's boss thing in peoples faces, and then someone dropping to the ground spasming, the drill sergeant went over to him and proceeds to yell at him to get up etc, only to find the dude was having an epileptic seizure. Was a bizarre first day.

My first day was a bit bizarre as well. After we were worked over by 4 drill sergeants, they had us strip, shower and shave. It was a bloody mess as everyone cut their faces up. One guy had on a pair of Aladdin underwear on. They had him stand in the middle of the room and sing A Whole New World, he was crying his eyes out.

Later on we all laughed about it, but not that night.

#314 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I think that is hopeful. They are already calling that school may be cancelled in some areas for the rest of the year. If we don't get a handle on this, with no end in sight, there is no 'bailout' that is going to save everyone.

Agreed, our lives could be changed forever, lower life expectancy, lower standard of living, back to the dark ages.

Let's hope it doesn't get to that, especially with so many weapons of war throughout the world.

#463 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

I hope it passes as fast and gentle as possible. To be frank, there are probebly biochemists all over the world working Day and night for a vaccin. Lets hope they come thru.
    Stay safe people and there will hopefully be lots of work available when this is over.

Surprised that China hasn't come up with anything yet. They've had months.

#473 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We've been through this for a while. Even if they've had months it's likely 1.5 years before a vaccine can be properly created, tested, and released. So even if they've been working night and day since late last year it's still over a year away. And no guarantee they'll want to share it for us, considering our latest campaign to distract from our own failures by rebranding the virus as China's fault.

Not so sure they they would have shared it prior to Trump hurting their feelings. Add to it that we now are going to try and limit our dependence on China for pharmaceuticals, such a bad move.

#669 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

My wife was let go along with 185 others from Anthem along term employees. Wife had 39yrs in and the lowest tenure they let go was 38 yrs. service. She is just going to retire young as at our age jobs can be hard to find. We have zero debt so really only health insurance will be a worry. Our day to day expenses are pretty low or at least I think they are, we are going to set down and look over everything and plan for our future.

Sorry to hear that and how it went down. Hope it all works out for you.

39 years is a LONG time.

#685 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

That is really bad to hear. It hasn't even been a month of shutdown and things already going Mad Max on us.

Wait til it's people's homes they break into.

#723 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

No but multiple doctors and scientists have already said that the number of cases / deaths will stop going up at some point, peak, and go down. The numbers cannot just keep going up forever, this will end.
    Take a look at the deaths by week per 1000 people across several cities world wide during the Spanish Flu, a virus that killed 50 or more people from 1918-1919. The period of exponential growth lasted about 2 months. We are in the exponential growth period now. Cases will eventually peak, and then start going down until they level off. Once levels do go down and level off a big concern will be preventing a second wave which did occur during the Spanish Flu pandemic.
    [quoted image]
    Sorry, should have kept this in the other thread.

Those are measured in thousands. That's fucked up right there.

#769 4 years ago
    Quoted from BobSacamano:

From the link you posted:
    https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Italy/United-States/People

Population aged 65 or over
    Italy: 17.96 million
    USA: 123.43 million
    7 times more than Italy

Population aged 80 or over
    Italy: 8.96 million
    USA: 51.64 million
    6 times more than Italy
    How am I interpreting that data incorrectly? In what way does "Italy have a much older population"?!
    Here's additional stats that aren't in the US's favor:

The US Census Bureau and the US Department of Health and Human Services has very different numbers than you show. If we use that data as a comparison, Italy is almost double the US in >65 as a %.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2017/cb17-ff08.html
    https://acl.gov/sites/default/files/Aging%20and%20Disability%20in%20America/2017OlderAmericansProfile.pdf

I really don't know which #s are accurate to be honest though.

#781 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Sorry, but I have to step in here with all this talk of Italy and US. Yes, America has more TOTAL older people than Italy, and yes, America has more TOTAL people of all ages than Italy; however, that is neither here nor there, since America also has much more land area and it's people are much more spread out.
    To talk numbers, Italy has 518 people per square mile. The US only has 87 people per square mile. Italy has about 23% of it's population aged 65+, while the US has about 15% of it's population 65+. Roughly.
    So basically, in any given square mile of the country, Italy has more people packed closer together, and more of them are older. Also, in a lot of European cultures, like in Italy, it is (or was until now) quite common for people to greet each other with kiss on the cheek. If you've got family or close friends in Europe, you know this.
    So given the significant disparities between the US and Italy, it IS like Apples an Oranges to make direct comparisons between Italy and US when it comes to contagion spreading and mortality. Certainly Italy provides a sad warning of what CAN happen, but it would be somewhat foolish to expect our outbreak results to follow theirs. It is simply a fact that a contagion like COVID-19 will have a harder time spreading as quickly in most of the US, than it will in Italy.
    I hope I made sense here! (Also, these numbers are easily found with a basic google-search, so I haven't bothered including the links, but if you desire, go ahead!)

Quite true. There are a lot of other things we just don't know. Some reports have stated that younger people have been given the hospital beds rather than seniors because of the probability of survival. Others have stated other reasons...nobody knows for sure at this point.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-collapse?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.