(Topic ID: 264212)

Is the pinball market about to collapse?

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 790 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    72E11B90-10A8-42A9-8864-7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200320_125736_979 (resized).jpg
    Stern (resized).jpg
    Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png
    D4CFA9AC-F413-4D25-92A0-B084CE002446 (resized).jpeg
    5A8A81E5-C345-4D8B-9647-8D79CAA13D31.gif
    DSCN6705 (resized).JPG
    idiot.jpg
    27DC9CBC-E99F-4DEE-84DA-C3BF0EC5CAD6 (resized).jpeg
    2CA58ADE-0930-408A-96D0-DC660A160DC2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN6704 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6703 (resized).JPG
    BUTTCOIN (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#148 4 years ago

Now if we can just start a rumour that pinball machines are better than toilet paper during a pandemic we'll all be rich.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Better to hope pinball machines don't get a reputation for being like dirty toilet paper with 40 years of germs. We are entering a new Era where people have been sensitized to what they are touching, what sort of people they are around.
    Sanitary Pinball Parlors will prosper.

That's a good point. How's Dave and Busters going over there? The idea of combining kids, food and video games isn't too appealing at the moment. In my head its the land equivalent of a cruise ship.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

everyone is thinking out loud.

Ah, no. Of all the things to worry about during this pandemic/recession, my pinball collection is literally the last thing.

In fact it’s going to be a great outlet if/when things get tough.

(Disclaimer: your individual economic circumstances may differ and you should seek external financial advice before buying or selling pinball machines during a pandemic).

#189 4 years ago

A lot of recent growth has been from one and done newbs buying a game for their game room. They’re not on Pinside, and they’re not obsessed like we are.

When things get tough, they’ll be the first to sell. So that’s likely affecting Stern NIB and recent Stern used more than anything.

#272 4 years ago

My Boomer parents (on the old side 1947) are the worst. Even though they're the most vulnerable they think they're invincible. You think millennials have entitlement - Boomers are worse. They truly believe the world owes them everything and how dare anyone try to stop them.

#283 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My parents - same age - aren't leaving the fucking house! Well except the pool in the backyard, or to walk the poodle.
    SO I guess they are leaving the house. But they are being very careful and taking this very seriously and not coming near anybody else.

I'm trying to stop them - they want to go out for dinner, play golf, everything they normally do, but they're now more adamant as if to prove they're still young.

Maybe just my parents have issues.

#291 4 years ago

Stern, like every discretionary consumer business in the Western World, will be in panic mode right now. It's taken on a life of its own now - a self fulfilling cycle - that has very little to do with a virus.

#332 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Maybe your parents have got it right and the rest of the people have it wrong. My father is 91 and he still wants to do everything. It is not the world owes them a living, more like they appreciate what they have and want to enjoy it as much as possible. I am starting to agree with them.
    My Dad said that it is his responsibility to look after himself. He has bought masks and wears them when he goes out. My Dad is a legend. He survived WW2, then a civil war, then fought in Korea. He helped in Vietnam. People push him out of the way in the shops to get to toilet paper before him. Thank god we have sorted that for the next few days.
    More people have died so far in 2020 from the common flu than corona virus.
    If Pinball crashes it will be straight back up like everything else. People need to stop wishing doom and gloom.

Sure, depends on your circumstance but sometimes it's smart not to be stupid.

Two parents in my sons year at school have both just tested positive to COVID19. One's daughter is a friend of my sons. I honestly don't care if I get the virus, and I'm not too worried about my wife or son. But if we go out for dinner with my elderly parents there's a chance they catch Corona. And if they did there's a good chance it will be serious given their situation.

I'm not going to risk that - would be irresponsible and stupid. If they want to do whatever else with no mask on etc., I cant stop them, but of course I'm going to ask them to be a bit more careful. It's just common sense.

#387 4 years ago

Bolted to the floor means nothing when the floor collapses.

noob-a-tron is 100% correct - NIB game prices were already at "that's ridiculous" price levels before this. They'll really be unobtanium now - $16k TMNT LE anyone?

#552 4 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I’m just glad we still have waves to surf.[quoted image]

Don't know about over there, but in Sydney everything is so freakin' clean since the airport, china, manufacturing, commuters etc have been shut down. Last night the stars were so clear it was like I was way out in the bush 30 years ago - and I live 2km from the centre of Sydney. Today the sky is ridiculously blue. Smells like the bush and ocean instead of fumes.

Anyone see that stuff about dolphins and swans in the canals in Venice?

Starting to think we need to do this for 4 weeks every year.

#635 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

It’s not all bad

You’re right. It’s about 95% bad. +\- 5%.

#647 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

The entire travel industry is completely shut down. Airlines, Hotels, Airbnb and short term rentals, restaurants, bars, sporting events, venues, all closed. The real estate market has ground to a complete halt, automotive sales are going to drop to zero. Let’s factor in the supply chain and service industry that is servicing these industries..... but the food production industry is strong. Are people going to eat more now that’s the Coronavirus is happening?

For better or worse doctors are running the worlds’ economies at the moment.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-collapse?tu=cooked71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.