(Topic ID: 264212)

Is the pinball market about to collapse?

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 790 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    72E11B90-10A8-42A9-8864-7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200320_125736_979 (resized).jpg
    Stern (resized).jpg
    Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png
    D4CFA9AC-F413-4D25-92A0-B084CE002446 (resized).jpeg
    5A8A81E5-C345-4D8B-9647-8D79CAA13D31.gif
    DSCN6705 (resized).JPG
    idiot.jpg
    27DC9CBC-E99F-4DEE-84DA-C3BF0EC5CAD6 (resized).jpeg
    2CA58ADE-0930-408A-96D0-DC660A160DC2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN6704 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6703 (resized).JPG
    BUTTCOIN (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#11 4 years ago

No matter if the market goes down, stays flat, or goes up this is the reason why people shouldn't buy pinball machines as investments. I think you almost need to be comfortable that if there value drops to 0 that you will be fine financially.

With that being said it's great having pinball machines at home right now during this time as it's a fun distraction.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I would be nervous if I was a seller of any nonessential luxury item
    Our economy is going to be reset back to 2008/09 or worse if we have a US shutdown for a week or more
    From everything I read - we are about 10-14 days away from peak virus

Except the economy is in way better shape then it was in 08-09. The impact to the economy hasn't been building for years unlike in 08-09. We have record unemployment and just 2 weeks ago another great jobs report came out.

#86 4 years ago

Now selling my Pirates at blowout pricing, $12,499.99, will toss in a 6 pack of Kirkland double ply toilet paper! lol

In the short term I think we are going to see collectors hold onto their games and only sell if they need to. If this shutdown goes on for 3-6 weeks and then things slowly start going back to normal I don't think we see much change with resale prices. I think that NIB sales will take the biggest hit in the short term meaning that there will be lower sales then usual as more people hang onto their savings. If this is still going on 3-6 months from now then I think we will start to see a drop on the secondary market.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

I have to say that this could be the end of the road for jjp ... there on the ropes and this will take them down .. no ones gonna buy a $13,000 machine when they cant make their mortgage payment

What about the $7500 machines they are now selling such as Wonka SE and likely future SE's going forward? JJP doesn't sell a $13k pin.

#218 4 years ago

Not that it's a sign of collapse but there has been a large uptick in machine for sale ads over the past 24 - 72 hours.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I can't really answer this officialy but for Stern I think games like JP2 may be a savings grace for them right now as they had/have a backorder of games lined up that are already sold. For instance, I ordered mine basically Jan 1 and as of last week am still being told I'm in line and expected to see delivery in April. I'm sure some people have canceled but I have to assume a good chunk of us are riding it out otherwise I'd get a call stating my game was shipping early.
    I think the biggest risk to Stern (or any of the mfg's) right now is the workforce. At what point are they forced to close their doors for social distancing? That would really stink, not because I can't get my game but for those employees that are now out of work. Most are hourly waged so being shut down would be more painful for them then it would be for us not getting our games.

It will happen if one of their workers tests positive for the virus. At that point I think they would have to shutdown for at least a couple weeks.

#311 4 years ago
    Quoted from dozer1:

With 20% + unemployment right around the corner, plummeting stock markets, pin values from EM's to LE's are bound to slip significantly. This is the least of my worries. The old retirement mutual fund on the other hand.........

The 20% unemployment number came from the Treasury Secretary saying that without the $1 trillion government stimulus package being discussed that unemployment could reach 20%. It sounds like that number will be avoided with the stimulus package being passed in the near future.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/politics/steven-mnuchin-unemployment-warning-coronavirus/index.html

#315 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Agreed, our lives could be changed forever, lower life expectancy, lower standard of living, back to the dark ages.
    Let's hope it doesn't get to that, especially with so many weapons of war throughout the world.

I think our best days are yet to come, this isn't the end of the world, far from it.

#343 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

The only people I have seen say that pin prices will come down are the ones looking to buy, but don't want to pay market value. My stuff has sold fast over the last few months, the latest sale being this weekend. It all sold for the high end of the market.
    If for some reason prices did fall off a cliff I'd sit on what I had and buy what I can get my hands on, which is the mentality many would have. It keeps prices from dropping.

Yeah, right now things still seem fairly stable, all depends on how long this goes on for. I just sold an HUO JJP Pirates LE yesterday at what I believe is still at the higher end of the HUO market. I didn't sell the game out of panic, just wanted to free up some room for another game down the road (or tomorrow lol). Yes, I did wipe down my Escalera, door knobs, and tools with antibacterial wipes plus the buyer and I only elbowed instead of shaking hands!

#345 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Wow, thought you'd be one of the last people to let go of their JJPOTC...I'm shocked!

A part of me will always regret selling it. I love the game, it's one of the best pins ever made but after being burned by JJP with the WOZ light board issues (bought the 2.0 kit) and Hobbit post release update kits (pain in the ass to install lol) it was nice to make a profit on one of their games. I'll roll it into another game which may be a new JJP pin.

While I do think Pirates is amazing I was slightly bummed by the lack of immersion with the chapter modes and multiballs (due to license restrictions) compared to those in games such as Dialed In, Ghostbusters, and especially Hobbit. I like that there's 5 wizard modes in Pirates but the two I got to were only 1 ball which often ended quickly. I may own one again down the road when I have room for more pins.

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I'm not sure about that. For MONTHS you never saw a JJP POTC for sale on Pinside. But Zach Meny sold his last week (not saying he's desperate - but more likely "wise") , and there are FIVE for sale on pinside right now. This is supposed to be "bolted to the floor... I'll never sell it" for most owners. Five. Unreal.

There's really only 3 for sale right now, 1 is priced too high, and another is priced too high for being on location. 2 are listed as sold pending. Just for reference I sold my HUO LE (mint, no issues, $150 -$200 in mods) for $12k yesterday outside of Pinside. Not a panic sell, just will eventually be moving onto a different pin.

Also, I think Zach bought a Wonka CE after selling Pirates.

#438 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

For $6000 Fathoms and $9000 LEs, I think it's gonna be tough sledding.

Yeah. I got so caught up in buying only higher end pins the past few years that I forgot just how much fun older pins for a much lower cost are. I always wanted an older pin with an NOS / CPR playfield in it, there's something about the way colors pop on older games as well as how fast they can play with a new playfield. About 6 months ago I picked up a very nice Mata Hari SS with a CPR playfield, new boards, and CPR plastics in it. I'm going to keep an eye out for more games like that. It's also nice having a blend of newer and older games in a collection.

#460 4 years ago

If you have 10+ (or even 5 - 10) years left to work I would not be cashing out your 401k, that's probably the worst possible thing you can do right now. Your 401k has already taken a big hit at this point and by taking an early withdrawal it will take a 10% penalty hit plus another 25% - 30% in taxes. The stock market will go back up. Yes, it may take 5 years to get back and surpass the recent record peak but when you have 10+ years to retire who cares! It's easy to make bad financial decisions in a panic.

#655 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Mailing the checks to everyone isn't the right strategy IMO. Any federal funds of this sort should be directed to state unemployment agencies to directly help those in service and hospitality industries that have already lost their jobs and need the help. Also, struggling small business owners so it can help meet rent and payroll obligations.
    I personally don't need the money right now and if they're going to put the country in even bigger debt then we already are, make sure it gets to those currently need it most.

Yeah I hear ya there. There are a ton of employed people right now that are now reigning in their spending and have instead switched to savings mode. However, the stimulus checks will get a lot of employed people who are saving to spend that money quickly which can help the economy. I'm sure some will just put it in the bank but many in that bucket will spending the money within a few months as well.

#659 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

My wife was let go along with 185 others from Anthem along term employees. Wife had 39yrs in and the lowest tenure they let go was 38 yrs. service. She is just going to retire young as at our age jobs can be hard to find. We have zero debt so really only health insurance will be a worry. Our day to day expenses are pretty low or at least I think they are, we are going to set down and look over everything and plan for our future.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that Did they purposely let go only employees that had the longest time in as a forced retirement? Sounds like all the 185 let go had 38-39 years in. I hope a great severance package was offered to all affected.

#688 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

It won't linger longer. It is here forever. A virus does not disappear.

Yes but a pandemic doesn't last forever, cases will start decreasing at some point just as with every past pandemic.

#699 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Have you lived through anything like this in the US? I haven't.

No but multiple doctors and scientists have already said that the number of cases / deaths will stop going up at some point, peak, and go down. The numbers cannot just keep going up forever, this will end.

Take a look at the deaths by week per 1000 people across several cities world wide during the Spanish Flu, a virus that killed 50 or more people from 1918-1919. The period of exponential growth lasted about 2 months. We are in the exponential growth period now. Cases will eventually peak, and then start going down until they level off. Once levels do go down and level off a big concern will be preventing a second wave which did occur during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).pngSpanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png

Sorry, should have kept this in the other thread.

#753 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

0.1%. In Italy Covid19 is tracking at 6-8%. This isn't the flu and would likely kill 1-2 million if 50% of the country gets it. Looking more like Spanish flu numbers right now.

Yeah that's scary. Here in the U.S the mortality is much lower right now and hopefully it stays that way. This is why all of the extreme measures are being taken.

Regarding the Spanish Flu mortality rate in the U.S from Wikipedia.

"In the U.S., about 28% of the population of 105 million became infected, and 500,000 to 675,000 died (0.48 to 0.64 percent of the population)"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-collapse?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.