(Topic ID: 264212)

Is the pinball market about to collapse?

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 790 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    72E11B90-10A8-42A9-8864-7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200320_125736_979 (resized).jpg
    Stern (resized).jpg
    Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png
    D4CFA9AC-F413-4D25-92A0-B084CE002446 (resized).jpeg
    5A8A81E5-C345-4D8B-9647-8D79CAA13D31.gif
    DSCN6705 (resized).JPG
    idiot.jpg
    27DC9CBC-E99F-4DEE-84DA-C3BF0EC5CAD6 (resized).jpeg
    2CA58ADE-0930-408A-96D0-DC660A160DC2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN6704 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6703 (resized).JPG
    BUTTCOIN (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 16.
    #251 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

This must be that fun friendly positive atmosphere I keep being told this place is about.

quite a few turds in the last 3-4 yrs

#252 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

quite a few turds in the last 3-4 yrs

Maybe this explains all of the TP shortages.

#253 4 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

Maybe this explains all of the TP shortages.

FUNNY!

#254 4 years ago

Unpopular opinion: Just in the last 2 or 3 days I've seen more pinballs listed on buy & sell FB groups than I've seen in the last 12 months. Not only this, but a lot of sought-after pins are appearing for sale. People are still asking yesterday's prices though (which I totally get since they cost an arm and a leg). I think there's a huge pinball pricing correction coming very soon in the 2nd hand market (not new Sterns, etc). However, the newer boutique manufacturers may even go bankrupt.

#255 4 years ago

Geetarslinga I've noticed the same thing here in Texas. People are getting nervous, and pinball machines aren't a necessity so they are trying to sell off while they can, free up some cash.

The influx of pinball stock will surely make prices go down. It's just simple economics. Not sure why this is tough to understand.

#256 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

This why we maybe headed for a total quarantine.

I see this in my area and honestly it pisses me off. I'm Gen-X and my parents are in their late 70's. My dad has had some serious health issues this past year and I'm afraid he wouldn't survive COVID-19 if he got it. Fortunately, after several weeks of mybpleading and warnings, they are hunkered down at home

I'll probably get blasted or a moderator notice for saying this but the younger generations in this country - and apparently globally - too often only seem to care about themselves and what is in everything for them.

I don't know exactly why that is but I do think social media and good times for so long has led to an entitlement mentality and narcissism in the nation's youth that isn't healthy. The fact too many apparently can't be inconvenienced for any length of time out of consideration for public health or those older and not healthy in society just really rubs me the wrong way.

Now off my lawn!!

#257 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

I see this in my area and honestly it pisses me off. I'm Gen-Ex and my parents are in their late 70's. My dad has had some serious health issues this past year and I'm afraid he wouldn't survive COVID-19 if he got it. Fortunately, after several weeks of warnings, they are hunkered down at home
    I'll probably get blasted or a moderator notice for saying this but the younger generations in this country - and apparently globally (yes, including many millineals) too often only seem to care about themselves and what is in everything for them.
    I don't know exactly why that is but I do think social media and good times for so long has led to an entitlement mentality and narcissism in the nation's youth that isn't healthy. The fact too many apparently can't be inconvenienced for any length of time out of consideration for public health or those older and not healthy in society just really rubs me the wrong way.
    Now off my lawn!!

I think some people around here have proven it isn't just a millenial issue. We as a population have had it pretty good for a long time.

#258 4 years ago

(edited)
    Excuse me for watching the market... being aware of the market... whether this hobby is the center of my existence or something that I amuse myself with as a distraction. Only an idiot wouldn't spend time tapping the pulse of market trends... or wondering if they're overpaying or perhaps seeing a downward trend when – literally – thousands of dollars are involved. That even goes for collectors that spend on pins with throw away cash. It makes for interesting conversation, especially as market factors change.

Don't like it? Don't click on it and read it. It's really that simple. If that needs further explanation... well... that's too bad.

So, rather than stalking and trolling others, attempting to make debates out of petty school-yard arguments... try spending your time doing something productive. And if it bothers you that much, please do me a huge favor and put me on ignore. Would be much appreciated.

#259 4 years ago

The problem with the youth I think is a lack of respect for anyone outside their circle of friends and family... and inside the circle, the biggest person they care about is themselves. This is just a culmination of bad parenting and the parents just wanting “to get along and be their kid’s BFF” instead of being more strict and more disciplined and making the kids do the things they should. And yes, I realize I have become my father, but that is what age and wisdom does to everyone.

#260 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I think some people around here have proven it isn't just a millenial issue. We as a population have had it pretty good for a long time.

Good point. I do notice it more coming from young and healthy people though.

There seems to be a strong sentiment amongst youth and singles that it's no big deal because they'll likely only get minor symptoms. Just live life and not worry about it because it is only dangerous for older people and those with health problems.

I just find the lack of seldf awareness and callousness of these type of comments disturbing.

#261 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

The problem with the youth I think is a lack of respect for anyone outside their circle of friends and family... and inside the circle, the biggest person they care about is themselves. This is just a culmination of bad parenting and the parents just wanting “to get along and be their kid’s BFF” instead of being more strict and more disciplined and making the kids do the things they should. And yes, I realize I have become my father, but that is what age and wisdom does to everyone.

Kids are the same as ever, they largely aren't wired to think or worry about the consequences of their actions.

18-25 year olds generally are still developing and growing. Giving them three weeks off of school without any strong guidance is just asking for trouble. It saddens me to see it, but I'm not surprised.

I'm speaking generally here, I know not all young adults are like this.

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

I'll probably get blasted or a moderator notice for saying this but the younger generations in this country - and apparently globally - too often only seem to care about themselves and what is in everything for them.
    Now off my lawn!!

Absolutely correct sir!

#263 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

There seems to be a strong sentiment amongst youth and singles that it's no big deal because they'll likely only get minor symptoms. Just live life and not worry about it because it is only dangerous for older people and those with health problems.
    I just find the lack of seldf awareness and callousness of these type of comments disturbing.

2 years of Military, or social services. Free College while doing this. 18-20 years old.
    Stay longer if you like it.

Might work.

#264 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

I think that is normal young people attitudes. Think of all the things we did, or brushed off as kids. Certainly there is more 'look at me look at me' going on these days due to social media, but I think the rest is simply 'we're young and invincible'. If it impacts someone they care about, their attitude will change...especially if it is a celebrity.

#265 4 years ago

The 6 years in the Navy gave me great perspective. That “get the F up and get your shit in one sock” rude awakening should be experienced by everyone in my book. You see things completely differently after a drill sergeant puts his boot up yer ass on a daily basis for 8 weeks in boot camp. My wife looks at the difference between me and my brother. I ended up doing well, my brother, who went straight into the workplace, lives from paycheck to paycheck. Got to say, a lot of the luck I have had in my life comes from a good work ethic I gained in the military.

#266 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

The 6 years in the Navy gave me great perspective. That “get the F up and get your shit in one sock” rude awakening should be experienced by everyone in my book. You see things completely differently after a drill sergeant puts his boot up yer ass on a daily basis for 8 weeks in boot camp. My wife looks at the difference between me and my brother. I ended up doing well, my brother, who went straight into the workplace, lives from paycheck to paycheck. Got to say, a lot of the luck I have had in my life comes from a good work ethic I gained in the military.

Agreed actually. I think most people would benefit from some time in the military. They don't treat you like your best friends. There are consequences for your actions, etc.

#267 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I think that is normal young people attitudes. Think of all the things we did, or brushed off as kids. Certainly there is more 'look at me look at me' going on these days due to social media, but I think the rest is simply 'we're young and invincible'. If it impacts someone they care about, their attitude will change...especially if it is a celebrity.

I agree, but this seems to be much worse than before.

#268 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I agree. There would probably be something healthy and good for the reasons you mentioned about requiring all kids to serve a few years after high school in the military. This is required in some countries like Israel already.

Many of the youth seem to complain how unfair and bad things are in good economic times so I'd just assume we avoid extended bad times. It scares me what they might advocate for at that point. Let's pray this doesn't go on for too long.

#269 4 years ago

Millennials want everything you have....except your job.

They are calling this virus.... #boomerremoval

#270 4 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Hey, hey, hey... some of us have jobs!

#271 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Hey, hey, hey... some of us have jobs!

You were raised properly by cool GenXer's. I stand corrected. ; )

#272 4 years ago

My Boomer parents (on the old side 1947) are the worst. Even though they're the most vulnerable they think they're invincible. You think millennials have entitlement - Boomers are worse. They truly believe the world owes them everything and how dare anyone try to stop them.

#273 4 years ago

It seems alot of people want the prices of pinball machines to decrease in value so they can afford to buy more. This is exactly why pinball machines will not decline in price becouse people are still looking to buy. And if you need to sell your games than you couldn't afford them in the first place.

#274 4 years ago
    Quoted from mzhulk:

It seems alot of people want the prices of pinball machines to decrease in value so they can afford to buy more. This is exactly why pinball machines will not decline in price becouse people are still looking to buy. And if you need to sell your games than you couldn't afford them in the first place.

I think there's a big difference between not being able to afford in the first place and suddenly out of a job.

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

My Boomer parents (on the old side 1947) are the worst. Even though they're the most vulnerable they think they're invincible. You think millennials have entitlement - Boomers are worse. They truly believe the world owes them everything and how dare anyone try to stop them.

Wow!? There’s a first! You must have brutalized them in your youth!

#276 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I still think and talk of my boot camp experience. Some tough times, but a lot of good times too.

#277 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

My parents - same age - aren't leaving the fucking house! Well except the pool in the backyard, or to walk the poodle.

SO I guess they are leaving the house. But they are being very careful and taking this very seriously and not coming near anybody else.

#278 4 years ago
    Quoted from mzhulk:

It's so ridiculous. People don't understand how this works. Just more mass denial.

If the going rate for a WOZ falls to $3,000, what makes you think you'll be able to afford it? Do you realize how fucked the economy is going to be if these hopes come to pass?

If value drops significantly, you are just gonna see a lot more trades I think. And if it gets to the point where people are desperate to sell so they can feed their families, well, good luck everybody. I don't think you'll be snarkilly gobbling up cheap pinball deals and bragging about it here.

#279 4 years ago

Hey, if someone posts a “unicorn” machine For sale anywhere near me, and the price is not $$$ but 1/2$, I am not going to pass it up on the guise that I am not doing this person or pinball any favors. Someone sets their price, and it’s a steal of a deal, Am I actually going to say “Dude, you know you could get more for this unicorn?” Nope, and neither would any of you pinheads out there. You would open your wallet you pull out his asking price and drop it on the glass, just like everyone else. I’m not paying for their life story, nor do I want to know why the low price, I will rub my chin, look up and to the right, shake my head back and forth slowly, say, “well, hmm... ok, you got a deal.” And due to the times flash him the Vulcan hand sign and say LLAP, dude.

#280 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

my pinball collection is literally the last thing

Btw you read my post totally incorrect. I agree with you that your pinball collection would be the last thing you think about. Go back and read my post I said the EXACT SAME THING! However my point was why is anyone downvoting a guy for asking a question about the pinball market? My statement stands that yes I'm sure everyone is thinking about that and wondering if that will happen... only the people who buy and sell them anyway. Its a fair question so to get downvoted for it is ridiculous.

#281 4 years ago

The most important for me is to own the games I ever wanted(and that's what my collection is) no matter their value. And the day I'll die , it will be a bonus for my family who doesn't care about pinball

#282 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chnillapoil:

bonus for my family who doesn't care about pinball

My family is already earmarking machines they want when I die... talk about vultures. I told all the nieces and nephews it’s one apiece...

#283 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My parents - same age - aren't leaving the fucking house! Well except the pool in the backyard, or to walk the poodle.
    SO I guess they are leaving the house. But they are being very careful and taking this very seriously and not coming near anybody else.

I'm trying to stop them - they want to go out for dinner, play golf, everything they normally do, but they're now more adamant as if to prove they're still young.

Maybe just my parents have issues.

#284 4 years ago

We're headed for a major recession. Pinball market is dead. Stern will be the only player left in 2 years. The panic selling has already started. It will just continue. It was a good run boys.. PM me and I'll buy your cheap pins to help out.

#285 4 years ago

My stocks dropped, I took a loss and sold them...fear they would go lower.
    My pinballs Drop? Im not selling them, I play with them, they give me pleasure, my stocks dont.

Thin the heard if cash is needed...sure. And we all have different positions in our lives, to sell when we want to.

Bargains are always there....patience isnt.

I have to sell 1-2 a year anyway to meet my financial goals.

#286 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:This must be that fun friendly positive atmosphere I keep being told this place is about.

Everything will be fine.

The one constant through all the years Zablon, has been pinball.

There economy has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It’s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again.
    But pinball has marked the time.

The playfield, the machine, is a part of our past, Zablon.

It reminds us of all that once was good, and that could be again. Oh pinball will survive, Zablon.

Pinball will most definitely survive.

#287 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My stocks dropped, I took a loss and sold them...fear they would go lower.
    My pinballs Drop? Im not selling them, I play with them, they give me pleasure, my stocks dont.
    Thin the heard if cash is needed...sure. And we all have different positions in our lives, to sell when we want to.
    Bargains are always there....patience isnt.
    I have to sell 1-2 a year anyway to meet my financial goals.

Exactly. My collection doesn't change in value based on people on Pinside being willing to more or less for them. I go downstairs after work and have the same amount of fun playing them.

#288 4 years ago

I heard the government wants to give every adult 1000, that just means another 1000 towards another machine. And if pinball manufacturers drop out that means less new machines and makes older machines more in demand and prices go up again. Back in 2008 dow was only at 12000, what people should be doing is increasing there 401k contributions and buying at these lower prices becouse stock market will be just fine as it always is.

#289 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I agree that the military instilled some serious self-discipline that I still feel today, however I have to disagree about boot camp. It took less than a day to figure out that you did what you're told, when you're told. If somebody did get in your face you just stood there, eyes straight ahead and didn't react to anything. No matter what the question was, the answer was "Sir, yes, Sir". I don't care if he asked if your grandma was a whore! For them, it was all about finding a weakness, drilling into it, and getting a reaction. No reaction....no need to keep yelling, and they'd move on!

Quoted from Deez:

We're headed for a major recession. Pinball market is dead. Stern will be the only player left in 2 years. The panic selling has already started. It will just continue. It was a good run boys.. PM me and I'll buy your cheap pins to help out.

To get back to the real discussion, I'm on the fence. Given it's a luxury market item, a severe drop in secondary pricing could lead money away from manufacturers. That could force changes to production, pricing, distribution, or any number of factors. But you're still looking to buy, even though you think we're headed into a "major recession". So will other people, and so will people who want bright and shiny NIB machines.

OG Pinsiders lament about the influx of douchebag newbs with deep pockets, no knowledge, and who all think new is better. How ironic that they could be the ones that keep it afloat.

#290 4 years ago

My first 5 minutes of boot camp went like this. Drill sergeant doing the normal yelling who's boss thing in peoples faces, and then someone dropping to the ground spasming, the drill sergeant went over to him and proceeds to yell at him to get up etc, only to find the dude was having an epileptic seizure. Was a bizarre first day.

#291 4 years ago

Stern, like every discretionary consumer business in the Western World, will be in panic mode right now. It's taken on a life of its own now - a self fulfilling cycle - that has very little to do with a virus.

#292 4 years ago

Seems like it’s the right environment for Stern to offer a 15-20% off sale for a limited time to spark sales, keep their skilled people employed, help distributors weather the storm, and tilt softer demand to weaker competitors. Since most believe this is an extraordinary situation that will ease in a relatively short time, doubt it would undermine their overall marketing/pricing strategy. It would probably get me off the sidelines for a JP2 and/or DP.

#293 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

My first 5 minutes of boot camp went like this. Drill sergeant doing the normal yelling who's boss thing in peoples faces, and then someone dropping to the ground spasming, the drill sergeant went over to him and proceeds to yell at him to get up etc, only to find the dude was having an epileptic seizure. Was a bizarre first day.

My first day was a bit bizarre as well. After we were worked over by 4 drill sergeants, they had us strip, shower and shave. It was a bloody mess as everyone cut their faces up. One guy had on a pair of Aladdin underwear on. They had him stand in the middle of the room and sing A Whole New World, he was crying his eyes out.

Later on we all laughed about it, but not that night.

#294 4 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Once the Boomers are gone then you will be the "Old Man".

#295 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Seems like it’s the right environment for Stern to offer a 15-20% off sale for a limited time to spark sales, keep their skilled people employed, help distributors weather the storm, and tilt softer demand to weaker competitors. Since most believe this is an extraordinary situation that will ease in a relatively short time, doubt it would undermine their overall marketing/pricing strategy. It would probably get me off the sidelines for a JP2 and/or DP.

I agree 100%! They never have a sale ever. Why not throw is great and loyal customers a bone once in awhile?

#296 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Thats way too logical....highly unlikely Stern will do anything except make more games that people won't buy, and try to force their distribution network to purchase games

#297 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Thats way too logical....highly unlikely Stern will do anything except make more games that people won't buy, and try to force their distribution network to purchase games

This sounds more like the Stern we all know.

#298 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Jesus! Sounds like a movie.
    WHATS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION? oh. Never mind.

#299 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Frankly, I don’t think stern is the one with pricing issues. $5500 for a new game may be just about right in a recession.

$6500-10,000 not so much.

#300 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Frankly, I don’t think stern is the one with pricing issues. $5500 for a new game may be just about right in a recession.
    $6500-10,000 not so much.

They make most of the profit on high end models, so 5% pro, 10% premium, 15% LE (20% Munsters). Doubt operators will be buying many pros until they recover from shutdowns.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 16.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-collapse/page/6?hl=hockeymutt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.