(Topic ID: 264212)

Is the pinball market about to collapse?

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 790 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    72E11B90-10A8-42A9-8864-7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200320_125736_979 (resized).jpg
    Stern (resized).jpg
    Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png
    D4CFA9AC-F413-4D25-92A0-B084CE002446 (resized).jpeg
    5A8A81E5-C345-4D8B-9647-8D79CAA13D31.gif
    DSCN6705 (resized).JPG
    idiot.jpg
    27DC9CBC-E99F-4DEE-84DA-C3BF0EC5CAD6 (resized).jpeg
    2CA58ADE-0930-408A-96D0-DC660A160DC2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN6704 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6703 (resized).JPG
    BUTTCOIN (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 16.
    #201 4 years ago

I don't need the Coronavirus to teach me a lesson about buying NIB games... ha!

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

I have to say that this could be the end of the road for jjp ... there on the ropes and this will take them down .. no ones gonna buy a $13,000 machine when they cant make their mortgage payment

What about the $7500 machines they are now selling such as Wonka SE and likely future SE's going forward? JJP doesn't sell a $13k pin.

#203 4 years ago

If you can not put it between a piece of bread and eat it you probably do not need it.

Unfortunately pinball is going to recess.

unprecedented times ahead.

Stay safe friends.

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from frankmac:

unprecedented times ahead.

Maybe, but maybe not. Like a short war, this may end up being good for the economy in the end. As soon as life gets back to normal, people will be clamoring for sports and everything else they missed out on over the last few weeks.

#205 4 years ago

On a positive note china, where it all started, have a significant drop in cases reported and death....... so lets be optimistic.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

On a positive note china, where it all started, have a significant drop in cases reported and death....... so lets be optimistic.

For their swift reaction and strict quarantining measures. Containment measures are unfolding very slowly here. I saw pictures today of crowds of thousands on the beaches in Florida for spring break.

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

For their swift reaction and strict quarantining measures. Containment measures are unfolding very slowly here. I saw pictures today of crowds of thousands on the beaches in Florida for spring break.

Containment is going to be difficult with this happening.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-generational-war-is-brewing-over-coronavirus-11584437401

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What about the $7500 machines they are now selling such as Wonka SE and likely future SE's going forward? JJP doesn't sell a $13k pin.

It has been a year they need to announce soon less than one a year after nine years can't keep a company running

#209 4 years ago
    Quoted from Duke-:

Pinball prices will dip in the short term due to the influx of machines about to hit the market. In 3 to 6 months the number of estate sales with pinball machines is going to explode.

This may not be true if factorys have to shut down the lines for a time

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

It has been a year they need to announce soon less than one a year after nine years can't keep a company running

Has JJP ever actually made any profit? Why should this be any different?

#211 4 years ago

I'm buying both stocks and pinball games so if anybody wants to sell these to me....

Baffle Ball
    Five Star Final Sr.
    Jacks Open
    Royal Flush
    Target Alpha
    Count-Down
    Alien Poker
    Eight Ball
    Hollywood Heat
    Banzai Run
    Theatre of Magic
    Title Fight
    Cactus Jacks
    Surf N Safari
    Street Fighter
    Cue Ball Wizard

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from PiNDoCToR:

I'm buying both stocks and pinball games so if anybody wants to sell these to me....
    Baffle Ball
    Five Star Final Sr.
    Jacks Open
    Royal Flush
    Target Alpha
    Count-Down
    Alien Poker
    Eight Ball
    Hollywood Heat
    Banzai Run
    Theatre of Magic
    Title Fight
    Cactus Jacks
    Surf N Safari
    Street Fighter
    Cue Ball Wizard

It's so crazy to hear how worried some people are about financial survival and being able to provide for their families.....and then there's this guy.

#213 4 years ago

That's because most of pinside is representative of people who are older, made a lot more money than most, and paid off their mortgages. Different people at different points in their lives.

#214 4 years ago
    Quoted from PiNDoCToR:

Baffle Ball
    Five Star Final Sr.
    Jacks Open
    Royal Flush
    Target Alpha
    Count-Down
    Alien Poker
    Eight Ball
    Hollywood Heat
    Banzai Run
    Theatre of Magic
    Title Fight
    Cactus Jacks
    Surf N Safari
    Street Fighter
    Cue Ball Wizard

sorry but your about a week late on this..my kids already put sticky notes on my stuff with their names on them

#215 4 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

sorry but your about a week late on this..my kids already put sticky notes on my stuff with their names on them

Turtle club!

#216 4 years ago

This why we maybe headed for a total quarantine.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

It's so crazy to hear how worried some people are about financial survival and being able to provide for their families.....and then there's this guy.

Is what it is, I with more of us were in the position to do this . Me personally, im thankful to still have a job and be healthy, but if you have the means to buy every pinball machine in history, hell yeah! Just invite me over when its safe to move again.

#218 4 years ago

Not that it's a sign of collapse but there has been a large uptick in machine for sale ads over the past 24 - 72 hours.

#219 4 years ago

Well, Spooky appears to be in good shape.

#220 4 years ago

"Yes" sry to say, imo

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from PiNDoCToR:

Baffle Ball
    Five Star Final Sr.
    Jacks Open
    Royal Flush
    Target Alpha
    Count-Down
    Alien Poker
    Eight Ball
    Hollywood Heat
    Banzai Run
    Theatre of Magic
    Title Fight
    Cactus Jacks
    Surf N Safari
    Street Fighter
    Cue Ball Wizard

I have a Baffle Ball for 40 years....whats the going rate?

#222 4 years ago

Pinball survived 9/11 and the 2008 recession. I'm sure it will carry on.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Ah, no. Of all the things to worry about during this pandemic/recession, my pinball collection is literally the last thing.
    In fact it’s going to be a great outlet if/when things get tough.
    (Disclaimer: your individual economic circumstances may differ and you should seek external financial advice before buying or selling pinball machines during a pandemic).

It’s just a discussion... no one ever said it truly matters. This is a pinball discussion forum, hence discussing it. For me, pinball ranks WAY down the list of important things in my life. I love it, but there are many - many - things I value and love more.

#224 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

It’s just a discussion... no one ever said it truly matters. This is a pinball discussion forum, hence discussing it. For me, pinball ranks WAY down the list of important things in my life. I love it, but there are many - many - things I value and love more.

Don't take this the wrong way but this must be semi important because you. You PM'd me about this topic when I was having a hard time selling my RZ a few years ago.

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have a Baffle Ball for 40 years....whats the going rate?

Not sure but many of the "antiquey" machines, pre-war, etc have such a limited market that they don't go for big money. I think there was a pretty decent Five Star Final at the York show for a few hundred bucks or less but I want a nicer one. I bought a super mint 1931 Whiffle Board that was from the Baltimore pinball museum for $400 or less.

#226 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Ok, just curious if anyone knows if Stern still has their line going and what is still rolling off of it? If so, are distributors required to buy and stock this stuff for them?
    I agree with those that are saying NIB sales are likely going to take a hit over the next several months. Guessing they significantly slow down or stop the manufacturing line for the time being.
    Anyone here already canceling any planned orders?

I can't really answer this officialy but for Stern I think games like JP2 may be a savings grace for them right now as they had/have a backorder of games lined up that are already sold. For instance, I ordered mine basically Jan 1 and as of last week am still being told I'm in line and expected to see delivery in April. I'm sure some people have canceled but I have to assume a good chunk of us are riding it out otherwise I'd get a call stating my game was shipping early.

I think the biggest risk to Stern (or any of the mfg's) right now is the workforce. At what point are they forced to close their doors for social distancing? That would really stink, not because I can't get my game but for those employees that are now out of work. Most are hourly waged so being shut down would be more painful for them then it would be for us not getting our games.

#227 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

A lot of recent growth has been from one and done newbs buying a game for their game room. They’re not on Pinside, and they’re not obsessed like we are.

Lucky bastards for now, the motto is "get one and you're never done" so if they get one escape is futile.

#228 4 years ago

I believe pinball sales will take a sabbatical. I pulled my Tomcat add believing it’s a bad time to sell because of what’s happening. Don’t want to be trolled by buyers thinking I may be wounded. I’m just gonna be a happy idiot and play.

#229 4 years ago
    Quoted from PiNDoCToR:

I'm buying both stocks and pinball games s

So what stocks?? (a clue to if you are know what you are talking about). Care to say?

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I can't really answer this officialy but for Stern I think games like JP2 may be a savings grace for them right now as they had/have a backorder of games lined up that are already sold. For instance, I ordered mine basically Jan 1 and as of last week am still being told I'm in line and expected to see delivery in April. I'm sure some people have canceled but I have to assume a good chunk of us are riding it out otherwise I'd get a call stating my game was shipping early.
    I think the biggest risk to Stern (or any of the mfg's) right now is the workforce. At what point are they forced to close their doors for social distancing? That would really stink, not because I can't get my game but for those employees that are now out of work. Most are hourly waged so being shut down would be more painful for them then it would be for us not getting our games.

It will happen if one of their workers tests positive for the virus. At that point I think they would have to shutdown for at least a couple weeks.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

So what stocks?? (a clue to if you are know what you are talking about). Care to say?

I wish I had a clue. I can tell you how to rebuild a variety of flippers, but that's about the extent of my knowledge that has any value. Well that and classic hip-hop. I could go on for days about that. Rakim is the God MC.

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

ZOOM

#233 4 years ago

soon....

covid-crash (resized).pngcovid-crash (resized).png
    #234 4 years ago

Up very well, for me.....dont know where it will go:

NASDAQ: MRNA
    Vaccine

#235 4 years ago

Folks, hunker down and ride it out...don't panic...Pinball Pricing will hold its own...and anyone worried and wants to sell at a loss, can do it if they must. These machines were never built or designed to be an investment! They were designed to make MONEY for the buyers (operators and vendors)...and now that reversed and almost all machines are in private homes and holding their own! Keep watching our channel..we have some edited and live videos coming up this coming week too! Todd

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from PiNDoCToR:

Not sure but many of the "antiquey" machines, pre-war, etc have such a limited market that they don't go for big money. I think there was a pretty decent Five Star Final at the York show for a few hundred bucks or less but I want a nicer one. I bought a super mint 1931 Whiffle Board that was from the Baltimore pinball museum for $400 or less.

Id agree...somewhere between $400 and $600 is the number, with condition etc.
    Im not at $400, but between $520 and $550 plus shipping is my number...
    Shoot me a PM interested.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Don't take this the wrong way but this must be semi important because you. You PM'd me about this topic when I was having a hard time selling my RZ a few years ago.

It should be a topic of interest for anyone that has money in games... of course it’s Semi important. it’s a hobby I enjoy. But it’s hardly more important than a lot of things in my life.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not that it's a sign of collapse but there has been a large uptick in machine for sale ads over the past 24 - 72 hours.

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Pinball survived 9/11 and the 2008 recession. I'm sure it will carry on.

It did not survive by much the one manufacturer had to be bailed out

#240 4 years ago

I’d be happy to help the business if CG would ship my MM Royal......

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

It should be a topic of interest for anyone that has money in games... of course it’s Semi important. it’s a hobby I enjoy. But it’s hardly more important than a lot of things in my life.

I get it and do think about once in a blue moon but I cant help notice that whenever there is a "Price check", "For Sale" or "Is this the pinball bubble" thread you're right there. So, saying that its not important is a bit bs'y. Maybe Robin can make this a sticky thread for the constant pinball bubble speculation here at Pinside.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-pinball-prices-come-down-?tu=27dnast
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/increasing-prices-good-for-pinball?tu=27dnast
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/used-pinball-prices-what-is-going-on?tu=27dnast
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-this-the-bubble?tu=27dnast
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/increasing-prices-terrible-for-pinball?tu=27dnast
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/increasing-prices-good-for-pinball?tu=27dnast

#242 4 years ago

Pinball has seen hard times more than once and has managed to pull through so I don't foresee to many folding up.

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from belairjoe:

smart kids tick you into putting them into your E-will.

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

That is what I'm wondering. Even for games sold, is the line still going and able to make them? Any distributors with insight that can chime in?

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Yup. I've been hearing about how it's all getting better in China for a week.

It isn't just going to magically follow the path of China while people are crowding beaches at Spring Break.

#246 4 years ago

So any deals yet?

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yup. I've been hearing about how it's all getting better in China for a week.
    It isn't just going to magically follow the path of China while people are crowding beaches at Spring Break.

Quarantine them to the beaches? Not the worst quarantine...unless hurricane season comes.

#248 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

You are correct, I lost my house in a Tornado and I can keep my senses enough to chill out and keep calm and I for sure am not worrying about some stupid virus. I have much larger things to worry about. If someone wants to sell me a TWD premium for $4000 I will for sure jump on it. This thing will die down in a few weeks and we can get back to normal life. I refuse to live in fear and let emotion control my life. If you do work in the travel or entertainment industry you will probably take a hit in the short term and that sucks, but life can suck sometimes like me losing my house in a tornado.

how you doing woody? you rebuilding, or able to save any of whats standing,or just starting over?

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

No matter how uninformed, disgusting and offensive you may come off on this topic I hope all your friends and family stay healthy!
    That goes for you too. Stay healthy so you can buy many, many games...then sell them 90 days later

Not sure why I bother responding (edited)

#250 4 years ago

This must be that fun friendly positive atmosphere I keep being told this place is about.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 16.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-collapse/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.