(Topic ID: 264212)

Is the pinball market about to collapse?

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 790 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    72E11B90-10A8-42A9-8864-7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200320_125736_979 (resized).jpg
    Stern (resized).jpg
    Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png
    D4CFA9AC-F413-4D25-92A0-B084CE002446 (resized).jpeg
    5A8A81E5-C345-4D8B-9647-8D79CAA13D31.gif
    DSCN6705 (resized).JPG
    idiot.jpg
    27DC9CBC-E99F-4DEE-84DA-C3BF0EC5CAD6 (resized).jpeg
    2CA58ADE-0930-408A-96D0-DC660A160DC2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN6704 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6703 (resized).JPG
    BUTTCOIN (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

This is all just a short term issue....things will be back to normal in a few months, and who gives a shit if these pinball machines drop in price...most are over priced anyways.

Those who have tens of thousands in disposable income are going to make out like bandits in a few months

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

OK, guys, I am buying ALL pins you guys are selling off cheap. Please PM me

Uh Ron, you don’t even have a house to put them in! I don’t think people whose job is unaffected by the pandemic are comprehending the seriousness of the situation. My son works for a ski area.. it’s closed, my son in law works for Southwest Airlines and his job is in serious jeopardy. Restaurants, transportation, bars, theaters, sports workers.. these people all will have no money to pay their mortgages or car loans. You bet they will be interested in selling a machine cheaply to keep a roof over their heads. That’s not hype or panic.. The only ones to benefit from the existing economy is possibly Amazon and the medical industry.

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Powdevil:

Uh Ron, you don’t even have a house to put them in! I don’t think people whose job is unaffected by the pandemic are comprehending the seriousness of the situation. My son works for a ski area.. it’s closed, my son in law works for Southwest Airlines and his job is in serious jeopardy. Restaurants, transportation, bars, theaters, sports workers.. these people all will have no money to pay their mortgages or car loans. You bet they will be interested in selling a machine cheaply to keep a roof over their heads. That’s not hype or panic.. The only ones to benefit from the existing economy is possibly Amazon and the medical industry.

You are correct, I lost my house in a Tornado and I can keep my senses enough to chill out and keep calm and I for sure am not worrying about some stupid virus. I have much larger things to worry about. If someone wants to sell me a TWD premium for $4000 I will for sure jump on it. This thing will die down in a few weeks and we can get back to normal life. I refuse to live in fear and let emotion control my life. If you do work in the travel or entertainment industry you will probably take a hit in the short term and that sucks, but life can suck sometimes like me losing my house in a tornado.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

You are correct, I lost my house in a Tornado and I can keep my senses enough to chill out and keep calm and I for sure am not worrying about some stupid virus. I have much larger things to worry about. If someone wants to sell me a TWD premium for $4000 I will for sure jump on it. This thing will die down in a few weeks and we can get back to normal life. I refuse to live in fear and let emotion control my life. If you do work in the travel or entertainment industry you will probably take a hit in the short term and that sucks, but life can suck sometimes like me losing my house in a tornado.

Fear and anxiety are different things.

I'm not gonna think less of anybody who has anxiety right now.

#105 4 years ago

A few weeks is an optimistic outlook and I certainly hope you’re right. I have serious doubts.

#106 4 years ago

People with this mind set should be fined. Just stay home and STFU already about "not living in fear over some stupid virus". Thats a selfish asshole point of view that is going to get us in a lot of trouble. I had to get into arguments today with people at work about the same thing. The hospitals need to stay below capacity to keep up. If people just go running around doing whatever they want were going to have more and more cases. I dont get why this is hard to understand. Just stay inside. Please.

#107 4 years ago

To answer the original thread title, the answer is most likely no. Collapse is a catastrophic event, implying that the hobby will essentially approach zero in nearly all metrics.

Realistically, a meaningful percentage of hobbyists here are going to be effected by this pandemic. Industries are being hit hard, and jobs will be lost. Whether you live paycheck to paycheck or have plenty stored in your coffers, this can and will impact your willingness to throw large sums of money at an entertainment hobby. Once the impacts are really felt, and people start to shift assets from extraneous things such as pinball collections into liquidity to cover basic living expenses, the used market will certainly be driven down by the influx of supply.

To think that the market for NIB and used machines is going to truck along unscathed is just wishful thinking. Reality should be sinking in by now.

What we are really in for here is a correction. Prices will be driven back to sane levels, with the average buyer being more price sensitive. The more useful discussion here would be what is the amount. 15%, 25%, more?

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

People with this mind set should be fined. Just stay home and STFU already about "not living in fear over some stupid virus". Thats a selfish asshole point of view that is going to get us in a lot of trouble. I had to get into arguments today with people at work about the same thing. The hospitals need to stay below capacity to keep up. If people just go running around doing whatever they want were going to have more and more cases. I dont get why this is hard to understand. Just stay inside. Please.

Did I say go out and hit the town every night? NO. Be smart, Use wisdom, only leave if necessary, etc.... I have a house to rebuild and a business to run and securing safe housing for my family because we lost our home. Do you get the damn picture? This is the worst possible time for something like this to happen to me, tornado was 12 days ago. This totally slows down a process that is already slow. Get over yourself.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinLen83:

Those who have tens of thousands in disposable income are going to make out like bandits in a few months

yep....great time to buy

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Did I say go out and hit the town every night? NO. Be smart, Use wisdom, only leave if necessary, etc.... I have a house to rebuild and a business to run and securing safe housing for my family because we lost our home. Do you get the damn picture? This is the worst possible time for something like this to happen to me, tornado was 12 days ago. This totally slows down a process that is already slow. Get over yourself.

Dude,

Talk about getting hit when you're down. This has been a really crappy month for you. Hope things get better for you.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Dude,
    Talk about getting hit when you're down. This has been a really crappy month for you. Hope things get better for you.

all good man, full speed ahead. lots going on, but got to take care of business. we have been super blessed by friends, family, and complete strangers. Tennessee is full of some good people.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

OK, guys, I am buying ALL pins you guys are selling off cheap. Please PM me

Yep, there are a bunch of us ready to jump on good deals. Myself included.

#113 4 years ago

1. Pinball collectors are above median age, and going to get hit harder by this virus, relatively. There will be extra machines on the market from estate sales and a few less people to buy them.

2. Investments of all types are going to tank, even more than they already have, and it will take a decade to recover. Some people will need to sell machines, so extra machines will be going to market.

3. Isolation requirements are going to cause a lot of bars / pool halls / arcades to go into bankruptcy. There will be extra machines on the market.

These three facts will combine to place huge downward pressure on the market. So yeah, the market is going to be affected. But they're not investments, they're toys. You'll still be able to play them, or sell them at lower prices and use the cash to buy into other hobbies that will also have deflated costs to entry, eg: sailboats or something.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

We are headed for a depression. Sorry to break it to everyone.
    So yes I feel it will collapse. The good news it will come back again.
    Manufactures will close their doors. Location pinball will go gangbusters as people will seek cheap entertainment.
    A few years down the road mfrs will make games again.

There is no fundamental economic factor that would lead to a depression. The coronavirus is a temporary variable on the world economy. It will not have a lasting effect. The Great Recession was a different event all together. There were economic factors at play, not environmental ones.

The most lasting effect of the coronavirus is the, now likely, change in presidency.

#115 4 years ago

most folks with a pension just took a huge hit. Confidence is low.

Pinball Market will slow down, I think all the manufacturers should be fine but I'd expect lay offs. Second user market for older pins probably gets harder as second user Stern games come down in price to cope with the shortage of cash.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

1. Pinball collectors are above median age, and going to get hit harder by this virus, relatively. There will be extra machines on the market from estate sales and a few less people to buy them.
    2. Investments of all types are going to tank, even more than they already have, and it will take a decade to recover. Some people will need to sell machines, so extra machines will be going to market.
    3. Isolation requirements are going to cause a lot of bars / pool halls / arcades to go into bankruptcy. There will be extra machines on the market.
    These three facts will combine to place huge downward pressure on the market. So yeah, the market is going to be affected. But they're not investments, they're toys. You'll still be able to play them, or sell them at lower prices and use the cash to buy into other hobbies that will also have deflated costs to entry, eg: sailboats or something.

zero chance it takes a decade to recover....everything will be back to par in 6 months

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

People with this mind set should be fined.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
    #118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, here is a little “update” on the pinball market. This covid19 thing is a major risk to everything in the economy. My wife is a VP at the worlds largest health insurer, and they are taking this VERY seriously. They have shelved all internal work NOT supporting claims processing, they are mobilizing their entire workforce to do nothing but handle covid19 and corona virus related issues. They have a “get to the office” policy that is calling all workers to report to work, all work from home is cancelled, unless you are an approved tele-commuter. So, those prognosticators, yeah those health insurance handicappers are betting on a blow out overwhelming of their insurance claim systems, that this will push the system not only to the brink, but well past it. They are expecting at least 2 quarters of recession, and major hits to all finacial markets, their own included.
    These are the people who bet on how many people will get sick, need treatment, or will die. So anyone thinking this will blow over anytime sooner than 6 months are betting against what the worlds largest health insurance provider is betting on.
    If you think this won’t impact the pinball market, I enjoy your enthusiasm, but I am not in the market for any NIB pinball any time soon, and the secondary market will at first heat up as people will try and buy up other people’s poor decisions at bargain prices, but only the rich will be buying eventually, NIB or not. The disposable income glut is going to dry up fast.

Sorry, but the world's largest health insurer is part of the sector that often gets it wrong. Their issue is that they make bets on getting to keep premiums when more members are well than sick. This is one of those times that bet doesn't pay off. It's no different than when insurers get hit with hurricanes, etc. and have huge payouts that erode their reserves.

The economic factors for an insurer and nowhere near those of the rest of the general economy. This is going to hurt, but its unlikely to cripple for a prolonged period of time (greater than 6-9 months).

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

unlikely to cripple for a prolonged period of time (greater than 6-9 months)

I’ve not got any dog in this race, you can do what you like. I’m just telling you what I know. Use the info, don’t use it. Don’t care. You think this is not going to hurt the economy? Great. I will do what I need to do. Notice 2 quarters is equal to 6 months... You have a nice day.

#120 4 years ago

I feel like even before the CoVid19 outbreak, I was seeing prices slowly go down (albeit I got into this while prices were SKYHIGH and unreasonable).

I would back up what another person said is that people should stop thinking about games as investments. Grabbing a game for a killer price according to market value is one thing, but the idea that ANYTHING let alone something like pinball has a completely consistent linear price increase because it saw a spike at one point is idiotic.

Whenever I get a game, I always figure I'm going to accidentally do something that will absolutely demolish the value of it by mistake. Plug in all the boards wrong. Drop it. Set it on fire by mistake or on purpose.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

zero chance it takes a decade to recover....everything will be back to par in 6 months

While I hope you are right, common sense might say your comment is not going to age well.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Dude,

He’s had a tough time but it could get worse.. Tennessee has 56 cases of covid-19 right now spread over 10 different counties and some idiot brothers in Tennessee decided to buy up all the hand sanitizer they could find to resell at a massive profit. Nashville is ripe to become the next Seattle.

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

While I hope you are right, common sense says your comment is not going to age well.

Common sense says buy now if u have cash reserves....

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Whenever I get a game, I always figure I'm going to accidentally do something that will absolutely demolish the value of it by mistake. Plug in all the boards wrong. Drop it. Set it on fire by mistake or on purpose.

I have never bought a pinball machine as an investment except the very first one I bought, Pinbot over 25 years ago. But it wasn’t an investment for the appreciation of the value of the machine, it was to help curb my on site pinball playing bill. Back then, we figured a $750 dollar investment would pay for itself in reduced cost of play. Now it takes over 3000 games to justify it at a $0.25 a pop, but I was spending about $50 bucks a month on playing at the arcades... doesn’t take long to pay off $750 at 50 bucks a month. Ever since buying it, though, I have had that same feeling when I work on them... “one wrong move and the transistor gets it!” or board, relay, coil, or cabinet on fire, house burned down....

#125 4 years ago

Pinball has historically been an investment in regards to routing games and collecting coin, good times or bad. With all the bars and other places closing for who knows how long, yes this will hurt pinball as an investment.

#126 4 years ago

Here is what is going to happen ... take it to the bank :

1> Some pins will go up in value.
    2> Some pins will go down in value.
    3> Some pins will stay the same in value.
    4> Nobody is ever going to make a reproduction Nine Ball playfield, and that makes me very sad!

That is all.

#127 4 years ago

The real impact will be to the manufactures who can't move product, have reduced cash flow, and can't pay their debt obligations.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The real impact will be to the manufactures who can't move product, have reduced cash flow, and can't pay their debt obligations.

Bingo...

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I wouldn't want to be a distributor right now either. The margins for them are so low that if you're not moving a large volume of games you're in trouble.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

they're not investments, they're toys.

An Investment is ANYTHING that you buy then sell and make money. Socks can be an investment. You buy at the right time for the right price then sell at the right time and the right price. I have made money on everything from food to a bucket of bolts. Pinball can be an investment just like anything else. Times like this can create investment opportunities in anything. There will be people looking to put money into unusual places. Cars, land, houses, mason jars ect... I believe you have to open yourself to opportunities to take advantage of them.

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Socks can be an investment.

Socks? Really?

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Socks? Really?

well if toilet paper and hand sanitizer is an investment than why not socks

#133 4 years ago

Toilet paper and hand sanitizer shouldn’t be bought in bulk.. you gotta the line somewhere!

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Socks can be an investment.

Glad I stocked up on those. Don't want my tootsies to get cold.

#135 4 years ago

I just hope I can get a Wonka playfield before they fold.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

everything will be back to par in 6 months

Perhaps even sooner! Yes there will be collateral Damage. Just learned today that they are testing (today) a new Vaccine for (human trials) in the US at Kaiser in Washington state. The drug is based on the Genome Sequence of the virus that was obtained in China in January. We are going to catch up real soon. There are other antiviral drugs that will stop the spread in the body that are real close to being approved. One of them that has real promise is Remdesivir. There are also 2 minute tests that are waiting for FDA approval that will be showing up real soon as well. We (the US) are gonna get a handle on this thing.

#137 4 years ago

One of the advantages of being a low end EM pinball owner. Most of my games drop 25% in value, OMG I've lost a few hundred dollars.

#138 4 years ago

Just to clarify to the folks that downvoted my original post: I didn’t start this thread as another “pinball bubble” thread... or to promote doom and gloom. I did it because we are entering some uncharted waters both from a pinball market health perspective (which is the healthiest it’s been in decades) and financial market troubled waters.

Just thought we could all have a mature conversation about what might happen here. Obviously, with the market in free fall every other day and economic conditions hindered in the most unusual way Imaginable ... the question must enter your mind.

That’s all... not trying to ruffle feathers or be a d***. Of course, this is the internet, so you’re free to judge this however you want.

I think we’ve heard some really intelligent answers. A lot has changed (here in Maryland), since I posted the first post... all restaurants, bars, theaters, and gyms are closing tonight. Not sure when they’ll reopen. I believe the same is true in CT, NJ, and NY.

I wish everyone in the service industry... and the industries that support them... the very best of luck. I’m really worried about the impacts these kinds of forced restrictions will have on folks that might not have a lot of wiggle room.

#139 4 years ago

The people eating hand to mouth are in line to get steamrollered... the rich are getting their wealth hammered, but the ultra rich are just going to get even wealthier as the have capital to buy all these stocks at pennies on the dollar and wait. The ultra rich are good at this, and all that money the low end is loosing, both in 401k and wages, will end up in the ultra riches’ pockets, it always does.

#140 4 years ago

It’s gonna tank ! Sell me your games
    30% of value now

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

No way that's true, and if I were you'd I'd seriously take a step back and look at the situation again... Several areas of the country about about to go through a period that will kill potentially thousands of businesses and those ripple effects will take YEARS to recover from, certainly not months. Decade? Yeah that may be a bit long but 6 months is comical... We're still going to be dealing with this 6 months from now much less "back to par".

Jeff

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from whitey:

It’s gonna tank ! Sell me your games
    30% of value now

I get that this post is tongue-in-cheek, but, truly, if the market is glutted, how can game values not be down at least partially? I mean, who will pay last month's prices for all these games? No one! So, just how much value has been lost in the pinball market? 10%? Is your MET Premium in stock trim that was worth $6K last month today worth $5.4K? I know that sounds like a steep/unfair decline, but how else does a seller compete when there are now dozens of games landing in the classifieds daily?

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Just to clarify to the folks that downvoted my original post: I didn’t start this thread as another “pinball bubble” thread... or to promote doom and gloom. I did it because we are entering some uncharted waters both from a pinball market health perspective (which is the healthiest it’s been in decades) and financial market troubled waters.
    Just thought we could all have a mature conversation about what might happen here. Obviously, with the market in free fall every other day and economic conditions hindered in the most unusual way Imaginable ... the question must enter your mind.
    That’s all... not trying to ruffle feathers or be a d***. Of course, this is the internet, so you’re free to judge this however you want.
    I think we’ve heard some really intelligent answers. A lot has changed (here in Maryland), since I posted the first post... all restaurants, bars, theaters, and gyms are closing tonight. Not sure when they’ll reopen. I believe the same is true in CT, NJ, and NY.
    I wish everyone in the service industry... and the industries that support them... the very best of luck. I’m really worried about the impacts these kinds of forced restrictions will have on folks that might not have a lot of wiggle room.

OK between working from home, buying some more chef boy r dee, and culling my Facebook friends list, I'll address this!

You are absolutely right, this isn't a "price bubble" thread, it's completely different. In the annoying monthly "bubble burst" threads, I've always been consistent: No, this isn't a price bubble. No it isn't going to burst. None of the things your thread suggests is supported by any current evidence. But I've always said If the economy completely collapses across the board, that's a different story.

Well, the economy looks like shit right now, so no doubt, pin prices may take a hit. Everything may take a hit. Pointless to worry about right now. I'll remind everybody what happened in the last recession; pinball machine prices did not drop significantly. People just held on to their stuff and everything slowed down.

Pinball people are very stubborn, and tend to skew "cheap" even if they have money. They aren't going to sell games at a loss unless they absolutely have to.

The difference between now and then is the massive influx of new people, and the massive amount of money they've spent in a short time amassing brand new and high end games. No idea what's gonna happen there. Again, I don't see a sell off unless people get desperate. And if it gets that bad, despite what some of you seem to flippantly think, you WON'T be reaping the rewards, because you'll have the same problems the sellers do. You aren't gonna see WOZ for sale for $4,000 tomorrow, which seems to be what many of you think happens when a "bubble bursts." By the time you do see stuff like that, you may very well not think that a $4,000 WOZ is such a screaming bargain, when you have much more important things to worry about.

Good luck everybody!

#144 4 years ago

Every pinball machine is worth what you or anyone else were willing to pay for it. Until it comes time you want to sell it.

#145 4 years ago
    F71CCB5E-66A3-4402-88FF-3007BCE0F974 (resized).jpegF71CCB5E-66A3-4402-88FF-3007BCE0F974 (resized).jpeg
    #146 4 years ago

I'm not worried about the prices of my current pins going down. I am maybe a bit concerned about the pin I am currently waiting until december to get though and what happens between now and then. 1st world problems.

#147 4 years ago

Don't pre-pay for anything in pinball EVER. There are literally dozens of examples as to why. NIB sales are going to tank hard for a few months.

#148 4 years ago

Now if we can just start a rumour that pinball machines are better than toilet paper during a pandemic we'll all be rich.

#149 4 years ago

Lets me thankful we have Pinball !
    I’m gonna shop games n play

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Except the economy is in way better shape then it was in 08-09. The impact to the economy hasn't been building for years unlike in 08-09. We have record unemployment and just 2 weeks ago another great jobs report came out.

This seems misleading. Most of the jobs are minimum wage, part time. And people have several at a time.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-collapse/page/3?hl=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.