(Topic ID: 264212)

Is the pinball market about to collapse?

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 790 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    72E11B90-10A8-42A9-8864-7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200320_125736_979 (resized).jpg
    Stern (resized).jpg
    Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png
    D4CFA9AC-F413-4D25-92A0-B084CE002446 (resized).jpeg
    5A8A81E5-C345-4D8B-9647-8D79CAA13D31.gif
    DSCN6705 (resized).JPG
    idiot.jpg
    27DC9CBC-E99F-4DEE-84DA-C3BF0EC5CAD6 (resized).jpeg
    2CA58ADE-0930-408A-96D0-DC660A160DC2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN6704 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6703 (resized).JPG
    BUTTCOIN (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 16.
    #751 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I appreciate the concern, but our governor is a moron.

100% Correct

#752 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I appreciate the concern, but our governor is a moron.

I respectfully disagree. Perfect? Nope, not even close. Professional virtue signaler? Yep, agree there. Moron? No, not even close...

Jeff

#753 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

0.1%. In Italy Covid19 is tracking at 6-8%. This isn't the flu and would likely kill 1-2 million if 50% of the country gets it. Looking more like Spanish flu numbers right now.

Yeah that's scary. Here in the U.S the mortality is much lower right now and hopefully it stays that way. This is why all of the extreme measures are being taken.

Regarding the Spanish Flu mortality rate in the U.S from Wikipedia.

"In the U.S., about 28% of the population of 105 million became infected, and 500,000 to 675,000 died (0.48 to 0.64 percent of the population)"

#754 4 years ago

I usually don’t like to get involved in these types of threads as they always seem to turn pollical but comparing the USA to Italy is like comparing apples to oranges. Italy has a much older population, they are part of the EU and if you have ever traveled to the EU the screening for EU members and foreigners is totally different, there is basically none for EU members.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Italy/United-States/People
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/covid-19-coronavirus-epidemiology-expert-explains-italian-death-rate/

I’m in my early 50’s, I lived in North Jersey during 9/11, I lived in Phila during 2008, so I’ve been through 2 very tough economic times and we have been able to bounce back both times.

I believe this is the best place to be right now under these new pressures with our abilities and resources. Admittedly this is uncharted waters for many but having lived though some difficult times I have prepared myself and my family for some rough times. I always have enough food and supplies on hand to last 2 weeks +/- and enough money to last 3 months +/- and anything beyond that I can consider disposable income. I bought my pins knowing that this was a guilty pleasure and not as an investment. I would never buy a pin on credit or a NIB as great as the temptation or hype made me want to. I’m not judging anyone for doing this, but I just couldn’t justify that kind of purchase.

These are tough life lessons I have learned through the years and as a country we have had it so good and so easy that these lessons are quickly forgotten.

I remember growing up making fun of my Grandmom who lived in Phila and always had a freezer full of food and a pantry full of canned goods, but she grew up in the great depression so I guess she thought something like that could happen again.

We will get through this, we will be better and hopefully more unified when this ends, and it will end, we will remember what is important and we will be stronger for it. Pinball will be there after this ends even if it the value of our games drops.

So please stay strong, stay healthy, be kind to others and think about how you can help others who are suffering more than you. We can all do our part, as small as it may be, to help get past this scary time.

#755 4 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Duuuude!
    A San Luis Obispo O-DIN?!?!??

Actually, we are kindred spirits as well as being teenagers in the glorious '70s, and we share tastes in pinball, music, 70s popular culture, and... Other things. I still play with my toys, though.

#756 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

What the hell is your door made of, human flesh? It looks like the Necronomicon . It's cool though, I like it.

60s era mobile home door! So old school and hideous that I like it too!

#757 4 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg

Does that mean I could possibly get some fresh n’ SLO tasty O-Din bread to go with my already tasty O-Din lasagna?
    Drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, drool

That's a big 10-4 Big Shooter. I'm up to 3 a day now since I'm cyberteaching now, so gimme a drive-by and I'll throw you a loaf or two... Mebbe some frozen waffles?

#758 4 years ago

Corrections happen and humanity is at it's best during the most difficult times. As with all of the markets, a pinball reset is going to happen. Might already have. There isn't many safe haven's in this one. Cash is King right now and hopefully Greenbacks remain the world currency. Looks like the Greenback is going to be a strong standard through this and that is great for the USA.

#759 4 years ago

So... the question … Is the Pinball Market About To Collapse?

#760 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Someone should start a thread about that...

#761 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Someone should start a thread about that...

Nah. might go Viral

#762 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Still not yet. But there’s still time

Made it past this week ok though

#763 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Does not appear so. I see lots of games selling. Maybe a few more on the market, but anything priced even reasonable is gone quickly it seems

#764 4 years ago
    Quoted from tiltmonster:

I usually don’t like to get involved in these types of threads as they always seem to turn pollical but comparing the USA to Italy is like comparing apples to oranges. Italy has a much older population...

From the link you posted:

Population aged 65 or over
    Italy: 17.96 million
    USA: 123.43 million 7 times more than Italy

Population aged 80 or over
    Italy: 8.96 million
    USA: 51.64 million 6 times more than Italy

How am I interpreting that data incorrectly? In what way does "Italy have a much older population"?!

Here's additional stats that aren't in the US's favor:

Physicians density
    Italy: 3.8 physicians/1,000 population 57% more than United States
    USA: 2.42 physicians/1,000 population

Hospital bed density
    Italy: 3.5 beds/1,000 population 17% more than United States
    USA: 3 beds/1,000 population

#765 4 years ago
    Quoted from BobSacamano:

USA: 123.43 million
    7 times more than Italy

USA: 51.64 million
    6 times more than Italy
    How am I interpreting that data incorrectly? In what way does "Italy have a much older population"?!

Physicians density
    Italy: 3.8 physicians/1,000 population
    57% more than United States
    USA: 2.42 physicians/1,000 population

Hospital bed density
    Italy: 3.5 beds/1,000 population
    17% more than United States
    USA: 3 beds/1,000 population

Not my data, I do not make the statics

49.61 years Ranked 28th. 12% more than United States 44.38 years
    Ranked 117th.

60.48 million (2018) Italy population

327.2 million (2018)

#766 4 years ago
    Quoted from tiltmonster:

Not my data, I do not make the statics
    49.61 years Ranked 28th. 12% more than United States 44.38 years
    Ranked 117th.

The US has 5 times the population of Italy. Go back and read the stats I copied and pasted from the URL you linked to, and try to explain to me how Italy has more people "over the age of 65" and/or "over the age of 80" than the US, because that doesn't appear to be the case.

#767 4 years ago

An expected 2.25 million Americans are set to file for unemployment next week. Let that sink in for a second.

#768 4 years ago
    Quoted from BobSacamano:

An average age means
    nothingwhen the US has 5 times the population of Italy. Go back and read the stats I copied and pasted from the URL you linked to, and try to explain to me how Italy has more people "over the age of 65" and/or "over the age of 80" than the US.

I'm not trying to argue and I don't mean to sound rude but you're a perfect example of why I usually stay away from these threads. Italy has an older population, Ranked 28th, 12% more than United States. Please stay healthy and take care of your family.

#769 4 years ago
    Quoted from BobSacamano:

USA: 123.43 million
    7 times more than Italy

USA: 51.64 million
    6 times more than Italy

The US Census Bureau and the US Department of Health and Human Services has very different numbers than you show. If we use that data as a comparison, Italy is almost double the US in >65 as a %.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2017/cb17-ff08.html
    https://acl.gov/sites/default/files/Aging%20and%20Disability%20in%20America/2017OlderAmericansProfile.pdf

I really don't know which #s are accurate to be honest though.

#770 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:The US Census Bureau and the US Department of Health and Human Services has very different numbers than you show. If we use that data as a comparison, Italy is almost double the US in >65 as a %.
    https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2017/cb17-ff08.html
    https://acl.gov/sites/default/files/Aging%20and%20Disability%20in%20America/2017OlderAmericansProfile.pdf
    I really don't know which #s are accurate to be honest though.

Yeah, I don't know which numbers are accurate either. I'm just going off the data tables in the link he provided. I did a double take when I saw 123 million listed under "65 and older", because another page on the same site has this data from 2020:

Number of people 65 years old and older.
    1) China 167.69 million
    2) India 85.21 million
    3) United States 55.94 million
    4) Japan 35.88 million
    5) Russia 20.73 million
    6) Brazil 20.14 million
    7) Germany 18.9 million
    Indonesia 17 million
    9) Italy 14.02 million
    10) France 13.54 million
    11) United Kingdom 12.39 million

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/People/Age-distribution/Population-aged-65-or-over/Total

It's possible the data in the nicely formed "comparison" table is messed up.

#771 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

0.1%. In Italy Covid19 is tracking at 6-8%. This isn't the flu and would likely kill 1-2 million if 50% of the country gets it. Looking more like Spanish flu numbers right now.

I don't like those odds at all...

#772 4 years ago
    Quoted from tiltmonster:

I'm not trying to argue and I don't mean to sound rude but you're a perfect example of why I usually stay away from these threads. Italy has an older population, Ranked 28th, 12% more than United States. Please stay healthy and take care of your family.

You said comparing Italy to the US was like comparing "apples to oranges" and cited "Italy has a much older population" that the US.

I asked you why the "average age" percent mattered, because when it comes down to it, the US has both a larger population and a larger ACTUAL number of people older than 65.

All of that with fewer beds and fewer physicians.

(Based on the link you posted, if you have another link with better data, please post it).

The way I see it, given the same exponential growth of the virus, we're statistically worse off than Italy.

#773 4 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

That's a big 10-4 Big Shooter. I'm up to 3 a day now since I'm cyberteaching now, so gimme a drive-by and I'll throw you a loaf or two... Mebbe some frozen waffles?

Done and done!
    I can see it all now...
    *insert dream effect*

C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpegC01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    #774 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

What data do you have that suggests the US and countries like Italy should just be carrying on business as usual?

I never claimed any such thing. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

#775 4 years ago

I have to say that I’ve been blessed in my life and I have weathered many tough times in my life having to start over 2 times after life altering situations. Part of me feels this is inappropriate to talk about here and obviously this isn’t anything against Italy, my Great grandparents immigrated to the US from Italy. I’m half Italian so if you feel it’s necessary to argue statistics and what I linked was incorrect please do but my only point was we can get through this and be a better society once this passes.

I have an 18 year old son at boot camp at Paris Island who will become a Marie in April, he has no idea what’s going on in the outside world. He’s been writing my wife and I letters about how much he wants to come home on his 10 day leave after graduation and to be with his family, he has no idea that’s been shut down and he won’t get any of those privileges. He will graduate with no ceremony, get no 10 day leave to see us or any family and go straight away to combat training at Fort Lejeune and then on to his MOS.

So flame me all you want, and this is why I usually stay away from these threads, but please keep in mind what's important in life.

#776 4 years ago

Sorry, but I have to step in here with all this talk of Italy and US. Yes, America has more TOTAL older people than Italy, and yes, America has more TOTAL people of all ages than Italy; however, that is neither here nor there, since America also has much more land area and it's people are much more spread out.

To talk numbers, Italy has 518 people per square mile. The US only has 87 people per square mile. Italy has about 23% of it's population aged 65+, while the US has about 15% of it's population 65+. Roughly.

So basically, in any given square mile of the country, Italy has more people packed closer together, and more of them are older. Also, in a lot of European cultures, like in Italy, it is (or was until now) quite common for people to greet each other with kiss on the cheek. If you've got family or close friends in Europe, you know this.

So given the significant disparities between the US and Italy, it IS like Apples an Oranges to make direct comparisons between Italy and US when it comes to contagion spreading and mortality. Certainly Italy provides a sad warning of what CAN happen, but it would be somewhat foolish to expect our outbreak results to follow theirs. It is simply a fact that a contagion like COVID-19 will have a harder time spreading as quickly in most of the US, than it will in Italy.

I hope I made sense here! (Also, these numbers are easily found with a basic google-search, so I haven't bothered including the links, but if you desire, go ahead!)

#777 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Sorry, but I have to step in here with all this talk of Italy and US. Yes, America has more TOTAL older people than Italy, and yes, America has more TOTAL people of all ages than Italy; however, that is neither here nor there, since America also has much more land area and it's people are much more spread out.
    To talk numbers, Italy has 518 people per square mile. The US only has 87 people per square mile. Italy has about 23% of it's population aged 65+, while the US has about 15% of it's population 65+. Roughly.
    So basically, in any given square mile of the country, Italy has more people packed closer together, and more of them are older. Also, in a lot of European cultures, like in Italy, it is (or was until now) quite common for people to greet each other with kiss on the cheek. If you've got family or close friends in Europe, you know this.
    So given the significant disparities between the US and Italy, it IS like Apples an Oranges to make direct comparisons between Italy and US when it comes to contagion spreading and mortality. Certainly Italy provides a sad warning of what CAN happen, but it would be somewhat foolish to expect our outbreak results to follow theirs. It is simply a fact that a contagion like COVID-19 will have a harder time spreading as quickly in most of the US, than it will in Italy.
    I hope I made sense here! (Also, these numbers are easily found with a basic google-search, so I haven't bothered including the links, but if you desire, go ahead!)

Correct. Dense population of old vulnerable people in Italy is the direct correlation to their high mortality rates due to this virus

Nothing complicated to figure out there

#778 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

That logic doesn’t boad well for people living in major cities.
    New York City - 26,403 per square mile.

#779 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

NY State has about 40% of reported virus cases, with about 3/4 of them in NYC. Lots of factors but density is obviously one.

I don't support it, but if you really wanted to limit the spread then the Feds should lock down NY and other hot-spots like Washington State and CA.

#780 4 years ago

Here’s a picture of one of our bees I took today in the Texas rain while working.

05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    #781 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Quite true. There are a lot of other things we just don't know. Some reports have stated that younger people have been given the hospital beds rather than seniors because of the probability of survival. Others have stated other reasons...nobody knows for sure at this point.

#782 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Yes, that's why I said the virus would spread more slowly in MOST of the US. Unfortunately, major population centers will be hit the hardest. Which I think is currently what's happening. People living in big cities should be the most concerned of anyone about COVID-19.

#783 4 years ago

Anyone played maiden lately, Run to the hills keeps going through my head for some reason, not sure why...

#784 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Anyone played maiden lately, Run to the hills keeps going through my head for some reason, not sure why...

Cause it's an awesome song.

#785 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

You are exactly right. The areas in the US likely to be hit particularly hard, though, are densely populated cities like NYC (playing out right now), Boston, and hotzones like Seattle and the Bay Area that had breakouts and didn't take measures quickly enough to curb the spread.

Areas where there are a high concentration of seniors and retirees like Florida, Arizona, etc could end up getting hit hard as well. Makes the selfish actions of spring breaking college students all over Florida that much more disturbing when the demographics of the state are taken into consideration.

#786 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Playing right now, still awesome.

IMG-0154 (resized).jpgIMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    #787 4 years ago

H

Quoted from luckymoey:

NY State has about 40% of reported virus cases, with about 3/4 of them in NYC. Lots of factors but density is obviously one.
    I don't support it, but if you really wanted to limit the spread then the Feds should lock down NY and other hot-spots like Washington State and CA.

I've been saying this for two weeks now to friends and family. We locked down flights from China early on and last week, Europe. Pretending as if we didn't have rapid breakouts in Seattle, the Bay Area, and NYC has proven costly, however.

In Utah, most of our initial cases were ski tourists or visitors from New York and the west coast. Many others were from locals that had recently traveled to those areas.

Those areas should have had air travel bans and federal quarantines well over a week ago if they really wanted to blunt the spread to other areas of the country IMO.

#788 4 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Here’s a picture of one of our bees I took today in the Texas rain while working.[quoted image]

Not sure why you posted this, but it’s good to know there are still a few bees around.

#789 4 years ago

Because this topic is off the rails anyway. Bees are nice.

#790 4 years ago

All coronavirus threads/off-shoot threads have been combined into one thread.

Please follow the link below;

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 16.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-collapse/page/16?hl=gunsnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.