(Topic ID: 264212)

Is the pinball market about to collapse?

By 27dnast

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 790 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-0154 (resized).jpg
    05FCDE5F-CEE1-4A86-B2CE-6589E2E9FA4B (resized).jpeg
    C01F09B4-00B3-460F-9EBA-9DCB020E159D (resized).jpeg
    72E11B90-10A8-42A9-8864-7DA17E6E6304 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200320_125736_979 (resized).jpg
    Stern (resized).jpg
    Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png
    D4CFA9AC-F413-4D25-92A0-B084CE002446 (resized).jpeg
    5A8A81E5-C345-4D8B-9647-8D79CAA13D31.gif
    DSCN6705 (resized).JPG
    idiot.jpg
    27DC9CBC-E99F-4DEE-84DA-C3BF0EC5CAD6 (resized).jpeg
    2CA58ADE-0930-408A-96D0-DC660A160DC2 (resized).jpeg
    DSCN6704 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6703 (resized).JPG
    BUTTCOIN (resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 16.
    #651 4 years ago

I dont know about pinside sales but facebook is crazy flush with machines for sale right now. I myself am holding off on new purchases for the forseeable future. I'm 100% sure this market isnt gonna bounce back this year.

#652 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Things won't be better in 14 days. It is going to take months.

Yeah I don’t know about all that nonsense, but there’s a White Water for sale on the ad below for sub $5K

Might scoop that puppy up

#653 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I work for an air freight charter company, no passengers, strictly cargo, 90% automotive parts. We were told yesterday that due to the work stoppages throughout the industry, we have to take a 5 day unpaid furlough to help out the company. We can spread it out over the next 60 days, so I'm taking 5 3-day weekends for the next 5 weeks.
    Wonder if I'm eligible for one of those $1000 checks Mnuchin wants to mail out.

Mailing the checks to everyone isn't the right strategy IMO. Any federal funds of this sort should be directed to state unemployment agencies to directly help those in service and hospitality industries that have already lost their jobs and need the help. Also, struggling small business owners so it can help meet rent and payroll obligations.

I personally don't need the money right now and if they're going to put the country in even bigger debt then we already are, make sure it gets to those currently need it most.

#654 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

I personally don't need the money right now and if they're going to put the country in even bigger debt then we already are, make sure it gets to those currently need it most.

I'll pm you my address and you can send it.

#655 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Mailing the checks to everyone isn't the right strategy IMO. Any federal funds of this sort should be directed to state unemployment agencies to directly help those in service and hospitality industries that have already lost their jobs and need the help. Also, struggling small business owners so it can help meet rent and payroll obligations.

Yeah I hear ya there. There are a ton of employed people right now that are now reigning in their spending and have instead switched to savings mode. However, the stimulus checks will get a lot of employed people who are saving to spend that money quickly which can help the economy. I'm sure some will just put it in the bank but many in that bucket will spending the money within a few months as well.

#656 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah I hear ya there. There are a ton of employed people right now that are now reigning in their spending and have instead switched to savings mode.

My wife was let go along with 185 others from Anthem along term employees. Wife had 39yrs in and the lowest tenure they let go was 38 yrs. service. She is just going to retire young as at our age jobs can be hard to find. We have zero debt so really only health insurance will be a worry. Our day to day expenses are pretty low or at least I think they are, we are going to set down and look over everything and plan for our future.

#657 4 years ago

It is tough out there and we all need to do what's best for our own financial and physical health. On the financial side buying a new pin may not be the best thing to do but if you have the means and it makes you feel better about life than why not. With all that is going on health wise you never know when the good lord will call us home. I hope all of us pinheads survive the current mess we find ourselves in. Stay safe my friends

#658 4 years ago

My hours were cut 50% at work yesterday. I was a lucky one. Most got the sorry, your job is gone speech. Still, not sure how im supposed to pay my bills with unemployment. Im not buying anything i cant eat for awhile. Id sell some games, but no one around here is buying anyway.

#659 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

My wife was let go along with 185 others from Anthem along term employees. Wife had 39yrs in and the lowest tenure they let go was 38 yrs. service. She is just going to retire young as at our age jobs can be hard to find. We have zero debt so really only health insurance will be a worry. Our day to day expenses are pretty low or at least I think they are, we are going to set down and look over everything and plan for our future.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that Did they purposely let go only employees that had the longest time in as a forced retirement? Sounds like all the 185 let go had 38-39 years in. I hope a great severance package was offered to all affected.

#660 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow I'm sorry to hear that Did they purposely let go only employees that had the longest time in as a forced retirement?

Yeah they have been doing this over the last couple yrs. so we kinda figured it was coming but even with that it is still a shock. They're hiring younger people straight out of college for cheaper wages and having the people they're replacing train them for a couple yrs. Wife trained her new hired over about 2.5 yrs..

#661 4 years ago

I don’t believe one second the market can go down. There won’t even be a slowdown sale. Containment, idleness, internet are some factors encouraging the buyer fever and impulsive purchases.

#662 4 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I don’t believe one second the market can go down. There won’t even be a slowdown sale. Containment, idleness, internet are some factors encouraging the buyer fever and impulsive purchases.

so as businesses close and people are out of work and retirement accounts are down 40% - it will just be business as usual in the pinball world?

#663 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Yeah they have been doing this over the last couple yrs. so we kinda figured it was coming but even with that it is still a shock. They're hiring younger people straight out of college for cheaper wages and having the people they're replacing train them for a couple yrs. Wife trained her new hired over about 2.5 yrs..

Sorry to hear that. That sort of thing pisses me off and makes me realize getting older and making more money puts me at risk of losing my job.

Isn't there any type of age discrimination threat that could be made against the company? Sounds pretty obvious that is what they're doing.

My job is safe for now but if this continues for another few months, that could change. The problem with sending these checks to everyone is that for those employed, what can we do with it right now to stimulate the economy? Buy more food or a TV? It's not like we can use it for a vacation, movies, eating out, or other entertainment right now.

For most of us still collecting paychecks, it will just go to savings or to pay off existing debt. I'd prefer it go to unemployment to help those most in need right now.

#664 4 years ago

Bold and optimistic prediction! Something different at least.

#665 4 years ago

If you can't be around people, most aren't going to be selling machines. That's not even getting into the money part of it.

#666 4 years ago

Simple economics says you're wrong. This will have an impact on every sector of the economy and non essential items like pinball is hardly something that will escape the carnage.

#667 4 years ago

My prediction if this continues... is most newer Sterns will be posted for 4K soon.

#668 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

sn't there any type of age discrimination threat that could be made against the company? Sounds pretty obvious that is what they're doing.

Ohio is an "at will" state meaning they have far more leeway when terminating as they are not required to give or show reason. I said this in one of the other threads I was a part of this at times when I was in mgmt. during my career where I was told to purge or they would replace me with someone who would.

#669 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Sorry to hear that and how it went down. Hope it all works out for you.

39 years is a LONG time.

#670 4 years ago

How many on location machines are just sitting idle right now? How many months can operators tolerate getting 0 return on any of their machines? What happens if just 15% of those machines hit the market where buying demand is softening?

#671 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

If you can't be around people, most aren't going to be selling machines. That's not even getting into the money part of it.

There are people in my area offering to rent some of their machines out for a monthly fee so those that enjoy pinball but don't have their own can get their and fix and have some entertainment at home right now.

Not a bad idea that could be a win win for both parties. I cant get my pins in or out of my basement without help from 1-2 other people so I've decided against something like that or selling anything right now... although I was thinking of selling my Spiderman before all this hit.

#672 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

How many on location machines are just sitting idle right now? How many months can operators tolerate getting 0 return on any of their machines? What happens if just 15% of those machines hit the market where buying demand is softening?

Here is another scary thought, if these are in locations that are shutdown what happens when people get desperate and think there is money in them. I am in the same situation with our vending business, I am 98% shutdown.

#673 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

Simple economics says you're wrong. This will have an impact on every sector of the economy and non essential items like pinball is hardly something that will escape the carnage.

Who is buying pinball machine? People with big means. I don’t think they are impacted in a one or 2 months crisis. If it lasts way more time, it would be different.
    Regarding the situation in China, I don’t think it would last more time in the rest of the world. I hope as the most important is not to know if pinball economy can fall down but Staying alive.

#674 4 years ago
    Quoted from Utesichiban:

There are people in my area offering to rent some of their machines out for a monthly fee so those that enjoy pinball but don't have their own can get their and fix and have some entertainment at home right now.
    Not a bad idea that could be a win win for both parties. I cant get my pins in or out of my basement without help from 1-2 other people so I've decided against something like that or selling anything right now... although I was thinking of selling my Spiderman before all this hit.

There was an old movie (maybe Screamers?) where there was some sort of airborne illness and everyone that lived there basically had a tag on them that if they was green, and if they got infected it went to red. Would be useful in this scenario lol. The problem with it now is, just because you get tested doesn't mean the next day you aren't infected.

#675 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Ohio is an "at will" state meaning they have far more leeway when terminating as they are not required to give or show reason. I said this in one of the other threads I was a part of this at times when I was in mgmt. during my career where I was told to purge or they would replace me with someone who would.

I work in an at will state as well and have experienced downsizing a couple of times during the great recession. It sucks and I feel for so many going through it right now.

My industry tends to be pretty volatile but I've been fortunate in the past that there were opportunities with other companies that came up. I'm 10 years older now and it does make me nervous what could happen if this continues for months. I don't have youth working in my favor as much anymore if I had to go look for another job once this mess ends.

#676 4 years ago
    Quoted from uphamj:

Here is another scary thought, if these are in locations that are shutdown what happens when people get desperate and think there is money in them. I am in the same situation with our vending business, I am 98% shutdown.

There have been multiple break ins of bars/restaurants here since the businesses went dark. Like literally the first night of the shutdown these pieces of shit were out on the prowl, furthering the pain and stress of business owners facing an uncertain future. Makes me sick.

#677 4 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

There have been multiple break ins of bars/restaurants here since the businesses went dark. Like literally the first night of the shutdown these pieces of shit were out on the prowl, furthering the pain and stress of business owners facing an uncertain future. Makes me sick.

Wow, things are not even bad yet. Scary.

#678 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Yeah I bought a machine. I’m staying in business. Not everything is shut down. If you stop supporting business well that’s not going to help

Depends on the business. With this level of uncertainty, you'd be foolish to spend money on non essentials at the moment. We can guess what will happen, but you'd be lying to yourself if you knew for sure.

So it is easy to say "don't stop supporting businesses," but it is NOT that easy. Especially if the business is overpriced boxes that you bat silver balls around in.

#679 4 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

Wow, things are not even bad yet. Scary.

This why gun sales are going through the roof. If things get really bad, the dirtbags and dregs of society will look at as an opportunity to take advantage of the situation.

#680 4 years ago

Some of the flippant attitudes towards this virus is startling and is the exact reason why it will probably linger longer in our country than any others. So much for social contract theory and taking care of one another in a time of crisis.

Anyway, if you are concerned about take-out or food delivery, then take a few minutes to read this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/health/food-safety-groceries-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

#681 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Ohio is an "at will" state meaning they have far more leeway when terminating as they are not required to give or show reason.

While this is true, you are still protected by federal age discrimination laws. If you believe she was terminated specifically because of her age contact a lawyer you may have a case... You could get a settlement, and if she will have zero change to be re-hired what do you have to lose...

#682 4 years ago

Well yes she could try that but the people they've been letting go over the past couple years are of all ages. I know of one case only that did prevail against them and it was a settlement as Anthem had actually terminated a guy when he was in the hospital recovering from open heart surgery. That was over a year or more ago.

#683 4 years ago
    Quoted from beergut666:

That is really bad to hear. It hasn't even been a month of shutdown and things already going Mad Max on us.

#684 4 years ago

I was prepared to buy a tmnt le if announced right now i'm holding off unless one specific used title becomes available. I work for a company that isnt going to close anytime soon but i still get nervous it could change any day

#685 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

That is really bad to hear. It hasn't even been a month of shutdown and things already going Mad Max on us.

Wait til it's people's homes they break into.

#686 4 years ago

Wow, hope I can visit your planet one day.

#687 4 years ago
    Quoted from happyhour1973:

Some of the flippant attitudes towards this virus is startling and is the exact reason why it will probably linger longer in our country than any others. So much for social contract theory and taking care of one another in a time of crisis.

It won't linger longer. It is here forever. A virus does not disappear.

#688 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

It won't linger longer. It is here forever. A virus does not disappear.

Yes but a pandemic doesn't last forever, cases will start decreasing at some point just as with every past pandemic.

#689 4 years ago
    Quoted from uphamj:

Michigan locations were shut down Monday at 3pm. I was driving around on Tuesday, to my at risk locations, emptying cash and leaving all coin doors and atm safes open. Last thing I need is someone destroying a juke box for a few bucks. If its open they will move on. A few of the bars seen what I was doing and also left all the registers open.

#690 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes but a pandemic doesn't last forever, cases will start decreasing at some point just as with every past pandemic.

Well said.

#691 4 years ago

He's not making the point you think he is.

#692 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Have you lived through anything like this in the US? I haven't.

#693 4 years ago
    Quoted from happyhour1973:

Anyway, if you are concerned about take-out or food delivery, then take a few minutes to read this:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/health/food-safety-groceries-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Thanks for sharing. To each their own but as it said, the only real risk is that the person preparing or delivering the food is sick.

Well, isn't one of the major problems with controlling this out break the fact people can get it and incubate asymptomatically while still shedding virus for 2-14 days? Arent we asked to wash our hands constantly because the risk of transmission is person to person via contact (cough, sneeze, etc) or touching something and then touching our mouth, nose, or face?

If someone feels fine but is unknowingly infected and prepared the food or packages it after prepared, I still see a possible problem.

I've heard the CDC repeat the mantra for weeks now that the risk of Covid19 to the American public "remains low" and look at where we are today. When I read a food expert state the risk via prepared food "is low," forgive me for being skeptical and taking precautions for my own health situation and my family.

#694 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It will last and ebb and flow until we have an effective treatment or vaccine. Let's all pray that the vaccine doesnt take 12-18 months.

#695 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

You have, though. H1N1 was more widespread and had a lot more caasualties (to date). It just did not garner the same Media Attention at the time.

And, people still get H1N1...just not to the same degree as when it appeared.

A lot of people here have lived through more than that. That one is just one of the most recent examples, but a lot of the older gen here lived through the Polio scare as well.

This too will pass.

#696 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

You have, though. H1N1 was more widespread and had a lot more caasualties (to date). It just did not garner the same Media Attention at the time.

I'm sorry, but is it the media that just shutdown all non-essential stuff in NYC and California in the last 24hrs?

This whole "its the media" crap is batshit crazy. The Governors aren't turning to the media to tell them what to do.

#697 4 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

And, people still get H1N1...just not to the same degree as when it appeared.
    A lot of people here have lived through more than that. That one is just one of the most recent examples, but a lot of the older gen here lived through the Polio scare as well.
    This too will pass.

H1N1 mortality rate was 0.02%.
    CoronaVirus is 2%.

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-pandemic-vs-swine-flu.html

#698 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm sorry, but is it the media that just shutdown all non-essential stuff in NYC and California in the last 24hrs?

Nope.

Only Governors that have aspirations of a higher, national office have made such severe calls.

#699 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

No but multiple doctors and scientists have already said that the number of cases / deaths will stop going up at some point, peak, and go down. The numbers cannot just keep going up forever, this will end.

Take a look at the deaths by week per 1000 people across several cities world wide during the Spanish Flu, a virus that killed 50 or more people from 1918-1919. The period of exponential growth lasted about 2 months. We are in the exponential growth period now. Cases will eventually peak, and then start going down until they level off. Once levels do go down and level off a big concern will be preventing a second wave which did occur during the Spanish Flu pandemic.

Spanish_flu_death_chart (resized).pngSpanish_flu_death_chart (resized).png

Sorry, should have kept this in the other thread.

#700 4 years ago

That is true for now but as we go up in the number of infections that 2% will decrease.

There are 790 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 16.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-pinball-market-about-to-collapse/page/14?hl=mbgibbs13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.