(Topic ID: 123090)

Is the LED brightness adjustable on Star Trek?

By RacerRik

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled2.JPG
IMG_6128.jpg
128.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I just got a new Star Trek Premium and it is awesome. The LEDs are so bright! Is there an adjustment somewhere to turn them down just a bit? I mean it looks great, but it is over the top and I would think the LEDs would last longer if run a little bit dimmer. I went through the various menus but I did not see any options to set LED brightness. Am I just missing it, or is there really no way to adjust the LEDs?

#2 9 years ago

Not that I'm aware of
The schematics really only show a on/off... I don't think the CPU can PWM the leds to adjust brightness with the current architecture.

#3 9 years ago

DE/Sega/Stern games use a relay to turn the GI's off and on... no ability to dim

they don't seem too bright on my pro

#4 9 years ago

It seems like my ACDC has the ability to dim the LEDs. I don't know why they would have dropped this capability.

#5 9 years ago

"The pin's so bright, I gotta wear shades"

I have not come across any setting on my pro. I love the brightness, though, especially with the lights off. It is blinding at times but that is part of the fun. Give it some time and I think you will get used to it.

#6 9 years ago

If you want to see bright, install mirror blades!

#7 9 years ago

I don't mind the brightness - I just worry about burning up the LEDs too quickly. That was an issue on ACDC. Maybe they have better LEDs now that can handle the brightness?

#8 9 years ago

I just realized my game was made in Dec 2013. So Stern had it sitting around a long time. This was drop shipped from the factory. Has Stern made any changes to the newer runs?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

It seems like my ACDC has the ability to dim the LEDs. I don't know why they would have dropped this capability.

no stern can dim the GI lamps

unless you are talking about the brightness of the controlled lamps???

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

no stern can dim the GI lamps
unless you are talking about the brightness of the controlled lamps???

Hmmm, then what is the setting "General Illumination Intensity Level" on AC/DC for?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Hmmm, then what is the setting "General Illumination Intensity Level" on AC/DC for?

I don't have an AC/DC but I know Star Trek was the first ALL led model.
Doesn't your AC/DC use normal bulbs / lamps for the GI?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I don't have an AC/DC but I know Star Trek was the first ALL led model.
Doesn't your AC/DC use normal bulbs / lamps for the GI?

I don't have AC/DC, but if I remember correctly a friend of mine owning an LE was very happy that he was able to dim the GI after the code update. Not sure if the LE's were LED only.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I would love to see a picture of that

stern uses relays to control GI

relays cant dim

even on the LE models they have additional relays under the playfield for the different colors (avengers/x-men etc)

#14 9 years ago

100% this is available on AC/DC. There is a GI illumination setting that allows for you to adjust the brightness of the GI. While ST may be the first ALL LED game AC/DC Prem/LE was also pretty much all LED. The only things not were the flashers.

Also, the framework can control this as this is exactly what happens on MET Pre/LE in fade to black. The GI gradually fades to basically turn off. The insert brightness I'm not so sure about but the GI should be able to do this. I have a ST pro and I do not see a setting for it though so it may be something Stern left out of this model.

OP - Since there doesn't seem to be a setting. You could change some lights out to lighten the intensity. I went with ice blue lights and it came out great.

#15 9 years ago

are the GI LEDs controlled lamps? because again, stern SAM boards use a relay to turn the GI on and off, relays cannot dim, they are relays

#16 9 years ago

You can select them in batches (all white, all blue and all red) but you can not select them individually (like and insert).

I can assure you 100% that the GI in METLE/Prem can fade (happens in fade to black CIU mode and a few others). I can also assure you 100% that the GI in AC/DC prem/LE can be adjusted. I don't know how they do it as I'm not an IT guy but they do it. It's also reasonable to me to think that the relay controls on and off but something else would control the power to the LED's (that goes through the relay too). If I have to take a video to prove this I will but for these two games the GI 100% can dim.

#17 9 years ago

Isn't the relay control only on Pro games? I don't own any Premiums, but don't they dim the GI at times? For example, during Fade to Black mode on Metallica Premium.

#18 9 years ago

according to pinball news this is the back box of STLE, and you can see the relay on the top left under the bridge rectifier

128.jpg128.jpg

I have never worked on an AC/DC LE or Met LE so I can't tell you if they use something else in addition to the relay... but by default SAM can't dim GI, they would have to add something extra

I know X-MEN LE and Avengers LE use extra relays under the playfield for the blue and red GI lighting so they also can't dim... those are the only "LE" machines I have had to service

#19 9 years ago

SAM most definitely can dim GI as MET and AC are SAM games and they both can dim GI. I don't understand how you are still arguing this point. Maybe it's done via an aux board or something else but the fact is that it can be done and has been done.

Here is my AC/DC. It is the same board and also has the relay.

IMG_6128.jpgIMG_6128.jpg

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Maybe it's done via an aux board or something else but the fact is that it can be done and has been done.

In your picture, there is nothing connected to the normal GI connector (left board edge, under the yellow cable). I would guess they are actually being controlled by the new serial bus like the inserts. Maybe that is the confusion. From the player's standpoint, they are GI, but from a hardware perspective, they are controlled lamps?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

SAM most definitely can dim GI as MET and AC are SAM games and they both can dim GI. I don't understand how you are still arguing this point. Maybe it's done via an aux board or something else but the fact is that it can be done and has been done.

It's done by an Atmel microprocessor on the multi color LED driver board, which sets the brightness using pulse width modulation (PWM) See the schematics on Sterns website.

untitled2.JPGuntitled2.JPG
#22 9 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

I just realized my game was made in Dec 2013. So Stern had it sitting around a long time. This was drop shipped from the factory. Has Stern made any changes to the newer runs?

I believe the early runs had a screw head in the pop bumper area that the ball would sometimes hang up on. Stern fixed it in later runs.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

In your picture, there is nothing connected to the normal GI connector (left board edge, under the yellow cable). I would guess they are actually being controlled by the new serial bus like the inserts. Maybe that is the confusion. From the player's standpoint, they are GI, but from a hardware perspective, they are controlled lamps?

ding ding ding

we have a winner

they are "GI" but not GI, they are controlled

and since the STLE pic shows the GI lamps connected to the GI connector the answer is still correct, you cannot dim STLE GI lamps in the stock game, period

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I believe the early runs had a screw head in the pop bumper area that the ball would sometimes hang up on. Stern fixed it in later runs.
Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Can I fix this if it a problem on my game? If so, what is the correct fix?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

Can I fix this if it a problem on my game? If so, what is the correct fix?

Search "Ball getting stuck on ST"
This thread has photos of the problem and solutions.

#26 9 years ago

Mine has the screw head as shown in the Ball getting stuck thread. How did Stern fix this on later runs?

#27 9 years ago

I think the screw is no longer there. But I will have to check when I get home.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-led-brightness-adjsutable-on-star-trek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.