(Topic ID: 161578)

Is the hobby being taken over by scalpers?

By pinlink

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3X_MET_LEs_(resized).jpg
    2-scalping_(resized).jpg
    bullshit-meter1_(resized).jpg
    poundsand_(resized).png
    hqdefault_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    smartman.jpg
    minority-report-precrime-cops_(resized).jpg
    mmrow_(resized).jpg
    1winetypes_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tickerguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#208 7 years ago

In a word, "meh."

I own five machines today. I owned five before, sold one, owned four for a long time, just bought a fifth.

I'll buy more, too, and have the room for them. But..... only at a price I'm willing to pay. Of course the other side of that is that the seller has to be willing to sell, and at the ridiculously inflated prices I've seen of late, that's going to be a problem.

Or is it?

Not really. If someone is willing to fork up 2, 3, 4x or more what I think a machine is worth, more power to them! It's their money, and that's their call. I won't pay that, but that's because I don't see the value they do. There is no "right" and "wrong" just as there's not for a house, a car, a boat.... or a pinball.

There is only an offer and an acceptance, or not as the case may be.

I have a wad of cash for machines I want to own -- a nice list in fact. But I also have a price associated with each in what I consider to be 'acceptable' condition, and that's 100% working and a certain level of cosmetics. For everything that the machine is not on that list there's a price adjustment -- downward -- because my time is worth something and parts cost money to either buy or fabricate.

This means I pass on a lot of "offers", but that's because IMHO the sellers are insane. Of course that's my opinion, and it's only validated (or not) by others in the market who either agree with me, are willing to pay less... or will meet the ask.

Does this concern me? Not really. It means I have a smaller collection than I'd like, but I've been doing this for close to 20 years, and I frankly don't care about the bubbles. I'll let someone else lay out the cash for NIB, LEs, resales or whatever. When the time comes and they need money, and have a machine they need to dispose of, I've got a wad of cash -- but only a certain amount, and no more.

That's what makes a market.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tickerguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-hobby-being-taken-over-by-scalpers?tu=Tickerguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.