Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 days ago

I recently acquired a High Speed pinball - and OH MY GOD - what a fantastic machine - the Lights ! the sounds ! -the layout and flow of the gameplay !!! - needing to get the green, yellow & red lights - then run the ramp to run the red light - and the multiball - it all combines to an amazingly addictive and exciting machine. Superb !!!! I understand how the playfields on these get worn out.

Now my question is - is the second version - The Getaway - as addictive, colorful - game play - lighting - as good as High Speed ? or is it just a remake of High speed and I'll get bored with it fast ?? Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of adding Getaway to my collection - ONLY if it's as fun as High speed .

Please let me know your thoughts - I'm sort of a Newb to this pinball stuff - I don't want to spend huge money - just want a game with a theme / story to it - and high speed is something all drivers can relate to.

#2 6 days ago

I'd say they are equally awesome / addictive.

They are both basically 3-4 shot games that are very repetitive, but they are fun and they grab you.

#3 6 days ago

I haven't spent a lot of time on The Getaway, but I'll say with the supercharger it def. bumps up on a certain level above HS1..HOWEVER, I own HS1, and I'll never sell it..and I actually prefer the music/callouts/rawness/difficulty/layout/rules of High Speed than HS2. I can already see your future (crystal ball here).. You'll soon have both, side by side, and feel good that you own both..For me I'm fine with just High Speed, but if you are absolutely in love with it (and in 'fanboy mode'), then get both man, no regrets!

#4 6 days ago

They layout is pretty much identical, with Getaway having some extra toys. It's a great game though. If they're your only two pins, you might get bored.

#5 6 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd say they are equally awesome / addictive.
    They are both basically 3-4 shot games that are very repetitive, but they are fun and they grab you.

Quoted from KING-HENRY:

I haven't spent a lot of time on The Getaway, but I'll say with the supercharger it def. bumps up on a certain level above HS1..HOWEVER, I own HS1, and I'll never sell it..and I actually prefer the music/callouts/rawness/difficulty/layout/rules of High Speed than HS2. I can already see your future (crystal ball here).. You'll soon have both, side by side, and feel good that you own both..For me I'm fine with just High Speed, but if you are absolutely in love with it (and in 'fanboy mode'), then get both man, no regrets!

Quoted from Smokezz:

They layout is pretty much identical, with Getaway having some extra toys. It's a great game though. If they're your only two pins, you might get bored.

I have a total of 4 pins - 3 of them EM - Superspin, Fantastic and Hot Shot - definitely slower than High speed - I don't like the new superfast pins - not what I'm aiming for - and my daughter just got her license - so I know she will love HS - Thanks for the replies guys - it gives me some insight - just want to make sure I don't buy getaway and say geeze - it's not as good as HS.....

Does Getaway have the same sort of rule set as HS ? A bit attraction to me for HS is the specific rule set.

#6 6 days ago

Getaway has the same rules as high speed except the bonus feature on high speed becomes a path for advancing a few modes in getaway.

#7 6 days ago

HS will always be better. 3 flipper SR layout with no side ramp?!

#8 6 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

HS will always be better. 3 flipper SR layout with no side ramp?!

I don't quite understand - can you elaborate ?

#9 6 days ago
    Quoted from moonrakercat:

There’s no side ramp on HSII.

#10 6 days ago

Steve Ritchie 3 flipper layouts have a side ramp shot; like HS, STNG, ST, SM etc.
    HS2 replaces it with loop that isn't as much fun.

#11 6 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Steve Ritchie 3 flipper layouts have a side ramp shot; like HS, STNG, ST, SM etc.

I find hitting that repeatable shot fun on Getaway.

#12 6 days ago

Owned getaway twice, 20:years apart and still like it a little more than HS. Both are awesome and go well with No Fear (high speed 3)

All are steve ritchie and you cant go wrong with any combination of.

*Family, friends and those with least experience seem to prefer in order:

Getaway- fun call outs, video mode and the supercharger.
    high speed- call outs and fun multiball
    No fear- fast as hell and can brick a lot of shots unless dialed in. “If” they hit jump shot gets very addicting.

#13 6 days ago

Getaway with pinsound. Epic. All i'm going to say. So many great soundtracks out there. I now actually have a Pulp Fiction track on it. Absolutely awesome. Definitely curbed my "I need a pulp fiction pin" obsession.

8 games downstairs and some don't get played very often. Getaway. Every time.

#14 6 days ago

I prefer Getaway to High Speed, by just a little bit.

#15 6 days ago

Can’t go wrong with either but I’d give the nod to hs, I do prefer the older games though

#16 6 days ago

getaway is the better game, but soundtrack gets old..... even though im a huge zz top fan.

#17 6 days ago

I just watched a youtube video of the supercharger - the ball really spins in the track on this pin - I'm impressed !

#18 6 days ago

My first machine and will be the last to go. HS is great but I grew up with HS2 so prefer it.

#19 6 days ago

High speed II is just good ole fashioned, blazing fast fum.

#20 6 days ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

My first machine and will be the last to go. HS is great but I grew up with HS2 so prefer it.

I've had mine since the 90's if that says anything.

I just watched a youtube video of the supercharger - the ball really spins in the track on this pin - I'm impressed !

If you polish the track and replace the 3 opto sets if they are factory it will go REALLY fast.

#21 6 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The 3rd flipper still connects to a ramp it's just in back to lock your ball. Same as high speed to lock your ball. But correct it's not the same feeling/location as the aforementioned games.

#23 6 days ago

OP needs to make poll!

#24 6 days ago

They’re both great! And if you get them both, you might as well also get a Roller Games and re-theme it as high speed 1.5 because SR originally designed it as that.

#25 6 days ago

Both are great, but I would rank hs2 higher. Supercharger, sounds/callouts and dmd give it an edge for me.

#26 20 hours ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

They’re both great! And if you get them both, you might as well also get a Roller Games and re-theme it as high speed 1.5 because SR originally designed it as that.

wowa! Didn't know that!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-getaway-as-good-as-high-speed- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.