(Topic ID: 230400)

Is the distributorship model for pinball outdated?

By JodyG

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Twilight Zone pinball stream setup (resized).jpg
    9C507D2A-ABA5-4943-8DC9-42698DF8C3F4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Given the market saturation we are seeing in the pinball world lately, I have to wonder if the traditional distributor model is going to eventually go by the wayside in the coming years. I know there are a lot of distributors on this site, and I am not lobbing flaming arrows your way. However, I think market forces are going to cause a change to come sooner or later when it comes to the way pinball machines are sold.
    Deeproot has been rumored to be planning to disrupt the marketplace pricing in some way. Lets say they do this, and sell machines for less than Stern Pro pricing. Stern, in an attempt to compete, could severely disrupt the pinball marketplace by going to a direct distribution model. We have recently come to know that wholesale pricing on Stern Pro machines is right around $4,000. Distributors have a MAP price of $5,800 on new machines. That is ~$1800 profit per machine (before overhead). If Stern decided to pull back and distribute on their own, they could split the difference and sell machines for $4,800-$4,900 and decimate the boutique market. That additional $800-$900 per machine over what they are selling at wholesale now could easily cover the services a distributor offers over the 30/60 day warranty period at the volume Stern does business. There will still be room for independent service people to offer the services a distributor offers for an additional fee if they choose.
    Distributors have traditionally been a sort of marketing arm of the manufacturer. This was especially true in the time before the internet came around. With the internet offering Twitch and Youtube streams, Pinside, Papa TV, etc, is the distributor still needed by the manufacturer?
    Before everyone thinks I am crazy, something very similar to this has already happened several years ago in another couple of disposable income hobbies- HO/N scale Model Railroading and entry level Model Airplanes. Horizon Hobby bought up a couple of the major brands in these subjects, and then created their own in-house distributor network. They pulled their products out of the big traditional distributors like Walthers and Tower Hobbies, and went to their own distribution model to maximize profits previously lost to the middle man. They have a team that hits all the major shows with their display booth full of new products. So far, it has been working for them. So much so that smaller companies have formed since this time, and now are only selling direct to consumer.
    What are your thoughts?

so you think stern should warehouse inventory, work out shipping to individuals, be on the hook for unsold games, and continue to make new ones at the same time? LOL Most tings are not sold to endusers right from the factory for a reason. Stern makes them and gets money upfront and get them out the door immediately, it does not matter to stern if they take a year to sell, they were already paid. The only issue for stern is if the distributor stops buying due to having too much inventory. Holding inventory is also a tax burden. as for trains and planes, how many fit in the space on pinball, the costs and space requirements are vastly different for warehousing. When you get to larger scale trains, rideables, or large model aircraft, those are not generally made in the 1000's a few get made as they sell a few more are made.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Actually for the last few years most games are shipped directly from stern either as they are built or because a distributor has not bought them. So they are storing some games even if it's a small amount. Most distributors keep a very small number of games in stock. Out of the last 6 sterns I have bought only 1 came from directly from the distributor. The other 5 were shipped directly from stern.

this is only due to them building slow. when they have enough ready they want a truck moving out of the building. They do not want to be holding any finished inventory longer than needed. As for drop ships, those games are already bought by the distributor, they just might not physically see it. You're still paying the distro who paid stern. Stern isn't holding unsold inventory if they can help it.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Building them slow? I take it you haven't been to the factory before? They pump out games at an almost unbelievable pace. Several of my games were not prepurchased by the distributor either. He called them and they had it in stock, I paid him, he paid stern, games came directly from stern usually 2 days later.

slow is relative. Sterns output is minimal compared to historic output. its more than a few years ago, buts its not fast. Stern makes less in a year than the old companies made of a single game in a month or 2. Stern had them on the dock awaiting a truckload to move. If a distro calls and needs one they get if off the books to the distrib asap, or dropship. Otherwise its waiting for a truck full they can push to multiple distribs who don't have a sales pending.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marvin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-distributorship-model-for-pinball-outdated?tu=marvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.