(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yaksplat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#166 1 year ago

I despise tipping. Who do you tip? Portions of you spend hours a day on pinside, but do you tip the guy that enabled this to work? Do you tip the guy that designed the roads that you drove on to work, or the crew that built them? How about the carpenter that built your house that you enjoy for 8-12 hours a day? No, you paid them for their work, and that was the end of it. They were happy with what they were paid and that was the end of it. The people that actually cooked your food get absolutely none of your tip, but the people that walked it from the kitchen get the money. How does that make any sense at all?

I have worked for tips, and worked every job I've listed. I never understood why I earned tips for virtually doing nothing other than carrying food and putting in orders.

#371 1 year ago
    Quoted from Minnpin65:

With all the crazy shit we have to digest these days…I’m surprised there isn’t a ‘tip’ prompt on the self-checkout registers at Walmart!

The tip is free groceries. I've seen people fake scan and then walk out with a full cart.

#375 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

They’re only free for that person, that shrinkage is figured in to the rest of the products that people are paying for. I have mixed feelings about self-checkout

I love it personally. I put everything in the cart with the UPC visible and then hit everything with the gun in about 30 seconds. There are absolutely some people that shouldn't be using it, since they can't follow simple instructions. Stores need to actually check that you actually scanned everything in your cart. They don't and that's causing plenty of shrink.

#429 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Anyone else do this? One time back when automatic tips on receipts was a new thing, I missed one and wound up tipping them twice! Including a tip on a percentage of the first tip! Argh!
    Even worse, last summer I didn't realize until it was too late that some online food ordering service double charged me at a certain restaurant more than once! I keep a better eye on that shit now!

When I was bussing in 1996-97, it happened all the time. At the restaurant I worked at, it could be a $200 error. There were tons of complaints.

#499 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks mate .
    I guess you guys are used to it , I'm just trying to figure out when and where and how much you tip , plus tax .
    I have to say I like our way , you see the price and that's it .

That's the common sense way. We're just really dumb here.

2 weeks later
    #534 11 months ago

The math skills with cashiers have definitely evaporated.

#544 11 months ago

We recently bought a couple pizzas. The total was 42.37. My son gave her a $50, and she gave him $42.37 back. The order was also wrong, so they had to remake the pizzas. When we picked up the new pizzas, I had to explain to her that she gave us back the amount that she was supposed to charge us, and that I gave her a $50. She was unable to figure out that she needed to give us $7.63 back. They gave us all 4 pizzas and $8 because making change is too hard.

Oh, and they pay $17/hr at this pizza place. My son has a job at a different location.

2 weeks later
    #624 11 months ago

Am i the only one that laughs out loud when that screen pops up as i vigorously mash 0%?

I think I'll start bringing my own tip jar with me and asking for tips.

6 months later
    #859 4 months ago

As a busboy in 96, I averaged $37 per hour. As a cook/chef, I made $6.50 in 97. I was a cook, but had to act as the chef, when the chef would pass out in the bathroom for hours at a time.

2 weeks later
    #890 4 months ago

I just ordered from Moe's last night. Right upon placing the order it asks for a tip. I pick 0, as I'm not tipping someone for handing me my food. Just a bowl of queso and a burrito bowl.

I pick it up and there are 6 chips in the bag. 6. Normally a full bag. I ask the girl at the end of the counter, since she's doing the chips, "Shouldn't this be a full bag of chips?" She rolls her eyes and fills the bag. When I get home, my bowl of queso is a cup and not a bowl and it's less than half full.

Obvious 0% tip retribution. Things like this make me want to tip even less.

1 week later
    #913 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

for the New Year California min wage will be 20 hr.waiting to see the food prices go up .So does that mean no more tips ?

Two large Pizza hut franchisees already announced layoffs of all delivery drivers in CA due to the $4 increase in minimum wage.

#917 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Last month I tried to order Pizza Hut delivered and they referred me to an app of some delivery service.I passed.Pizza shops should make and deliver their own product just like its always been.

I agree, but this way, they're passing the buck off to a completely different company and can avoid the headache completely. I don't think this will be the last we hear of labor cuts due to minimum wage increases.

#921 3 months ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Also doesn't help when more skilled labor in the 20s sees McDonald's pushing 18.

My 17-year-old son gets $17/hr from Mcdonalds. But his main reason for working there is the guaranteed $2500 scholarship if you work 15 hours per week. That'll pay for ~25% of his tuition.

#922 3 months ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

That's ridiculous. I feel like I'm a generous tipper, when tipping is warranted. Picking up an order for carryout is not a tipping situation. Sorry front counter person. I do love me some Moe's.

I just got a call from Moe's, strangely as i'm on this thread. The guy confirmed that the employees have no way of knowing what tip you give. You have to be at a level above store manager to have access to what the tip is, to prevent things like this. He said it just sounds like an unfortunate case of someone doing shoddy work during their shift.

He gave me $30 in the app towards a future order and thanked me for actually leaving feedback as he reads every one that comes through. So, although the experience was subpar, the follow through was well done.

#926 3 months ago
    Quoted from rx3:

So everyone just stop buying at Pizza Hut. Their CEOs can make a couple million less a year and keep delivery drivers employed, but because of greed, they won't do that.

Based on the $6 increase and assuming 20 hours per week, that comes out to $7.5M annually before additional payroll taxes.

Now they're saving $20M + additional taxes and benefits by outsourcing the delivery. I can't say I blame them one bit.

#938 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Do you tip your oven?

Only when I want to clean under it.

4 weeks later
    #1004 87 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Maybe the college students can pay for their own fucking student loans.

Yeah, I did something real crazy. I worked while in school and got a degree that i knew could pay off my loans in a few years. Brilliant!

#1013 87 days ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Went to Dennys for breakfast last Saturday.2 plates bacon and eggs with 2 coffees was almost 50 bucks before Gratuity.Geeze louise.
    delivered by a robot.Do I tip the Robot or tip the Robot?

I'll gladly order it on a screen and pick it up at the kitchen when ready. I don't see service jobs like this lasting.

#1014 87 days ago
    Quoted from benheck:

You have a job because I don't wanna change my own oil, but raise the price enough and I'll change my own oil.

I don't even trust them to change my oil right. The work ethic isn't there.

#1028 85 days ago
    FB_IMG_1706487178674 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1706487178674 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #1045 63 days ago

That's the flaw in the system.

2 weeks later
    #1075 46 days ago

I'm generally done with restaurants altogether. Prices are way up. Service, quality and quantity are down. I can cook better at home at a quarter of the price.

Except for weekly pizza that is....

#1113 41 days ago

I tried a delivery service once for food and once for groceries while on vacation. The food delivery was 90 minutes late and the food was cold. The grocery delivery was all wrong. I didn't tip for either and both times the person had a fit.

1 week later
    #1150 28 days ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Reporting in, the local liquor store now has a tip bucket next to the register.
    Granted, in Wisconsin at least, booze is the only "food item" to NOT jump 30-50% in the last 2 years but still...

You know, I didn't even realize this until you mentioned it. That just seems bizarre.

2 weeks later
    #1176 14 days ago

When you get a really good look at the eclipse.

FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yaksplat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control?tu=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.