(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#308 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Speaking of Vegas, tipping the front desk worker at a hotel there a good $50 or $100 usually get's me a suite upgrade for free, well worth it.

Serious question. Did you ever tip that amount and not get the upgrade? Or are you slick where you inquire about a possible upgrade and keep the money visible in your hand until the upgrade is made so as to not give a generous tip for nothing?

I always try to tip waiters/waitresses and bartenders etc in cash. We also specifically ask to be served by excellent service people who we know are good at what they do.I’ve had hostess/managers laugh out loud when we call in a reservation and request a server then say if that’s not possible Anyone Is fine except “Marlene”.
    After repeat visits to the same location we’ve learned who is a slacker chain smoker who disappears for extended smoke breaks every 20 min and/or repeatedly forgets to bring what we politely ordered.

#311 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

I would still like to see a Poll.
    Do You all think You should still tip for poor service ?
    I ask for certain Servers at my favorite places and they remember what me and my wife want
    and my tipping habits are probably why they do.
    Good service gets a great tip.

Exactly! I love it when I don’t remember to order something(no red onions on that please/well done fries/etc) how I normally do and but they remember and ask. You just earned a larger than normal tip and that’s why I requested your service!

#313 1 year ago

How about GOGO bar tipping ? I haven’t been to one in years but 20-25 years ago after the ladies finished their 2 or 3 song dance they made a trip around the bar and collected $1 from each patron. Whats the going rate now?

1 week later
    #471 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

If you're drinking in a bar in the US , do you have to tip every time you buy drink .

It’s expected if you pay for each drink or round as you are served. If sitting down and staying for a while they normally ask for a CC and start a tab so you don’t leave without paying. If the bartender or server knows you they normally don’t ask for the CC. Either way you don’t have to tip at all. It’s completely optional. I always tip at least a dollar or two per drink or beer but I’m not the kind of guy who takes a 4 or 6 pack to someone’s house to drink and takes the one or two beers that I don’t drink home with me!

#483 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

If you're drinking in a bar in the US , do you have to tip every time you buy drink .

Is Australia similar to the US or different?

#488 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

If you order a drink at whatever price , do they then add tax on top of it ?

Yes except these 4 states as far as I know.

CECCECD9-2A34-42EB-B101-83CEE72CD116 (resized).jpegCECCECD9-2A34-42EB-B101-83CEE72CD116 (resized).jpeg
    #492 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Yes except these 4 states as far as I know.
    [quoted image]

I believe Alaska should also be on the No sales tax list.

Never trust information you locate on the internet!

2 weeks later
    #561 11 months ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

OMG! WOW! how stupid can people be....I would have talked to the manager on principle, or maybe your were talking with the manager.

It’s full on Idiocracy out there just like the Mike Judge movie.

I went to H Depot to get house numbers for 6 homes. There are 3 numbers for each homes address so a grand total of (18) different numbers.
    I have them stacked up in piles so the cashier can scan (1) of each number and add a quantity of each.

The young cashier scans one of the numbers and adds a quantity of (18). I ask why she did that and say isn’t that going to mess up you inventory? She gets a disgusted look on her face and says”WHAT?”.

As I’m about to walk away she says “you sure have a lot of numbers in your address!”

#563 11 months ago

Every once in a while I need to use a moving company at work.
    The last time I used them I was their second move of the day. The crew leader says you seem much cooler than the last customer we worked for. He was kind of a Dick and after he signed all the paperwork saying the move was complete and nothing was damaged I asked him how about a tip? The customer replied “The tip of the day is don’t drink and drive!” Then he slammed the door in my face!

#575 11 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Why does that offend you to the point of losing your business?
    Cash is actually a hassle for a business to handle (unless they are pocketing to avoid taxes)
    Local NFL stadium went card only for everything, probably a huge savings even with the cc fees.

I figured that all the stadiums went to CC only so their employees couldn’t pocket the cash and rob them blind on the $25 beers that they sell.

#577 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Exactly! If they offer a cash discount though, I'm not averse, but usually you are paying the same price, so why not get the CC cashback?. I do try to carry emergency cash. I hate change in my pocket.

I tell my wife to always carry $40 in mixed bills for emergency use.
    She came home empty handed from Dairy Queen a few weeks ago. It was a Sunday night just before they closed and their CC machine was broken. I said didn’t you have any cash? She said I only had two dollars!
    I went to my wallet and gave her $30 in small bills and told her to not spend it.

#578 11 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

and they don't have to worry about counting and depositing cash after games

Good point! 10,000 beers at $20 each = big money. They would be a huge target in this day and age.

#596 11 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

This weekend I ordered Teriyaki Chicken for Home delivery from Panda Express,It came with no sauce.I called the manager and asked why no Teriyaki sauce again as this has happened before.The manager explains I must ask for Teriyaki sauce now because everyone doesnt like it.I explained Teriyaki Chicken with no sauce is called Chicken.I also asked if I need to ask for Orange sauce when ordering Orange Chicken.The silence was deafening.Starting Pay 16 to 18 hourly.

Mike Judge foresaw the future and we are quickly moving towards Idiocracy.
    My mother normally has a lot of patience. Recently my father took her out to get ice cream.
    She ordered a hot fudge sundae with vanilla ice cream. The young numb skull waitress asked if she wanted hot fudge on it!

8 months later
    #970 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

There are a lot of guys who ride the shovel all day for less.Spread the word if you see a guy doing hard manual labor to go to the restaurant industry.By the way how much does the dishwasher get ?

A paving Supervisor was yelling at his crew last year on one of my job sites. He said stop being “Shovel Models” and get to work!

I asked him what a shovel model was and he said it’s someone who leans on a shovel and looks pretty.

IMG_5906 (resized).jpegIMG_5906 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ultimategameroom.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control?tu=ultimategameroom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.