(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

12 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,152 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_103906_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20240309_212631 (resized).jpg
    20240309_210751 (resized).jpg
    20240309_210528 (resized).jpg
    20240309_211130 (resized).jpg
    20240309_172405 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    thumbnail_IMG_9576 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 10.43.49 PM (resized).png
    0286A029-ED64-4F3E-8001-91C6294F52A0 (resized).jpeg
    2248643e-0e7e-412f-8c37-67fdd18fc848_text.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elcolonel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 12 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I hate to sound like the Steve Buscemi character in Reservoir Dogs, but I feel tipping for a service has morphed into a monster in this country. It seemed to be heading that way prior to the pandemic and pre-Starbucks.... but not only has the standard 15 percent been eradicated, the list of services requesting/requiring a tip is insane. Anyhow....maybe I am just being a grumpy old man. What are your thoughts?

You may or may not be a grumpy old man, and I could sum it up in 1 sentence, but I would get moderated at the least. Suffice to say you are correct. "They have perverted everything". That is all I can say without reproach. That quotation may solicit reproach!

#203 12 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Well, I knew I would catch some flak for making this thread. I am no way attempting to demean service workers. I was one too at a certain point of my life. Do I think the system will ever change here? Not likely. I understand that this is not Europe where a fast food worker by law has to be paid a livable wage, complete healthcare and 21 days minimum vacation.
    My frustration simply boiled over recently when I received a point of sale receipt depicting three suggested tipping percentages, the lowest starting at 18 percent. Mind you, I got a tray....walked through a line, picked up a day old sandwich... and then proceeded to the cashier where I was told they do not accept cash.
    Please do not paint those who question the excessiveness of the current tipping culture with a broad brush.

Years ago when I was in a service industry job(yes a server at a long defunct steak house), the wage was $1.15 per hour, and the rest was from tips. The servers who were consistently positive and professional, generated the biggest %, of per table tips. In those days ALL TIPS went into a tip pool, and the bussers(individuals who cleaned the tables for the next sitting) shared(although at a lower % than the servers) from that pool. We were all young and narcissism was a foreign political tool. While the superior performers may have run their pie hole's, we got along, and all made out well by and large! As a 56 year old consumer now the potential to make good for all, is even greater(regardless of the split structure), because the majority of people who even show up for a shift is perverted. Good service can get rewarded now, more than ever, in our lifetime's!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elcolonel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control?tu=elcolonel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.